• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are you with the hobby?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've converted my Fiancee's younger brother. Birthdays and Christmases we try to get him either a new figure (Cotswold) or some gear (also Cotswold).

Comment

Where am I with the hobby...well, having moved and not found another place yet, my whole collection is in boxes in a storage unit...No place to display it...So what do I do today?, turn around and pick up a sweet, unused Troubleshooter set mib...With no place to put it once it comes...lol...Im so addicted....

Comment

• KneonKnight
        KneonKnight commented
        Editing a comment
        That, ladies and gentleman, is a TRUE collector.

• Vintagefan70
        Vintagefan70 commented
        Editing a comment
        lol...what can I say, I hate to pass up an opportunity...

Where I'm at right now is trying to fill a couple of holes in what was once a collection of over 75 figures and half a dozen vehicles. I don't even bother with the vintage stuff anymore since I lost most of what I had in a rather ugly divorce (never mind I had owned all of it since I was a child) and am now concentrating on Timeless and 40th Anniversary Joe/Action Man, with a few Geyperman re-issues thrown into the mix. My daughter and I are currently working on a Patrol Boat and Flying Saucer based on the cheap plastic sleds you can buy at discount stores and dollar stores, and I'm hoping to eventually complete a 1/6 M24 "Chaffee" tank I began a couple of years ago. Cotswold is my main source of replacement/reproduction parts, and I've got a few kit bashes I've done. So, even though my collection is smaller, I think it is actually more varied now, and I don't think I'm going to give up the hobby anytime soon.

Comment

• Vintagefan70
        Vintagefan70 commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, sorry to here about losing your joes to the ex...Ive had to get rid of some boxed sets in the past that go for HIGH dollar now, what with Ebay and all, due to money issues...Not the same thing, but still hurts....Honestly though, I think half the fun of this hobby is the hunt...

Thanks for the sympathy, but it was over 10 years ago, and now I can be a bit looser with my collection. Heck, my daughter and I have regular playtime with the guys and her AT Barbies she put together with Cotswold parts and a lot of imagination. I'll leave the vintage stuff to guys who don't have rowdy children and cats; the repro stuff is much easier and cheaper to replace, plus, I don't have to feel bad about a repaint or camo job here and there.

Comment

Kinda back where I started. Even though I have boxes of untouched stuff in storage, I'm still compelled to keep the Joe flag flying. Really interested in picking up some more repro stuff like the Falcons. I've gotten some great stuff in the last year or so and I want to spend some time really messing around with it. Unfortunately a lot of it I purchased and then just sat it in boxes. So I'm going to explore some of that, while picking up some new stuff too. It's an odd time in the hobby and yet, I'm really excited for some reason.
        Join the adventure! http://www.adventureteamheadquarters.com

Comment

I've slowed down a bit. Running out if things that truly inteest me. Still bought an arm load of stuff at Joelanta. I pass on common items any more figuring I don't need it.

Comment

Comment

I'll admit I'm a bit late to the party here. I saw my first 12" Joe that I remember in 1970 when the Adventure team hit my local stores. I rediscovered them in the 90s with the Classic Collection and then branched out into 21CT Ultimate Solders and then Blue Box. My collecting has slowed down a bit, mainly due to running out of space and having accomplished most of the kit-bashing projects I had really wanted to do as opposed to losing interest. Most of my current collection is CC and 40th Anniversary figures with a few non-Hasbro sci fi & comic book characters. I'll be in it for the long haul yet, but definitely choosier and more patient in adding to my troops. I hope to come here regularly and share some.

Comment

I guess I am finished. I have some pieces I will keep, but I don't see me bying anyhing in the future.

Comment

When I first got into the hobby, I was collecting the small Joes, because that was all I could find in my area. Later I discovered Cotswold, and then the internet and ebay. Since then it has been nothing but vintage '60's and '70's. A time hit that I didn't collect much, then I discovered around 2004 there was apparently a surge in 1/6 figures. For a few years I was collecting everything 1/6 that interested me, vintage and modern.

But a few years ago I hit burn out. I haven't collected much of anything since.

But lately I've had a renewed interest, and just tonight I was perusing Cotswold's site. With the club shutting down, they are pretty much the only people giving us 1/6 collectors any love. But I was alarmed at what they had. I have a few vintage Hasbro Japanese uniforms that I planned to complete with Elite parts and get some figures for. They don't even have Arisaka rifles anymore. Or any of the other repro pieces for the Japanese soldier. But they do have a new line of Cyber figures, and space outfits.

Lately I found a youtube user that has the entire Rat Patrol series which I have been watching. There's no way I would cannibalize a 5 star jeep for the project, but I have a jeep somewhere that is either Power Team or Soldiers of the World that I wouldn't mind customizing to make a Rat Patrol unit. And, I went to Stewart's Attic because I seem to remember him having Civil War hats. But his site has some links, but his store is closed. I was wanting to put together one unit with Sgt Troy and his driver.

I wish I hadn't burned out when I did. I didn't think that parts I planned to get would disappear so soon. So I guess I'm SOL.

Comment

I am maintaining my existing troupe, but no longer actively seeking new (to me) members. I still come across interesting head sculpts* (male & female) from time to time. If they are reasonably priced, I still can't bring myself to leave them behind.

*Head sculpts are the focus of my collection.
                    A J?e Poser
                    http://hunksofplastic.blogspot.com/2...Joe-Poser.html
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/studio...57626126245473

Comment

Consider me the addict. I have a hard time saying no to another joe... LOL Ive been buying.

Im trying to figure out a way to retire and then sell and play with my joes full time- for real. :-)

Im super optimistic about the future of 12" GI Joe. I think we are heading into the golden era of collecting. I think there is a large group of baby boomers who are retiring and their kids are out of college. They are going to be looking for fun and what fun do you have but go back to your happiest times.. when you were a kid playing with GI JOE.

Its true the common stuff is getting cheaper but the rare stuff and packaged stuff is holding value and getting more expensive.

ANYWAY.. keep digging guys. There is a ton of this stuff still out there.

:-)

Comment

Working...
                      X