• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much is too much?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is too much?

I room with my brother. Between us we collect action figures(not as much as we used too), G.I.Joe, comics, video games, and horror/sci fi items. About 10 years ago, we purged our collections and sold a bunch of stuff, since we had a bunch of stuff sitting in closets for years(we have since added to it.) So, my question is, when does it get to a point where its just too much? Or, will it ever get to that point?
    The Joe Collecting "Geek".
    Visit my online art store for some cool art prints:
    www.etsy.com/shop/geekdragonart
    Also follow me on Twitch for some video game goodness at:
    www.twitch.tv/miketheretrogamer
    Want to see my collection? Check out my Instagram:
    www.instagram.com/miketheretrogamer
    Want to see my new art? Check out:
    www.instagram.com/geekdragonart

Hi all!

As long as you're not ready to be featured on an episode of "Hoarders," you're good.

James

Comment

With anything in life, there is a breaking point. Like you I have closets full of stuff I have not touched for years. Talked to Char about selling off my club sets but she talked me out of it. I still have several doubles of some of them.

I posted these images in the Facebook Trenches a few weeks ago.

As I was cleaning my shelves I was counting my figures and realized I had 30+ Marines on display in my collection. (Just marines mind you) Considering that in the PH era there were limited amounts of accessories available, it took me until now to realize that by swapping accessories around, while staying in the Action Marine theme, it was possible to come up with that many variations. Same could be said for the soldiers. Looking at my shelf it is easy to see that the Army and Marine figures are the best represented. So I continually challenge myself to come up with new variations to continue. Slowly running myself out of room. But then it is off to Ikea to buy more shelves.

At this point I think you have two choices, get a bigger place, or kick your brother out.
      - Scott
      PH and Proud
      Bulletmann - Hyatta
      See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

• Blackie
        Blackie commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful collection! If you enjoy them then no matter what you have and how many its worth it!

LOL. I've thought about kicking my brother out, but it hasn't gotten to that point yet. Like I said, I did sell off a bunch of stuff and I still have a closet full. I have 2 totes full of modern 12" figures and like 7 vintage footlockers full of misc. gear and add the 14 long boxes full of comics, all the video games, and everything else I collect, sometimes it's like "wow, I have a lot of stuff." Luckily I don't buy nearly as much as I used too. Now I just buy what I like.

Comment

Well, there's your answer! Get rid of all the comic books, horror and sci-fi stuff, and non-Joe action figures... Then you'll have room for more Joe stuff!!! Easy solution;
        You're welcome.
        ?

Comment

Originally posted by GeekDragon View Post
          when does it get to a point where its just too much? Or, will it ever get to that point?
          I would say when you can't pay your bills anymore, or get to your curtains of a night to draw them, that's where i am right now, I'm having to use a fishing rod to pull my curtains at night LOL!

I like comfort hoarding and will never feel guilty about it, so don't ever let anyone ever tell you that hoarding is a bad thing, because it's not, it's much better and safer than alcohol).

Happy hoarding

Fall in A, fall in B, fall in all the company!

Comment

I have a Joe room in the basement. It doesn't matter how much stuff I have in there... . so long as I don't spill out to any other space in the house, then my wife is fine with it.

Comment

GI Defender,

That is such a fine collection you have with so much to take in, you have some really nice pieces amongst that lot, especially the framed artwork, very cool!!!

Comment

Thanks, Here are a few shots of some of my artwork I have displayed. The two paintings were done by Buddy Finethy, the Bulletman drawing was by David Howard who also did the Obey the Commander and the repro advertisement, The RAH drawings were from a comic artist we met years ago whose name escapes me right now. Also some framed box inserts and lastly my signed Petrucci art.

- Scott
                PH and Proud
                Bulletmann - Hyatta
                See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

Scott, the comic art was one by Tim Seeley(May have spelled his last name wrong). I've gotten his autograph on a bunch of Joe comics, so I recognize the signature. He's also a Chicago native, so he's always at the Chicago comicons, except this years Chicago Comicon.

Comment

Sounds right. Think he was with Devil's Due back in the day.
                    - Scott
                    PH and Proud
                    Bulletmann - Hyatta

Comment

Yeah he was. Was working on the Joe comic when they had the it.

Comment

Superb artwork @ GI Defender,

That classic artwork style is not seen these days very much. I've only got one photo stuck on my wall at the moment of GI Joe, it's my fave pic of "Stonewall Joe" and a photo from 2010, the rest of my posters are a mixed grill of aircraft, scalextric club meets, astronomay charts and classic scalextric box top art in picture frames, when i get round to organizing my Joe/vam/MAM room i will add plenty more to the walls.

Thanks for showing us the artwork.

Comment

Working...
                        X