• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tonka Bronco Restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a Suzuki Samurai many years ago. It's a 1987. I'm still driving it. It's tiny. It's got "room for your @$$ and a gallon of gas" as my dad would say. When I take off the roof, remove the doors, and fold down the windshield, it's still a blast to drive on road or off. It's the only car I've ever owned that is actually a joy to drive!

The reason I think the Tonka Bronco looks more like a 1/6 scale Samurai than a 1/6 scale Bronco is because the Tonka is so much smaller than a 1/6 scale Bronco would actually be! Joes look huge in that little Tonka! They're pretty awesome, though. I didn't even know about them until this thread started. I wonder how these would look with a lift kit and oversized Tonka dump truck tires...
    Last edited by ATC; 10-12-2020, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Can't decide if I'd rather leave them OEM or if I should swap the roll cage and t-top...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201012_085936749~2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	4491 I can never seem to leave well enough alone...

Comment

Originally posted by ATC View Post
        Can't decide if I'd rather leave them OEM or if I should swap the roll cage and t-top...

ID:	4491 I can never seem to leave well enough alone...
        I like the look of the roll cage on the black one, but the black top on the tan Chevron looks a little "off" to me. Maybe if you painted it tan to match the body it might look better. But then there'd be no going back.

Steve

Comment

I'm a malcontent. I never seem to be able to "leave well enough alone."

Here's the t-top version of the Chevron bronco, and the roll bar version of the black Tonka.

ID:	4494
          Not sure if I like 'em better than the original configuration or not.
          - ATC

Comment

The black one does look good with the roll bar, and the Chevron looks pretty good with the t-top. All in all, I think I like the original configuration the best.

Looking at this photo I understand what you meant by being the size of a Suzuki Samurai.

Comment

I left it that way for a couple of days. I think I agree the original configuration looks best. The black Bronco with a t-top has a retro 80s look to it. Appropriate for the undercover Joes. Help with the roll bar back on the tan bronco. You can't tell from the pictures, but the tan Bronco paint is rough. It's not really bad, but it's not good, either. It might be a candidate for repainting.

Comment

I looked again at the original photos you posted. I don't see any problems with paint. I think, like mine, it might possibly need a little cleaning. If you look at my photos you will see some dirt on the passenger side decals. I haven't done anything
                to it since I got it. I bet yours, and mine, with a little polishing would look much better. Yours looks as good as mine, and I'm pretty happy with the way mine looks, although mine could use a little cleaning. My black Bronco would be a better
                candidate for a repaint, but I like the way it looks. Like an old work truck. Or a vehicle an adversary would use for nefarious activity.

Comment

Hey Shermanator,

How is your Bronco coming along? Have you had time to do some more work to it? I'm dying to see how it would look in AT yellow.

Daryl

Comment

Originally posted by TNshooter View Post
                    Hey Shermanator,

How is your Bronco coming along? Have you had time to do some more work to it? I'm dying to see how it would look in AT yellow.

Daryl

Haven't been able to do anything this week. My daughter has been working for a hospital in Connecticutt through a healthcare staffing agency. She has accepted a full time job there and has been back at home packing up all her belongings to move them there, so our house has been turned upside-down the past week. Things should calm down next week.

Comment

The project lives again! I was able to remove most of the paint using CitriStrip paint stripper. Here are the results:

Name:	fetch?photoid=4501.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	4504

Now I have the rust to contend with. Guess I'll try giving the parts a vinegar bath.

Name:	fetch?photoid=4502.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	4505

Comment

Working...
                      X