• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your current project?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can find a replica dickie here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-GI-JOE...cAAOSwc65euGFf I've seen others on ebay too.

Comment

• Thanks John! It would seem it's one that is sold by 3rd son books. They have it for $4. I will see about getting one from them. But thanks again for the link!

Daryl

Comment

• Finally got the battery terminal part for the Mobile Support Center tonight. It was delivered to the wrong address, but a kind neighbor put it in my mailbox this evening. I'll post once I have a chance to install and test.

OK, I just tried it. The motor does not work. Don't know about the light, since I don't have one that's assembled. Rats!
        Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 08-25-2020, 12:21 AM.

Comment

• I had a motor that didn't work once. I blasted it full of liquid wrench and let it sit overnight and soak. Then I blew it out with some choke cleaner. Then I could turn the motor shaft with my fingers. It spun easily. I hooked it up to a battery and it worked! You might get the motor to work if you mess with it. If it's been burned out due to somebody running too much voltage through it or something, then you're probably out of luck. But don't give up yet!

Comment

• Sounds like a lot of work. I'll have to see how to remove the engine, and then pick up some liquid wrench. Plus some choke cleaner. I never work on cars, so don't have these things on hand. Anything else recommended?

Comment

• I received this Tonka Rescue Team Hummer about a year ago in a trade. Noticed some rust on a lot of the screws holding it together but didn't think much of it. Put it on a shelf and ignored it. A few weeks ago, I decided to pull it off the shelf and inspect it more closely. I thought I'd just pop the top off the chassis and give it a good wash. The electronics are intertwined throughout it so I kept taking more and more of it apart to try to separate them from the body. As I did so I realized just how filthy this thing was inside. There was dirt, grass, leaves, spider cocoons and things the origin of which I dare not speculate. As you see I had to completely disassemble every bit of it in order to clean it thoroughly.

The tan interior pieces were discolored and brownish-looking, so I wound up giving them the Retrobrite treatment. I'm not sure if the electronics work properly or not. I didn't have any "C" batteries to test it, but I did supply some current to the positive and negative battery terminals with a DC wall wart. The speaker crackled a little and the headlights lit up, so there's hope. Now comes the daunting task of trying to reassemble it all. Have to admit, this is a well engineered toy. Reassembly will be like building a plastic model car kit, only with screws instead of glue. Did I mention this thing is held together with about 10,000 screws?

Comment

• Purchased two nice tall black boots for my 4th and final PH Action Sailor in Shore Patrol uniform. This was the last piece I needed (other than an armband!). But they'll all look good together out on the town!

Comment

• Originally posted by Myles_Falworth View Post
                  Sounds like a lot of work. I'll have to see how to remove the engine, and then pick up some liquid wrench. Plus some choke cleaner. I never work on cars, so don't have these things on hand. Anything else recommended?

Another hobby of mine is 1/10 scale RC racing trucks. A company called Duratrax makes an electric motor cleaner called Power Shot. You spray it into the motor until the runoff is clear. But after cleaning, you will need to lubricate the bushings at the ends of the
                  inner shaft of the commutator. These products can be found at RC hobby stores.

However, carb cleaner has another use, it will kill carpenter bees.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shermanator View Post
                    ...... so I wound up giving them the Retrobrite treatment.
                    I'm curious, what is the Retrobrite treatment? I haven't heard of that. Is this vehicle 1/6 scale?

Comment

• Originally posted by TNshooter View Post

I'm curious, what is the Retrobrite treatment? I haven't heard of that. Is this vehicle 1/6 scale?

Yes, this is a Hummer scaled for 12 inch Action figures and made by Tonka. It is mostly plastic; not metal like most Tonka vehicles. The "retrobrite" process was discovered by vintage computer enthusiasts to restore the color of plastic cases of 1980's home computers that had become yellowed due to exposure to UV light over the decades. To do it, you coat the plastic with some peroxide cream purchased from a store that sells women's hair care products, like Sally Beauty Supply, then wrap it in clear plastic cling wrap and expose it to sunlight for a few hours. It's kind of a paradox that you use the UV light of the sun to undue the discoloration that was *caused* by UV light. I used "Saloncare 40" peroxide cream.

Attached are before-and-after pictures of the interior, showing the restoration of the seats and floor after giving them the treatment.

Comment

• That's interesting Shermanator! I hadn't heard of that treatment before. Seems to work very well!

I didn't know that Tonka made a 1/6 scale Hummer. I wouldn't mind having one in my motor pool. I have a couple of older Tonka's, the black Bronco and the Chevron version.

Thanks for the info.

Daryl

Comment

• Great INTEL on the peroxide treatment! I hadn't heard of that one either! Genius!

Comment

• Shermanator
                            Shermanator commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Glad to be of help! I also used this method on some figure heads that had Sharpie markers on them and it helped fade the marker.

• Here is the Tonka Rescue Team Hummer, cleaned up and reassembled. I removed all the original electronics because some capacitors had leaked on the circuit board and it no longer worked. I don't really have the skills to try to replace the capacitors and try to clean up the circuit board. I would like to try to install some LED lights in the headlights and the rooftop spotlights, maybe using an R/C truck light kit.

My childhood Land Adventurer and Captain Action took it out for a test drive today.

Comment

• Looks great! I had read that the

Retrobright process generally reverses itself after some time. Has anyone seen that happen themselves?
                            Danny(Drquest)
                            Captain Action HQ
                            Custom Shirts

Comment

• Originally posted by drquest View Post
                              Looks great! I had read that the

Retrobright process generally reverses itself after some time. Has anyone seen that happen themselves?
                              Danny, I wonder if it depends on whether or not the item continues to be exposed to UV light, such as household lighting. Time will tell...

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X