• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Body Transplant for Timeless Astronaut

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Transplant for Timeless Astronaut

OK. I thought I'd finally post something with a photo. This guy started as a Masterpiece Edition Astronaut that came with the hardcover book. I'd read from several sources that the original run of the Masterpiece figures were prone to stress cracks due to an issue with the plastic formula. So I finally decided to free him from the packaging and sure enough, even though the internal coffin box seals were all in place, the figure underneath the space suit was severely cracked in several places. In fact, one of its arms had broken off near the shoulder. I wasn't fussed as I had many of the later issue 40th Anniversary figures whose bodies were good as new and showed no such issues. A short body swap later and I FINALLY have one of my grail figures, a retro astronaut. Meet Major Scott Walker.
    Last edited by oliver; 03-17-2019, 05:17 PM.

Be careful with the 40th figures. I've had a few of them break their clear connector pins.

My figure of choice for head swaps on the vintage style reproductions are the Elite Brigade. They are the best vintage style bodies on the market.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe90 View Post
      Be careful with the 40th figures. I've had a few of them break their clear connector pins.

My figure of choice for head swaps on the vintage style reproductions are the Elite Brigade. They are the best vintage style bodies on the market.
      Thanks for the heads up! I've had good success with mine so far. I'm kind of paranoid and have stripped every figure I've gotten and "broken them in" to make sure they were assembled OK and to properly align all the joints. I even gave one to my (then 8-year old) son to play with and it held up fine. That said, I did unbox one of my 40th Action Man figures who had a broken wrist straight out of the box. That one was obviously due to the factory assembly; there was a tool mark in the plastic where the rivet had been cranked down too hard and the plastic split open around the rivet. Thankfully, that one was an easy fix. And yes, the Cotswold vintage style bodies are amazing. I need to get more of them.

Comment

oliver,

Nice work there,

I like the 40th Joes, they are now part of G.I. Joe history. The astronaut outfit is often overlooked in favour of military outfits: you can't beat a Joe or AM/MAM astronaut suspended from the ceiling and keeping guard over your bed or work office.. I've had a 40th AM astronaut hanging above my bed since 2009, once a year i take it down for a dusting/clean. You should check out the astronaut outfits and equipment in the Modern Action Man range 1993 - 2006 (MAM), because there's some very robust and nice offerings that are very useful in kitmixing, you can mix and match items with the vintage Joe range to make a unique custom astronaut. I've not had any problems with my 40th Joes so far, but i did have a few cracked limbs with the 40th Action Man range, all parts were hastily replaced by the shop seller. Check out this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action...932006_toyline)

amwic/clivvers.
        Last edited by amwic; 04-10-2019, 08:13 PM.
        Fall in A, fall in B, fall in all the company!

Comment

I like the Cotswold figures too, except for the chest. when I redo a figure with Cotswold parts, I always swap over Joe's chest along with the head. A lot of people don't like the Cotswold action hands, but I think they're great! I think they are more useful than the Kung Fu grip ever was... OR the nose picker hands. The timeless collection are my favorites, followed by the masterpiece edition figures. I didn't care much for the 40th figures because of their teeny tiny little preshrunk heads and dead-looking skin tone.

Comment

Working...
          X