• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did scuba suits hold up for you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did scuba suits hold up for you?

About 6-7 years ago a bunch of us ordered scuba suits..They came from Brazile I think...Just wondering how those scuba suits held up for you guys??? Mines been falling apart the past 2 years....I displayed mine on a shelf with no protection of any kind ...I ordered a vintage orange scuba suit and plan to put it on my seas adventurer...I plan to talc powder the suit inside and out.. And repowder every so often.. Will not touch with my oily fingers...Putting sea adventurer in a acrylic 5.5"X 5"X 13" display case...No direct sunlight nor any other artificial light source close to it...Of course the room will have semi light enough I can see during daylight hours...Hopefully I can slow the process down a bit this time around...lol Any thoughts?

Anytbody still applying talc/baby powder to the scuba suits on the inside and outside? Or has that advice changed?

Comment

I picked one up at a small toy show years ago. It was close to being toast back then. Never tried it on a figure. Other then that, I have never had a vintage wet suit. I do have the 40th set with the wet suit. Never opened it though.
      The Joe Collecting "Geek".
      Visit my online art store for some cool art prints:
      www.etsy.com/shop/geekdragonart
      Also follow me on Twitch for some video game goodness at:
      www.twitch.tv/miketheretrogamer
      Want to see my collection? Check out my Instagram:
      www.instagram.com/miketheretrogamer
      Want to see my new art? Check out:
      www.instagram.com/geekdragonart

Comment

Originally posted by GeekDragon View Post
        I picked one up at a small toy show years ago. It was close to being toast back then. Never tried it on a figure. Other then that, I have never had a vintage wet suit. I do have the 40th set with the wet suit. Never opened it though.
        Geek Dragon, I have a vintage orange wetsuit coming tomorrow...Actually this wiil be my first vintage wetsuit as a adult...
        Figured I better take the plunge now because the years are ticking by and soon there will be no vintage wetsuits to be had...lol
        Last edited by inntruderr61; 10-03-2019, 04:17 PM.

Comment

The one I got has become worse as the years went on. I haven't checked my 40th set in awhile though. Not sure how that one s holding up.

Comment

I received two vintage wetsuits today Gerekdragon! My first vintage wetsuits as a adult collector!

Comment

Hey! I had that laughing robot when I was a kid! It was one of my favorite toys! Also, NICE wetsuits. I have a 40th black one, but don't want to mess with the vintage ones due to difficulty in preserving them. I got three of the neoprene-like wetsuits from Cotswold's instead. Soon I'll display them all with matching flippers.

Comment

Originally posted by Myles_Falworth View Post
                Hey! I had that laughing robot when I was a kid! It was one of my favorite toys! Also, NICE wetsuits. I have a 40th black one, but don't want to mess with the vintage ones due to difficulty in preserving them. I got three of the neoprene-like wetsuits from Cotswold's instead. Soon I'll display them all with matching flippers.
                Cool !Yes the Laughing Robot was also one of my favorite childhood toys...The robot I have was made in 1969 and takes 3 batteries (2 battery compartments).....One of the first ones made...
                Does Cotswold have a orange neoprene wetsuit?

Comment

The suits I bought from Brazil are holding up well. Tons better than the garbage 40th AM ones, they melted in a matter of weeks after putting them on a figure. Dunno if I did anything different, but just powdered and placed on the shelf out of direct sunlight. My cammo one is still like new. THAT one I hate to lose, It is one of a kind.
                  - Scott
                  PH and Proud
                  Bulletmann - Hyatta
                  See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

Originally posted by GI Defender View Post
                    The suits I bought from Brazil are holding up well. Tons better than the garbage 40th AM ones, they melted in a matter of weeks after putting them on a figure. Dunno if I did anything different, but just powdered and placed on the shelf out of direct sunlight. My cammo one is still like new. THAT one I hate to lose, It is one of a kind.
                    Thanks for your input Scott!

Comment

Originally posted by inntruderr61 View Post

Cool !Yes the Laughing Robot was also one of my favorite childhood toys...The robot I have was made in 1969 and takes 3 batteries (2 battery compartments).....One of the first ones made...
                      Does Cotswold have a orange neoprene wetsuit?
                      They did. Now the only ones left are the blue top, a purple top (different material) and a black complete suit with yellow stripe. The suits were made in Venezuela, and they have had great difficulty getting stock from there.

https://www.gijoeelite.com/search.as...=scuba&search=

Comment

inntruderr61, nice looking suits. I would love to have some really nice vintage wet suits, but, the will probably never happen. I do need to start going through my vintage Joes and start outfitting them in vintage outfits.

Comment

Originally posted by Myles_Falworth View Post

They did. Now the only ones left are the blue top, a purple top (different material) and a black complete suit with yellow stripe. The suits were made in Venezuela, and they have had great difficulty getting stock from there.

https://www.gijoeelite.com/search.as...=scuba&search=
                          ok thanks! Guess I missed the boat on the orange ones then... :-(
                          Last edited by inntruderr61; 10-05-2019, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GeekDragon View Post
                            inntruderr61, nice looking suits. I would love to have some really nice vintage wet suits, but, the will probably never happen. I do need to start going through my vintage Joes and start outfitting them in vintage outfits.
                            Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X