• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sticky Head Joes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky Head Joes

One of my vintage Joe has a soft, flexible head. It feels sort of tacky to the touch. This is very different than the hard head joes. What's up with the tacky sticky head Joes? Were they identified with a particular year perhaps?

Sometime after 1966, the plastic/rubber formula Hasbro used for G.I. Joe heads changed. From what I have read, the original heads 1964-1966 were one time soft when new. The plastic formula used during those years hardens with age. It will also shrink too, causing the head post to eventually show as it pushes against the top of the head.

The G.I. Joe heads beginning from around 1967 and later were more of a vinyl rubber formula that stays flexible and can sometimes feel sticky to the touch. Late 1960s painted head G.I. Joes and all Adventure Team (fuzzy head) G.I. Joes are in this category. I have seen variations but most remain pliable and sometimes feel sticky or waxy to the touch. This kind of rubber attracts mildew and mold. I have found some old G.I. Joes in damp basements with their faces completely covered in gray mold. It wipes off with a damp rag, but is still annoying.

This is just my two cents worth. Hope that helps.
    "I've got a tough assignment for you."
    Actively collecting since '97.
    Original Trenches member.
    ?????
    ?????

Comment

Working...
    X