• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who is the best re-flocker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who is the best re-flocker

Looking for a good re-flocker Have about 30 or so heads that need to be re-done
    Thanx Ed

Of the folks who are still doing it, Ray of Flock Concepts does excellent work for very fair prices. I wouldn't hesitate to send him standard or custom work.

Comment

I agree - Ray of Flock Concepts does exceptional work. The length of the flock and the coloring is perfect. Looks just like factory. He does custom work too, if you'd like colors other than standard Land, Sea and Air Adventurer colors. I have 9 heads with him right now, and I've used him several times before. A google search will find him, or just email him at flockconcepts@live.com.

Mike.

Comment

Without hesitation, Ray is the go to guy. He has the closest to vintage flock out there that I have seen. Fast service to as I recall. Ray is one of the good guys of this hobby.
        - Scott
        PH and Proud
        Bulletmann - Hyatta
        See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

I've been doing my own lately, picked up a flocking machine from ebay and flock from just flock it

Here's the results so far

Wolf Flock Land Advenutrer by The Skull, on Flickr

By no means do I think I'm great, just offering an option for you to do your own.
          Last edited by The Skull; 11-03-2018, 03:11 PM.
          Visit my You Tube Channel to view my repair videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCutloOkBc0m6l_ePONmhYrw?view_as=subscriber

Comment

Here is the process I did

I use gorilla glue clear, 5 minutes working time, 24 hour full cure in case you were wondering.
            Visit my You Tube Channel to view my repair videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCutloOkBc0m6l_ePONmhYrw?view_as=subscriber

Comment

Originally posted by The Skull View Post
              I've been doing my own lately, picked up a flocking machine from ebay and flock from just flock it
              The color is pretty good. Did you mix the Flock It colors, or is that straight Brown right out of the package?

Comment

Originally posted by RX-79G View Post

The color is pretty good. Did you mix the Flock It colors, or is that straight Brown right out of the package?
                Mixed brown with a little blonde an red

Comment

Yeah, the wand is nice to start off with, I had one once but did not like the waste. Flocking machine is much better.

As for Flock It, be careful, their flock is not consistent. I ruined a half dozen heads with a velvet flock because it was marked incorrectly. It was not pretty, left color transfers on the heads and turned the glue to concrete.

Flock It sells strict color bags. What I mean is, brown is just brown, red is red and so on. Vintage colors are mixtures of colors. Brown, Black, Red, Yellow and Green were used on Land Adventurers and Talking Commanders alone. So to get the colors right you need to mix them.
                  - Scott
                  PH and Proud
                  Bulletmann - Hyatta
                  See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

Originally posted by GI Defender View Post
                    Yeah, the wand is nice to start off with, I had one once but did not like the waste. Flocking machine is much better.
                    Why is there waste? Can't you gather up the extra flock that falls, just like in a machine?

Comment

As for Flock It, be careful, their flock is not consistent. I ruined a half dozen heads with a velvet flock because it was marked incorrectly. It was not pretty, left color transfers on the heads and turned the glue to concrete.

Flock It sells strict color bags. What I mean is, brown is just brown, red is red and so on. Vintage colors are mixtures of colors. Brown, Black, Red, Yellow and Green were used on Land Adventurers and Talking Commanders alone. So to get the colors right you need to mix them.
                      I do my flocking over a paper plate and regather the extra, I have ordered from flock it 2 times, both were fine so far, but your right about those colors, they need to be mixed to get the vintage look.

Comment

Electrically charged dust particles have a mind of their own. Flock is no different. Flocking Wands use a shaker method which means you basically sprinkle electrically charged material to a item with a liquid glue brushed on. As the flock gets reused over time they will have accumulated dust, glue residue, and dirt from the repeated use. Flock is also a fine synthetic particle that once airborne finds its way to all kinds of places, not always to its intended target. Flocking Wands are great for landscapes or dioramas, but not what I would recommend for heads. Now, I say that, but understand, if you are doing one head or maybe two, the wand should do the trick. But if you are going to do 30 at a sitting, you will want a flocking machine.

I built my flocking machine and ATC helped me wire it up. It is self contained and draws the flock from the hopper to the head by means of a negative ion charge. Not the other way around like a wand does. I have re-flocked hundreds of heads with it and swear by it. I built it with a removable hopper and catch tray for the waste. I sift the waste and use it as filler for some of my customized colors. Most of the particles are trapped in the hopper and recirculates, meaning faster coverage time and less waste.

If folks are interested in building their own flock machine, Flock Concepts has directions on his site. Speaking of Flock Concepts, did I mention he is my recommendation for commercial re-flocking?
                        - Scott
                        PH and Proud
                        Bulletmann - Hyatta

Comment

Electrically charged dust particles have a mind of their own. Flock is no different. Flocking Wands use a shaker method which means you basically sprinkle electrically charged material to a item with a liquid glue brushed on. As the flock gets reused over time they will have accumulated dust, glue residue, and dirt from the repeated use. Flock is also a fine synthetic particle that once airborne finds its way to all kinds of places, not always to its intended target. Flocking Wands are great for landscapes or dioramas, but not what I would recommend for heads. Now, I say that, but understand, if you are doing one head or maybe two, the wand should do the trick. But if you are going to do 30 at a sitting, you will want a flocking machine.

I built my flocking machine and ATC helped me wire it up. It is self contained and draws the flock from the hopper to the head by means of a negative ion charge. Not the other way around like a wand does. I have re-flocked hundreds of heads with it and swear by it. I built it with a removable hopper and catch tray for the waste. I sift the waste and use it as filler for some of my customized colors. Most of the particles are trapped in the hopper and recirculates, meaning faster coverage time and less waste.

If folks are interested in building their own flock machine, Flock Concepts has directions on his site. Speaking of Flock Concepts, did I mention he is my recommendation for commercial re-flocking?
                          I would agree with that, for me the wand works great, but I'm just a hobbyist who does typically one head at a time, 30 is a tall order for a wand. I just enjoy doing it, its very rewarding getting those old joes back in action.

Sounds like you got your answer OP, Flock Concepts comes in as #1 rated, good luck with your projects

Comment

Awesome thread. I love talking about flocking. Are you happy using gorilla glue for the heads? I was using a white fabric glue that dries clear. It tended to have some running on the back side of the heads. Also, it would probably wash off. Ray, Flock Concept, uses a super compound. Scott what do you use?

Thanks,

jay

Comment

Originally posted by Aiwaloki View Post
                              Awesome thread. I love talking about flocking. Are you happy using gorilla glue for the heads? I was using a white fabric glue that dries clear. It tended to have some running on the back side of the heads. Also, it would probably wash off. Ray, Flock Concept, uses a super compound. Scott what do you use?

Thanks,

jay
                              Yeah so far gorilla glue clear has worked well, it came recommend by many facebook re-flocker groups, its very strong and water resistant, gives you 5 minutes work time which is just enough time, 24 hours for full cure, yet if you mess up it can clean off with alcohol. I started experimenting with flocking a few months ago with the puffer bottle technique.

I was not satisfied with the results, I wanted it to look like a factory finish so once I switched to the flocking machine wand I had found the results I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
                              X