• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

70's Joes and AM as ARAH characters (customs)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70's Joes and AM as ARAH characters (customs)

Found this shared on Facebook, felt it was my duty to share here. If this is yours, I apologize, they're so good.

Excellent recreations of 80's characters in the vintage medium.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hAt-qlqXfKs&t=333s

Not my cup of tea. They are, if anything, less detailed than the figures they are based on, despite being 3 times larger.

I do like the idea of using flocked Joes for the original RAH characters - especially with the many bearded characters - but the execution just reminds me of the first generation 12" RAH Hall of Fame figures. They don't need to be Sideshow good, but a bit better than Hall of Fame.

Comment

While I agree, there's a couple of figures that leave a little to be desired (Chuckles, Snake Eyes, and Lt. Falcon), all the figures have all the requisite hallmarks of their 1980's counterparts, Flint being the standout, and Grunt being a close second (in terms of replicating the original look).

Now, were these your figures, what are a couple things you might do differently?

I might try and bash some 80's Joes like this, could be a fun group project.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionYankee View Post
        Now, were these your figures, what are a couple things you might do differently?
        I guess I see the use of parts taken from other GI Joe specific lines as "cheating" - like the Sideshow laser rifle and the Jumbo helmet. Of course they are going to look "just like the real thing" if they are scaled up versions of the real thing. You could just as easily lop off the head of one of those figures and stick a flocked head in its place.

I would either create a "real" version of the RAH soldiers using the realistic period military gear available for bashes, or I would create new stuff from scratch. The original RAH figures had all of these distinctive pouches on their clothes, distinct boots, helmets, etc. I wouldn't try to duplicate all of that stuff, but I would try to riff on it with equivalents.

Plain OD pants and '60s era brown boots is not RAH.

I have been squirreling away stuff for awhile to do my version of Snake Eyes. I'm planning on sculpting the visored head from scratch. It won't look just like any Version of the original, but it will have as many details to qualify as one of that character's incarnations.

I like toys that still have a toy-like nature, instead of being hyper realistic. But the Hall of Fame kind of look just says "we threw this together for minimal cost".

Comment

Yea, HOF usually doesn't do it for me. Sometimes the WWII Anniversary figures have cool box art, but that's about the extent.

I do see your point about the gear coming from a Sideshow figure, etc. It would be interesting to see a subtly different take on these characters, "realism" vs. "scaled up."

Comment

When I did mine I used current CC JOES
            some from RAH line some this which the part .
            Helmets and some Weapons were done from scratch .including some Belts pouches and Harness.
            l did my own Spin on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gforce121262@yahoo.com View Post
              When I did mine I used current CC JOES
              some from RAH line some this which the part .
              Helmets and some Weapons were done from scratch .including some Belts pouches and Harness.
              l did my own Spin on them.
              Someday maybe someone will lend you a camera.

Comment

Would not do any good .
                anyway there somewhere stored in containers
                I have a Digital Camera and camera on my
                Smart Phone .
                and never got the hang of posting Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Gforce121262@yahoo.com View Post
                  and never got the hang of posting Photos
                  The new forum allows you to do it directly without a hosting service:

Select the image icon, choose "upload", "choose file", "send it to server" and "Ok". Wallah:

Click image for larger version

Name:	0025.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1814

You can do it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice Figures re- production or restored?
                    funny thing I post on FB
                    all the time.
                    thanks for the how to

Comment

Certainly not "restored" - neither are vintage. The right is a 40th and the left is an altered Cots head on a modern aftermarket body. I changed the shape of the head and repainted the eyes.

Comment

Ah I thought the Cheeks look fuller than normal
                        .and the Eye Color was odd.
                        thought it might have have been a TC.
                        great Job on the Scar.
                        you mix came out dead On

Comment

Sorry about that the one in Green Jump Suit . has the Cos Head and the one in the Orange is the 40TH.
                          IT IS early and I was on theTOLIET

Comment

Hi fellas, just joined the forum, found out about this thread and I'm glad to see you guys liked the idea. It is basically the idea that if Hasbro relaunched the ARAH line back in the 82 with 12" Joes they might have looked something like these.

GI JOE YOUTUBE COVER by The Skull, on Flickr

Collection ARAH JOE'S by The Skull, on Flickr
                            Last edited by The Skull; 10-28-2018, 03:24 PM.
                            Visit my You Tube Channel to view my repair videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCutloOkBc0m6l_ePONmhYrw?view_as=subscriber

Comment

What might be a fun project is to do just the 1982 figures. Like the '70s figures, there were only a few caucasian male heads. Bearded Joe could be used for Breaker/Clutch/Rock&Roll, 1964 or Eagle Eye for Grunt/Grand Slam/Zap and the Soldier of the World head is actually a good match for Flash/Steeler/Short Fuse/Hawk. There were two AA heads to choose from for Stalker.

The '82 figures were very much like the originals in that different figures came down to clothes and hair color. That would be fun to riff on.

Then you need to create the same few number of uniform pieces but dyed/painted in the different versions of green/brown/black seen on the originals. But there were only two kinds of boots, two kind of pant thighs and three kinds of arms, which makes the project sane.

And:
                              Last edited by RX-79G; 10-28-2018, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X