• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts of the Joe Future

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts of the Joe Future

As you may have been following, Hasbro has been hit with a toy slump. Their cash cow known as "Star Wars" isn't selling due to the newer movies lacking popularity (being polite), so there is little interest in buying the toys. Star Wars was chosen over Joe, as Hasbro wanted to focus on that toy line as it had a strong media presence and popularity that Hasbro didn't have to work at. So they are releasing retro Star Wars figures at Target to keep the rights and to make some money. The SW community has mixed feelings about the subject. Any how, while Disney tries to fix the SW issue, a new Joe movie "Snake Eyes" is being produced. This will lead to movie related figures, but possible to retro RAH Joes and even trickle some 12" love. I can't wait to see what happens. I know the character is going to be hard to capture in the movie as he had over 35 years of development.

PS.. I have seen any of the newer Star Wars movies..but I read all the gripes. LOL. Poor Hans Solo.

I have enjoyed all the new Star Wars films, TFA and Rogue One being stand out among them. I liked TLJ and Solo immensely as well.

But that's neither here nor there, Joe has a dim, dim future ahead of him if Hasbro continues this trend.

Our best hope for Joe lies with the foreign licences that are doing infinitely more for him than Hasbro is. (Falcon Estrela, Geyperman, Action Man)

Comment

I see this being like the 90's all over again. We have to rely on places like Cotswold for our Joe fix, which is not a problem at all. With the new Snake eyes movie coming, yes there will be figures. Exactly what kind, I don't know. Hopefully, the new movie and if Hasbro does the new toys right, we could see a rebirth of the Joe line, which would be awesome.
      The Joe Collecting "Geek".
      Visit my online art store for some cool art prints:
      www.etsy.com/shop/geekdragonart
      Also follow me on Twitch for some video game goodness at:
      www.twitch.tv/miketheretrogamer
      Want to see my collection? Check out my Instagram:
      www.instagram.com/miketheretrogamer
      Want to see my new art? Check out:
      www.instagram.com/geekdragonart

Comment

Cotswold is the hero of our hobby. Again! I remember the days when they had a bazillion different head sculpts to choose from. Maybe the slump elsewhere in the 12 in Joe line will make it profitable for Cotswold to bring back some of that old mojo, too! I'm not crazy about their incredibly detailed Japanese phenomenally expensive 12 inch figures. I can't imagine they're selling well, but they must be - or Cotswold wouldn't be carrying such an extensive line of them!

Comment

Honestly, from this point on, nothing Hasbro releases will be close to GI Joe. At least as we know and love it.

The line is long dead, now that the club is gone, the only GI Joe licenced product are also dead.

IF Hasbro releases anything tied into the movie I would suspect it will be 3 3/4 and 6 inch Black Series type collectible figures. Success of the movie is a key here, but remember Snake Eyes sells. But if the movie is weak, (like the two predecessors) then the line will probably be short and fade out without fan fare.

We still have Cotswold and we still have collectors and shows so the hobby is far from dead. GI Joe at retail however, well, it was a fun ride.

Addressing Star Wars films, the newer movies are okay but Solo was an insult to the fan base. Glover's portrayal of Lando was the only thing worthwhile in that film. It was bad in acting, casting, special effects, story, heck they even made the Falcon hideous. I could go on but will spare you all me picking that waste of film to pieces.
          - Scott
          PH and Proud
          Bulletmann - Hyatta
          See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

Comment

For me the hobby has come full circle.

I recovered my childhood collection in 1988 when the only G.I. Joe available was what could be picked up at flea markets or garage sales. Then I discovered Cotswold Collectibles and they had a cache of NOS Action Man sets, and later a line of custom pieces. There was no new product for G.I. Joe, and it looked as though it would never happen.

So, here we are again: vintage still shows up in the wild, but it's few and far between; Cotswold sells new Geyperman made from the original molds, as well as a line of custom pieces; and it's unlikely that Hasbro will produce any more G.I. Joe.

It's a safe bet that the licensed reproduction side of the G.I. Joe hobby is dead. Back to collecting vintage full time, folks!

Comment

And sometime in the not-too-distant future we'll be saying things like "vintage timeless collection."

Comment

People on eBay say that now.

Comment

Originally posted by ATC View Post
                    And sometime in the not-too-distant future we'll be saying things like "vintage timeless collection."
                    The first Timeless set came out in 1998, 21 years ago.

To put it in perspective, the Masterpiece Edition came out in 1996, 20 years after the demise of the vintage G.I. Joe.

Comment

That's an interesting perspective. I was thinking the other day that the run of the modern Joes was from 1991 until 2019 : 28 years. The entire original Joe line was from 1964 to 1976: 12 years. And I remember Brian pointing out that the Club made more new figures and sets for the Adventure Team than Hasbro did in the original run. It has been quite a run.

My own thoughts on Joe's future are that with the unoriginality of Hollywood and television these days (except for cable TV), we're bound to eventually see a repeat or reimagining of the 1980's Gi Joe stories. And you know what happened last time.....
                      Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 10-18-2019, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Comment

I am not saying you are wrong, but someone is buying the 12" super hero figures because they keep making them. I think Joe got hurt because of the movie delay. Toys were in the store about a year before the movie hit, hurting orders of future waves and the fact that Disney got the Star Wars rights made Hasbro focus on that franchise.

Comment

Comment

I was at Joelanta or Toylanta this past month. I had a lot fun there. Before me and my buddy left the show we said our good bye to friends which many are dealer at the show. One is name Jacob Van Voohis who by the way make great boxes for Joes. I said I hope you not getting any flak from Hasbro on your products you are making. He look at me and got close in a soft voice "they don't care ". Hasbro don't care about GI JOE brand. Another bit of information Derryl DePriest was at the show as well. I was told by some of the dealer there that Derryl DePriest no longer works for Hasbro , when this happen I don't know again it looks like Hasbro is washing their hand on the Joe Brand. I hate to say this but there no future of GI JOE by Hasbro.

Comment

Working...
                              X