• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for another adventure team mod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for another adventure team mod

I finally came across six more yellow hub Tonka wheels. Four of them match and two of them have deeper hubs. They look identical at a glance, though. I'll put the four matching ones in the rear and the two with deeper hubs will go in the front. I'll just say they have "locking hubs" and call it good.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200928_210051636~2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	4401 When I was a kid I thought the MSV looked absolutely ridiculous with those miniature wheels. What a terrible design! A couple of years ago I put Tonka wheels on an MSV, and it turned a ridiculous vehicle into one that was suddenly cool. If only I'd thought of this when I was a kid...
    - ATC

I never thought of the MSV wheels looking small. Until I saw your photo comparison. It does look better with the larger wheels.

Comment

Yep, huge difference!

Name:	IMG_20181112_172501937~3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	4414
      Last edited by ATC; 09-30-2020, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATC View Post
        Yep, huge difference!

Name:	IMG_20181112_172501937~3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	4414
        The wheels look good, but doesn't that prohibit separating the cab from the body?

Comment

The cab no longer separates from the cargo section, but I always thought that it was silly to separate the cab anyway. How could it propel itself? Where's the motor? Where's the gas tank? "This is ridiculous" I thought, even as a kid. The six-wheeled Big Trapper version made a lot more sense to me as a kid. I never had one though. ??

Comment

Originally posted by ATC View Post
            How could it propel itself? Where's the motor?
            A friend of mine made a rollback out of an old Isuzu box truck. It has a small cab, and the motor is actually under the seats. Considering the storage and tech in the back, the MSV could have been made the same way.

My younger brother had the Big Trapper, it was a cool vehicle. Except when you rolled it down a hill. The cab had a tendency to roll over and it would be rolling down the hill with the cab upside down and the back upright.

I would like to get a MSV. Even with the small wheels. I always thought it was a great vehicle.

Daryl

Comment

Aside from little wheels, I agree! It packed a lot of play value one place for Joe. The little whirly gig was a great little piece of high-tech equipment in the early 1970s. It's also easy to upgrade for today's kids. I added a radio controlled micro drone with a bluetooth camera that provides a live video feed to my phone and (as you can see from the pic) is hardly bigger than the original whirlygig!
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180806_202921899~4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	93.9 KB ID:	4434
              It would be cool to replace the slide out computer control panel sticker in the back of the msv with a custom one made of sheet plastic with a few flashing lights here and there and a variety of switches to make it look like a Battlestar Galactica or Starship
              Enterprise console... that also houses an old cell phone, then you could shoot the video from the micro drone to the old cell phone -- and it would look like part of the GI Joe msv computer system... to be more easily monitored by the watchful eye of the GiJoe adventure team!

Too many projects... too little time!!!
              ??

Comment

That tiny drone has a camera? That is cool.

Comment

I think it's a "Potensic A20W Mini Drone with Camera" from Amazon.

Comment

Working...
                  X