• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kentuckiana GI Joe Toy Expo AAR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kentuckiana GI Joe Toy Expo AAR

Just got back from the Kentuckiana Show and am completely wore out. Fitting in all that fun into a few short days is getting harder and harder as I grow older. But boy is it fun while it is happening!

First off, Job well done to Steve Stovall and his staff! This show is a must attend show for us annually now. Not a huge show like what have become accustomed to by any stretch, but a fantastic small show that is ran efficiently and has a wide variety of toys to browse thru. Naturally, when we go we look specifically for GI Joe because that is what draws us in, but there was a lot of other things to look thru and yes, I did break down and get a couple of carded 1990's X-Men figures for the kids.

We arrived a little earlier into town that normal so we drove out to Pat Kelly's farm and hung with him and Colleen for the afternoon. Pat is training to become a firefighter and did not think he would be able to make the show, so a visit to his place was a must. Nothing more relaxing than the calm before the storm sitting in the Kentucky countryside eating home grown peppers and slammin a Fresca!

Arrived at the show prior to the opening and ran into Dave (ATC) and introduced him to the posse. We all sat in the foyer discussing strategies and going over lists in our heads. When the doors opened about 25-30 early birds wandered in. Dave headed straight to Ricky Puckett's footlocker of Joes and I went in and said hi to a few of our vendor friends before I started to shop. It should be noted that NOBODY had a bigger smile than Dave, each time we saw him he was hauling more loot out to his room/car. Ran into Scott Wilde who I had to begrudgingly hand over one of my talkers to for him to fix. I had it going. . .tried to make it better . . .then realized after it stopped working that I am not a person who fixed talkers.

I stopped by Ricky's footlocker after Dave and a few others got into it and was able to pull out a few fellas that needed to come home with me. Not sure why and Lord knows I don't need them, but these three in particular when I grabbed them REALLY caught my attention, so I bought them all for $100.

All three were vintage, with vintage accessories. Both Marines were in Japan Tagged uniforms, sadly, the soldier was in a Master Piece uniform but the Jacket was Japan tagged and he had vintage tall black boots, so I call that a wash. The soldier is currently undergoing his spa treatment and will soon stand under his own power again. The Marines I will work on over the next few weeks.

I hit a dollar bin and snagged a couple of nice pieces as well. A green tent (Japan Tagged) and an early issue Carbine with bluish paint. The carbine now sporting a new sling and oiler I got from Camo a few weeks ago I might add

Also picked up a few odds and ends (and a few grenades I found in the parking lot shhh) Got me a couple of left feet so now when I need them I will have them. That or I will start finding figures now with two left feet instead of two rights which is probably more my luck) Snagged some holsters needing nubs (see reference to Camo again) and after much haggling, got a spare hand. Lastly, a few pair of tall browns which I always seem to run out of.

Also snatched up another Marine tent and a roached pack for a few bucks.

My Cotswold experience was not as expected since someone went in and cleaned them out of restringing kits as soon as the doors opened. Still grabbed up some stuff I needed and also grabbed another of their muscle bodies so I can dress him in my KY Show exclusive. Also grabbed a few Muscle Body repair kits and a couple pairs of KFG hands (just because)

The Kentucky Show Exclusive homage to Logan's Run. Two outfits, hand jewel and a SWEET custom box with original artwork. Almost too nice to open. . .almost.

Last thing I grabbed was the Club Normandy Ranger for a whopping $10. I had him already in multiples but honestly, seeing it just setting there ignored made me sad and I had to grab him. I remember these were SO well loved when they came out. Only to be forgotten in toy lore. For those who don't know, the uniform this figure is wearing is the uniform that would have been on the Saving Private Ryan (Tom Hanks) figure, had it been released.

So this is a quick peek at what I picked up, now for the review:

We did the Friday preview for an extra $10 and it was worth it to me just to see the lay of the land. For me it is easier to make a plan of attack when you now what direction you need to travel.

The show was small but well attended with possibly the most cordial attendees I have ever seen at a show. The show staff were readily available and easily identified in the crowd. Vendors were plentiful with a great selection. Items seen ranged from McDonald's toys to Sealed Big Trappers. Basically if you wanted it, you could get it there. The sealed Big Trapper sold and the guy that bought it, opened it much to the shreaks of horror from the crowd. After he broke the seal he stuck his head in the box so he could inhale the smell of 1977. I personally missed the grand opening but will tell you, word of the opening spread like wild fire thru the sales floor. We all have always wondered what we would do if we ever found a sealed piece of a set we wanted. This guy knew exactly what he wanted to do and he did!

I picked all my stuff at a variety of booths, some of which were folks I did not know but every one was a pleasure to deal with as everyone had a smile on their face. Folks were happy to be there.

There was a back room of vendors that could have been over looked had we not know about it, But Larry at the front desk was very quick to let all attendees know so they would not be over looked. That area was where I scored the carded X-Men figures.

Food wise, there was a cafe next door with great food and a Cracker Barrel within walking distance. Hotel also had a buffet breakfast that we opted for. . .but next time I am thinking Cracker Barrel instead.

After the show shut down and packed out about 20 of us went to Steve's house to view his collection and walked down the street for a plate of Joella's hot chicken which is becoming the tradition.

During Breakfast on travel day, folks were selling off stuff they didn't want to take home so the deals never ended.

Char and I talked in depth about this experience as we drove home. The one thing that to us made it so successful was the timing. Summer coming to an end, kids still out of school, folks looking for stuff to do or places to go hang with friends, it just seemed right. Location, right off the main highway and within 5 min of a wide variety of restaurants. Traffic was kinda a drag though, I only got flipped off once this year!

Size was not a factor, it is a small show with a big show feel. Adding the "Early Bird" preview to the one day show is perfect. Gives attendees just enough extra time to pick up items that will likely sell out from Cotswold and also gives you 12 hours of thinking before you pull the trigger on that big ticket item.

Hotel was clean and the staff were what you would expect from a Hilton. Was not overly impressed with the bed but by the second day we were so worn out, it really didn't matter.

In the end, no regrets on anything we did, saw or bought this trip. Got to chill with friends and make new friends as well. I would recommend this show to anyone. Especially if you are within a reasonable driving distance, there is no reason not to attend. Believe me, you won't regret it!

Hats off to Steve Stovall for another great show!

- Scott
    PH and Proud
    Bulletmann - Hyatta
    See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Great AAR Scott. Spot on!

Comment

Here are the three vintage figures all cleaned and repaired:

The soldier was deep cleaned and restrung. The banged up nose was sanded and smoothed and the hair and brows were touched up. I replaced the ME uniform he was wearing with an early carded soldier's uniform to go with his Japan tagged field jacket. Also removed the tall black boots and replaced them with tall browns. The belt and pack/tent/e-tool also came with him. I added the repro dog tag and a vintage helmet and rifle.

Marine 1 turns out was an early issue guy. I knew he had an older head judging from the shape and paint application. But was surprised to discover early issue parts to go with it. Beefy right hand, two baby feet and early Japan uniform and accessories. The only down side was the left fore arm and hand were the only two non original parts. I am thinking since he is an early TM, the fore arm may have cracked and someone just replaced it from the parts bin. Such a shame. Did not have to restring him, only touched up his hair and removed that ratty parachute he had, Added my $1 rifle and a helmet and called him done!

Second Marine turns out, had perfect hair! just needed to clean him up and touch up his brows. Cleaned his uniform and changed his cartridge belt for a pistol belt and gave him a hat. Thinking he will become my radio man.

Best $100 investment in the hobby in awhile. Almost all early Japan uniforms and accessories, nice clean figures and a couple of hours of Joe Therapy in my work shop. It doesn't get any better.
      - Scott
      PH and Proud
      Bulletmann - Hyatta
      See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

Looks great! Wish we had shows like this in my neck of the woods (PNW). How did you get those ratty looking pockets on the field jacket to look so good? It looks like a completely different item.

Comment

Did a wash in cold water and mild detergent to get the dirt out, then laid it flat on some paper towels to dry. As it was drying I clipped a lot of the loose threads. Checked back several times to ensure the pockets stayed flat and the collars didn't curl. Each time I checked I gently flattened the pocket flaps to the correct position. Once dry, they stay in place.
          - Scott
          PH and Proud
          Bulletmann - Hyatta

Comment

It was good seeing you and Charlotte again, Scott!

Comment

Originally posted by GI Defender View Post
              Did a wash in cold water and mild detergent to get the dirt out, then laid it flat on some paper towels to dry. As it was drying I clipped a lot of the loose threads. Checked back several times to ensure the pockets stayed flat and the collars didn't curl. Each time I checked I gently flattened the pocket flaps to the correct position. Once dry, they stay in place.
              Thanks! When you wash vintage items, is it by hand or are you comfortable putting them in the washing machine?

Comment

Hand wash. Machine washing will all but remove most of the dye.

Whites I scrub with soft scrub with bleach the rinse thoroughly for heavy stains and then soak over night in Efferdent. Just drop in a few tablets in cold water and submerge the outfit.

Sometimes when I am in a hurry I will drop a camo uniform in Efferdent as well, no pre-scrub. Just let the bubbles clean the material, not leaving it longer than an hour.

Sailor work uniform is a easy hand wash as well. The SP uniform is tricky because of the white piping. The dark blue dye will bleed into it so I would not clean those. also, orange Pilot suits will fade with the mere presence of water so display them dirty as well.
                - Scott
                PH and Proud
                Bulletmann - Hyatta

Comment

Comment

One of my Kentuckiana Joes got triple-cleaned and restrung. Came out great! Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180812_151258973~2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	56.1 KB ID:	1487 added a $5 GB uni that I picked up there, too. Cots M-16 and boots, ammo belt came with Joe, beret modern repro, Camo radio came from somebody's $1 junk bin, and I found an old action man bazooka in my stuff. All together, I think it makes a pretty respectable Green Beret! I just need to keep my eyes out for one green button!
                    Last edited by ATC; 08-14-2018, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X