• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Astro Joe Rocketship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astro Joe Rocketship

Just thought I'd contribute something to the new site... my current project. I've had a plan for a Joe Rocketship bouncing around in my head for years. I thought it'd be cool to build a retro-rocket like the kind from the old 1950s-1960s sci-fi movies. The only thing stopping me was a hollow nosecone. It'd be too difficult for me to build (and believe me, I've spent some time pondering, researching, ruminating, and researching some more). For a few years, I was looking for giant lawn decoration Easter eggs; I figured I could use half of one for a nosecone. But none were big enough! I needed a minimum of 4 decks inside the body of the rocket, so the diameter would be pretty big. Especially if I planned on a minimum of 4 decks inside and a crew of 3-4 Joes. I wouldn't know what the diameter of the rocket body would be until I secured a nosecone, so I was at a standstill. As luck would have it, I was at a farm auction a couple of weeks ago, and spotted some HUGE barn lights. I noticed the reflectors were made of a hard plastic, transparent (with bezels, so you couldn't SEE through, but light shone through just fine, and they were a bit ogive in shape rather than spherical. PERFECT! The farmer next to me said those replacement barn light reflectors sold for $149 or so in farm supply catalogs, so he pretty much dashed my hopes of getting one. I still had my eye on it when the auctioneer picked one up to start the bidding. I knew this was going to sell for at least half of the market price, since it was brand spankin' new. Being anxious, I opened the bidding... at one dollar (there's a wise guy trying to be funny in every group, it seems) -- and nobody else bid against me! I got it for a buck! Woo-HOO! Now, at last, I can get serious about this project. Well... I'll get serious as soon as I've finished the R/C tank that's currently on my workbench, that is. Most likely this will be a "next Winter" project in the basement. Now that I have the diameter set by the nosecone, I can think-through the rest of the design and interior. Fun! Once I actually start building this beast, I'll post some pics. Building this rocketship might give me YEARS of Joe fun, as I work thorough the interior of each level, sound effects, lighting effects, crew uniforms, crew accessories, retro space suits, some sort of "Fireball XL-5" hoverbikes, and all that jazz. So long as I get it finished before my grandchild turns 4, I'll be happy... and there are no grandkids anywhere NEAR the horizon yet, so I've certainly got no pressure to work very fast. ;-)

Sounds like a interesting future project! Don;t forget to post pics!

Comment

ATC,
      I have some ideas on how to do a small shuttle craft using a pickle bucket and the cockpit for a Barbie jet (surprisingly cheap on the 'Bay when you can find them). I'd love to see what you produce when you can get it finished.

---Paul

Comment

This definitely sounds interesting!
        Join the adventure! http://www.adventureteamheadquarters.com

Comment

ATC,

A 1950s-1960s sci-fi style rocket ship sounds really good!
          Fall in A, fall in B, fall in all the company!

Comment

Working...
          X