• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GI Joe Prototype

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GI Joe Prototype

For those who don't have Facebook, I posted this today:

After waiting close to 4 years I finally received a Joe I have wanted in my collection the moment I laid eyes on it. I saw the original figure that Bill Lawrence entered in the custom contest and it was hands down the winner. When I found out he was making 10 I jumped on the mailing list. I even sent the vintage uniforms and first aid kits to help him in his cause. I was so excited to see the box on my doorstep today I couldn't contain myself. I can now proudly say I have a copy of the original prototype. Right down to the box! Man this is sweet! I have to admit, I will be swapping out the Cotswold body and boots for a vintage Hasbro body, I think I have enough slotted shoulders in my spares to make a sweet old prototye even sweeter and older!

Thanks to Greg Brown for mailing this to me. It will have a place of honor. David Howard's paint job is flawless, the box that Jay Cosenza made is also top notch! All around home run folks!

- Scott
    PH and Proud
    Bulletmann - Hyatta
    See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Wow... that was so long ago. I was just thinking what become of that project. The figure turned out awesome..

Comment

That is one awesome piece.
      The Joe Collecting "Geek".
      Visit my online art store for some cool art prints:
      www.etsy.com/shop/geekdragonart
      Also follow me on Twitch for some video game goodness at:
      www.twitch.tv/miketheretrogamer
      Want to see my collection? Check out my Instagram:
      www.instagram.com/miketheretrogamer
      Want to see my new art? Check out:
      www.instagram.com/geekdragonart

Comment

Wow! That's awesome!

Comment

Looks great!
          Does anyone make an affordable head? One guy on Facebook is making a few but they are near $200 for just the head. Beyond what I'd be willing to spend.

Sean

Comment

I will keep an eye out Sean, I know a few folks taking about it. Sadly, I think they are cast in unicorn horns judging from what they are trying to sell them for.
            - Scott
            PH and Proud
            Bulletmann - Hyatta
            See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

I wouldn't mind paying 30 to 40 for one. With a Cots body. But 200 is crazy.

I wonder if anyone would cast theirs to make replicas for cheap?

Comment

Originally posted by ActionYankee View Post
                I wouldn't mind paying 30 to 40 for one. With a Cots body. But 200 is crazy.

I wonder if anyone would cast theirs to make replicas for cheap?
                Yeah, TOTALLY crazy. Not sure who they think is buying this stuff. But it ain't millionaires.

Sean

Comment

Awesome you were able to get one!

So he has been making them over the past 4 years? I remember really wanting one myself, and never heard when the 10 figures were going to be ready.
                  Danny(Drquest)
                  Captain Action HQ
                  Custom Shirts

Comment

Originally posted by GI Defender View Post
                    I will keep an eye out Sean, I know a few folks taking about it. Sadly, I think they are cast in unicorn horns judging from what they are trying to sell them for.
                    Ha! Yeah. Perhaps gold. Well if you hear anything let me know.

Thanks.

Sean

Comment

Here is the figure after I tweaked it a bit. Added a vintage shirt, canteen, and Dreams and Visions boots. (Closest I could ger to the original look from what I had on hand.) I also traded the Cotswold body out for a vintage Hasbro TM Joe body with slotted shoulders and first issue hands. Had a badly deformed pin head and this seemed to be an acceptable head swap. I also took a spare vintage helmet I had and hand painted the camo pattern like the prototype. I like it a lot better.

Danny, he has not been making them for 4 years, it took him 4 years to make them. I was lucky to be at the Texas Show when he had his original entered in the custom fig contest. I was a judge and it won hands down. When he and I talked, he said he was making a list for the 10 he was making. Me, Steve Charlton, Buddy Finethy, David Lane and Brian Becker all got on the list. So I know 5 Trenches members got one. I have seen posts on facebook where someone is doing the heads but I am not familiar with the individual. I have also been approached asking what I paid. I won't divulge that either. If I see a reputable person making the head I will pass it on.
                      - Scott
                      PH and Proud
                      Bulletmann - Hyatta

Comment

Sweeeet!

Comment

The head came out strikingly awesome. To think about having to sculpt it using only pictures, to cast it and then paint it to get that result by hand...Defiantly a labor of love.

Comment

David Howard painted them by hand and it is stunning in hand. Really pleased with it overall one of the coolest Joes I have on the shelf.
                            - Scott
                            PH and Proud
                            Bulletmann - Hyatta

Comment

He looks great. Your tweaks really make Joe look like the prototype.

Comment

Working...
                              X