• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vintage question on hats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage question on hats

I have recently gotten into vintage collecting - at long last! So I have a newbie question, which I haven't found an answer to anywhere. I have a lot of hats - the green fatigue cap, and some say "GI JOE BY HASBRO MADE IN USA" while others say "MADE IN HONG KONG" with a diamond symbol just underneath the words. Are they both Hasbro? Or is the Hong Kong cap a knock off? Thanks!

The cap with the diamond symbol is a knockoff. I've seen that diamond symbol on a figure marked Mintex.

The figure looks to be a rebadged Fighting Yank with a blow molded body and rubber coated wire arms. Some folks are certain Mintex is an acronym for Mego International Textiles but that was never a legal name of the Mego Corporation. Someone here did some research and claimed that Mintex was a separate enity unconnected to Mego.

So, what you have is a knockoff of a knockoff. Some of us are fond of collecting knockoffs.

Comment

Thanks! Can't believe how much knock-off stuff there is out there. I know this is old hat to you guys, but I'm surprised. I've also - in the course of purchasing Gi Joe equipment, have acquired a lot of Big Jim and even Action Jackson stuff! I even now have a Big Jim figure and an Action Jackson - both with leg or foot problems. Funny that Mego is once again producing Action Jackson.

Comment

You might also find hats with Hasbro Hong Kong on them, and those are from the vintage carded sets I'm told. And if you see any with Hasbro China, they are more recent re-issue caps.
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Custom Shirts

Comment

Yeah, I know about the China repros. That's all I've been collecting the past 18 years or so. Till now. But thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X