• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joint pin sizes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint pin sizes

Which of Joe's joint pins are interchangeable? Is the knee and shoulder the same? Elbow and knee the same? Are ANY of them interchangeable?
    Random pin

Dave, that looks to be a wrist pin in the picture.

What I recall,

Wrist and Ankle are the same.

Knee pegs look similar but are larger than the elbow. Both larger than the wrist pegs.

The bicep peg has no place for a rivet and is just a pin that holds the two parts together.

Hope that helps
    - Scott
    PH and Proud
    Bulletmann - Hyatta
    See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

The one in my pic was ordered as a replacement knee peg from Cotswold. But it's too big! Wondered what they sent me...

Comment

Does anyone know the sizes of tubular rivets for replacement? My one Joe from my childhood has very loose knees and can't stand on his own. If I know what size to get to replace them, I would be GREATLY appreciative.

Daryl

Comment

Originally posted by TNshooter View Post
          Does anyone know the sizes of tubular rivets for replacement? My one Joe from my childhood has very loose knees and can't stand on his own. If I know what size to get to replace them, I would be GREATLY appreciative.

Daryl
          Don't replace the rivets, just tighten them up by tapping the tube end with an appropriate sized punch.

Comment

What Daryl said. Just be careful and don't overdo it.

Comment

I picked up some punches a bit ago, in the hopes of tightening the ones my Joe has. I'm just afraid of busting his knees. When I was a kid, I had an older cousin that would visit, Everytime he folded my Action Soldier and stuffed in under the hood
              of my 5 Star Jeep. He was twice my size and not nice. But my mother insisted he visit me in my room. Since he is my only remaining Joe from my childhood, I want to make him a soldier again, that can stand on his own. I plan to get a new elastic
              kit from Cotswold, after I'm able to fix his knees. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Comment

Originally posted by TNshooter View Post
                I picked up some punches a bit ago, in the hopes of tightening the ones my Joe has. I'm just afraid of busting his knees. When I was a kid, I had an older cousin that would visit, Everytime he folded my Action Soldier and stuffed in under the hood
                of my 5 Star Jeep. He was twice my size and not nice. But my mother insisted he visit me in my room. Since he is my only remaining Joe from my childhood, I want to make him a soldier again, that can stand on his own. I plan to get a new elastic
                kit from Cotswold, after I'm able to fix his knees. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.
                None of which changes the fact that the knee joints are loose because the rivets are no longer tight enough. Whether the rivets are old or new the have to be tight to put friction on the plastic.

Put the head of the rivet against something protective like leather belt, non-corrugated cardboard or a soft pine board and gently tap the flared side to tighten it in small increments using a punch of the same diameter as the outside flared width of the rivet. The rivets are aluminum and don't require much force to change shape.

Generally, you are more likely to break something trying to hammer out rivets than tweak the old ones.

I wouldn't buy a restringing kit as those have you re-rivet the thigh. Just buy elastic and two small hooks instead of using the crimped solid loops. The original stringing design is great for factory production, not for restoration.

Last edited by RX-79G; 08-27-2018, 12:30 AM.

Comment

I tried replacing two dried and broken KFG hands on a vintage Joe, and the pegs on those are way bigger than the replacement hands I got from Cotswold. The new hands just fell off!

Comment

Originally posted by Myles_Falworth View Post
                    I tried replacing two dried and broken KFG hands on a vintage Joe, and the pegs on those are way bigger than the replacement hands I got from Cotswold. The new hands just fell off!
                    What fell off? The pegs fell out of the forearms, or the pins fell out of the hands?

If we are talking about the peg and the forearms, I'm wondering if some Action Man parts got substituted? The wrist pegs are a different diameter (I think AM are bigger).

Is it possible one or the other parts are AM, not GI Joe?

Comment

Originally posted by ATC View Post
                      Which of Joe's joint pins are interchangeable? Is the knee and shoulder the same? Elbow and knee the same? Are ANY of them interchangeable?
                      FYI, none of the joints are the same. Cotswold lists knee, wrist and foot pegs differently, and even knee, wrist and foot rivets differently. And they look different in photos.

The one you show is quite clearly a foot peg from its wide loop.

Comment

Originally posted by RX-79G View Post

What fell off? The pegs fell out of the forearms, or the pins fell out of the hands?

If we are talking about the peg and the forearms, I'm wondering if some Action Man parts got substituted? The wrist pegs are a different diameter (I think AM are bigger).

Is it possible one or the other parts are AM, not GI Joe?
                        The pegs fell out of the forearms. The Joe is definitely a Joe. So the pegs on the Cots hands were smaller. I put a nosepicker right hand on him, and it fit perfectly. So now I'm in the market for a left hard hand.

Comment

The pegs fell out of the forearms. The Joe is definitely a Joe. So the pegs on the Cots hands were smaller. I put a nosepicker right hand on him, and it fit perfectly. So now I'm in the market for a left hard hand.
                          I've used a lot of Cots replacement hands and never came across that. Hard to say why that would happen - all the Cots, Hasbro original and repro, Ertl and Takara wrist pegs are the same and I have mixed them all.

Comment

Thanks RX-79G for the tips on tightening the rivets.

Originally posted by RX-79G View Post

I wouldn't buy a restringing kit as those have you re-rivet the thigh. Just buy elastic and two small hooks instead of using the crimped solid loops. The original stringing design is great for factory production, not for restoration.
                            Personally I was planning on doing as others have, cut the loop next to the elastic, bending it to where I can hook it on the original thigh rivet, and then bending it back straight. That way the rivet wouldn't have to be removed.

Comment

Some years back I purchased hard hands from Cots. They came with teflon tape on the pegs. You can try the teflon tape to thicken the peg so it will stay in.

Comment

Working...
                              X