• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Green Beret Uniform - which one do you prefer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Beret Uniform - which one do you prefer

A few years ago, the club offered a Green Beret set, on a card. There was no figure and the uniform was green. I just noticed that the Green Beret machine gun outpost that was offered at JC penny's has a camouflage uniform, and so will the upcoming convention set. Anyhow, I began wondering if there was a preference for the uniform. Which one do you like the best? the Green outfit or the camouflage one. Also if you have a preference.....what is your reason for it.

I got that Club card a few years back, they found some when clearing out the warehouse. I treated myself to the $90 set. I love it.

I've got the Timeless Collection Version too (the JC Penny one), a reproduction of the Sears Exclusive. While I don't like it as much, I think I'd like it better with pockets, as my Timeless Camo Uni that came with the set has no pockets.

Come to think of it, I've got multiple Camo uniforms, but none of them match even one of the other ones. Strange.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	1
Size:	933.4 KB
ID:	486 green
      Last edited by angelo7; 04-08-2018, 08:07 PM.

Comment

I like the green one the best too. I only got two of those from the Club, and ended up selling one. So I'd love to see it as an add-on for the machine gun nest set at the JoeCon. Keeping fingers crossed!

Comment

If we're looking at the Vietnam Uniforms from a historian standpoint, the four pocketed uniform included in the Green Beret figure set and the Special Forces Uniform Card (and the Action Man "American Green Beret" uniform set, Timeless Collection FAO Schwarz Green Beret set, and the GIJCC Green Beret Uniform Card), where was I?

Oh yea, that green four pocketed uniform is the 1st Pattern Tropical Jungle Jacket.

Photo Credit: http://david.brubakers.us/Vietnam/

When it comes to Camo Unis, the M1942 Frogspot Camo was used, however minimally and mostly by local individuals (ARVN, etc.).

From my meager research, Tiger stripes were never "Officially" issued to US Servicemen, but there was plenty of it around, and many went to local tailors and had Tiger Stripe versions of their Jungle Jackets made up.

As most of you are, I'm sure, aware, GI Joe never had the Tiger Stripe uni for the Green Beret set, but one of the Japanese Licenses did in the 70's, for their "Combat Joe" or "Action Man" line. I'm not as versed in that part of Joe history.

Comment

Also, if you haven't tried the Jungle Jacket Uniform on a fuzzhead, try it. I put mine on my Timeless MOA, and I love it on him.

Last edited by ActionYankee; 03-29-2018, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• amwic
              amwic commented
              Editing a comment
              Excellent photos!! It's hard to see Joe in the last photo because the uniform colour blends in so well with the surroundings.

The standard green without a doubt - I certainly like my Machinegun Outpost set, but the green Green Beret will always be my Green Beret

Comment

Has to be the Green jacket & trousers with cargo pockets. The camo is a lame copout. Easier and cheaper to produce. Far to common in vintage form.

My vintage guys

Comment

Green is my fav, very sharp looking set!

Comment

Green is my fave of the two uniforms.
                  Fall in A, fall in B, fall in all the company!

Comment

I have the club set and love the more detailed green uniform. I was a little disappointed with the club convention set this year.

Comment

I also have loads of fun kitbashing this uniform, including the pre-Jungle Jacket release that just used Regular Soldier Fatigues.

And adding different bits.

And perhaps all to the "standard" GB Uni.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180402_193132515.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	382 I never had a real GB uni. The closest I've ever come was a couple of unis that I bought at a kiosk at the PX on Okinawa around 1993 for $3.50. I went back to buy more of them but never saw the seller again. Waah!

Comment

How about a little of both? Here's my Joe Green Beret standing next to a Marx Buddy Charlie in the Captain Action SGT Fury camo uniform. Additionally, here are some images of Green Berets in Vietnam in the early 60s wearing the "duck hunter" camo.

-Nate
                          Last edited by Glidah Drivah; 04-03-2018, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Even one using the M20 Super Bazooka, good hunting Nate.

Comment

Working...
                            X