• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original Joe 50 cal.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Joe 50 cal.

Cleaning out an old junk box today I ran across my old 50 caliber machine gun that I built for Joe when I was in 4th or 5th grade. The body is made of wood. The barrel is a piece of broken fiberglass Arrow. The hand grips are number 12 house wire bent into a u shape. The mount is made of two nails pounded into the wood with a heads cut off and then a flat piece of brass bent into a C shape, soldered to a piece of brass tubing. Around the brass tubing I added some blobs of solder to keep it from sliding too far down in the mount. in the Jeep I cut a little piece of wood and screwed it in between the two front seats, and drilled a hole in it to mount the pedestal. I used more of the brass tube for the pedestal mount. Over the brass tube I slid the body of a plastic ballpoint pen. that's what this machine gun mount slid into... the body of the pen. As an adult it looks pretty primitive, but when I was a kid I was pretty proud of this little invention.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190309_133726618~2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	116.3 KB ID:	2965

Although although the 50 caliber has been upgraded over time, the original pedestal mount (brass tubing covered with a ballpoint pen body) is still in the Jeep.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190309_140808554~2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	103.0 KB ID:	2966
    Last edited by ATC; 03-09-2019, 11:05 PM.

That is pretty cool! Best part you saved it all these years.
    - Scott
    PH and Proud
    Bulletmann - Hyatta
    See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

When I went off to college, the Jeep went back in its original box along with the searchlight and trailer and all that stuff. And that's where it stayed until I rediscovered Joe many years later. I think the Jeep cost $11 new at K-Mart. I'll have to look... the sticker is still on the box...

Comment

Originally posted by GI Defender View Post
        That is pretty cool! Best part you saved it all these years.
        Yeah, same what Scott says!

Comment

That is still impressive by today's standards.

Comment

Working...
          X