• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Received my final newsletter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received my final newsletter

Reality has set in, the club is closing its doors soon. I received my final newsletter today. Makes me sad really, to see it end. Also sad to see the content of the newsletter for the final magazine be nothing more than photos of his boxed 3 3/4 sets (a checklist) and the last article about 12" Joe was the last of the Classic Collection run. But still a good read. I did like the final Regular Joes, a fitting end run for their run in the magazine. To many, the only reason we enjoyed the magazine was Regular Joes.

I would have liked to have seen a nice fat magazine with testimonials from folks who have made this gig so successful for Brian over the years. Kind of a nice way for folks who contributed to the newsletters over the years to pay final tribute to Brian and to the fans who have stepped up and commented both personally and privately about info they have shared in the newsletters.

I have truly enjoyed my experiences with the club and with Brian. I wrote countless articles and was fortunate enough to make a custom Medic Jeep for him to pay homage to his late father (Dr Savage) whom we all so dearly loved. Also made a Space O Matic and fully customized WWII half track for him. All featured in "how too" articles in the newsletters.

I wrote about Joe, reviewed vintage pieces like the sea sled and sea wolf. Also enjoyed a very successful run in his convention contests, taking home Best in Show three times and runner up twice.

We attended so many of his cons I have lost count. I want to say we only missed 5. (6 for me due to military obligations) Thru his conventions I have made some of the most amazing friends. Some have gone on from collecting and some have gone on over the horizon. But most we still stay in contact with. Dare I say, my friends in this hobby mean more to me than my friends I grew up with. We both played with GI Joe, it just seems some of us don't do so well on our hands and knees anymore.

In its absence Char and I will continue to run this little joint, also we will continue to support and attend Toy Lanta (Formerly Joe Lanta) and also continue to support and promote the Kentuckiana Toy Expo. Not to mention the CT show Kozin runs and Greg Brown's Texas show. You see, there is no void left behind by Brian closing shop, only the void of officially licenced Hasbro GI Joe products. Thanks to Cotswold, that won't be near as painful a withdrawal as we thought.

I wish Brian well in his retired life, I know he has a lot of pinball and planes in his future. Also thank you Brian/Fun Publications for giving me back my childhood, once thought lost, but now reborn.
    - Scott
    PH and Proud
    Bulletmann - Hyatta
    See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Well done Scott. I just read Jack D Hall post on Facebook Trenches. End of a Era of the GI JOE COLLECTOR CLUB by Brian Savage and family and friends. I will see at Toy Lanta (Formerly Joe Lanta) and Kentuckiana Toy Expo for 2019 I hope. Later

Comment

My wife, son Tommy and I will be attending Kentuckiana for the first time this year! We went to the last GI Joe con in June and really loved it. Hope to meet up with some Trenchers in July.

Comment

Did you catch the part on the inside cover that stated:
        Pre- orders have begun for the last two club exclusive sets and the "final 12" carded figure series

there is lots of information on the final 12 but what are the "last two club exclusives"?
        Thanks
        Brian

Comment

Brian. I think you misinterpreted the meaning of the last two being something outside of the final 12 FSS figures. The final two of the FSS are the Coils O'Doom and Black Spider Rendezvous figures. Neither paying homage to the 12 inch inspirations in any way shape or fashion. Coils O'Doom is some green villain dude and the BSR has a Cobra Logo on his chest. Sad, , ,
          - Scott
          PH and Proud
          Bulletmann - Hyatta
          See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

Thanks for clearing this up.
            The last time I saw this sentence being used was the news letter which had the adventure team version of the black spider figure on its cover.
            Sometimes wish full thinking can cloud ones interpretation,
            hahahahahah

Brian

Comment

I got my last issue today. It was nice to see "Regular Joes" once again. I'd love to see a volume 2 of their collection. It's hard to believe this is the last issue. I haven't been there from the start, but I did join the club in 2000 - after I found the Land Adventurer was being reproduced. I bought one immediately and had to join the Club when I did. But I stuck with the club for most years after that. Funny, today was my last issue of the modern club. I opened a box of Joe stuff I recently won on Ebay, and inside was a collection of papers - including a large manila envelope from Hasbro and the original GI Joe club, containing a catalog of the 1964 product line. The original owner of this lot had written a note to the club - on the front of the envelope! He didn't leave enough room for his name. But it was a nice coincidence.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X