• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sears 1973 Abominable Snowman Variations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sears 1973 Abominable Snowman Variations?

I just acquired a partial lot of the Sears set "Search for the Abominable Snowman". I'd already purchased a complete version from a childhood friend so I had one to compare it too. The uniform and skis were identical but I noticed differences in the ski poles and snowman. The childhood set is referenced on the left and the newest purchase on the right. Here's what I observed:

1. Ski pole on left is cast in a semi-translucent plastic. The end of the pole is rounded (unique to the set). It's stamped "Hasbro(R)". The red strap is oval shaped and is of dark opaque red
    2. Ski pole on right is cast in a semi-translucent plastic. The end of the pole is pointed like Ski Patrol poles. It's stamped "Hasbro((R). The red strap is round, medium red in color, and semi-translucent

3. Snowman on the left is short with black eyes
    4. Snowman on the right is abut 15% taller with red eyes and black pupils

I suppose the shorter guys red eyes could have faded out.

Interestingly the secondary set also came with a white sled with a green top like the Deep Freeze set. The lot also included a near mint 73' era Land Adventurer with hard hands and no stress cracks, which would be correct to the era of the snowman set.

GIJOEMOA

Good eyes! I haven't seen the rounded snow poles before or the Yeti. I have had several variations of white jumpsuit but not sure if they are from this set or the single uniform box set. Some of the fur trim is extremely bushy.

Comment

The ski pole on the left looks like a later and upgraded one to me, it looks more strengthened and robust than the one on the right, which now doubt was prone to breaking easily. It's always interesting to see the subtle differences in Joe & Action Man items throughout the years, normally only the keen enthusiasts would spot these small things..

Thanks for showing.
      Fall in A, fall in B, fall in all the company!

Comment

Working...
      X