• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Classic Collection old enough to be vintage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Classic Collection old enough to be vintage?

I got to thinking about something. If I am not mistaken, the Classic Collection is 20 years old. Would that line now be considered vintage? Or would it be considered vintage modern? Or is it even old enough to put the vintage tag on this line?
    The Joe Collecting "Geek".
    Visit my online art store for some cool art prints:
    www.etsy.com/shop/geekdragonart
    Also follow me on Twitch for some video game goodness at:
    www.twitch.tv/miketheretrogamer
    Want to see my collection? Check out my Instagram:
    www.instagram.com/miketheretrogamer
    Want to see my new art? Check out:
    www.instagram.com/geekdragonart

Good question! I'd like to know myself...

Comment

Originally posted by GeekDragon View Post
      I got to thinking about something. If I am not mistaken, the Classic Collection is 20 years old. Would that line now be considered vintage? Or would it be considered vintage modern? Or is it even old enough to put the vintage tag on this line?

Anything that is over 20 years old is classed as vintage, I would say it's definitely vintage. If selling a vintage item then it's a good idea to add a date of manufacture to the item, this is to distinguish between anything in the same type of catogory that was made years before it, then buyers will know exactly what they are getting. Vintage is all the rage at the moment with the over 40's, it's that lovely feeling called nostalgia

amwic/clivvers.
      Last edited by amwic; 10-26-2019, 01:13 PM.
      Fall in A, fall in B, fall in all the company!

Comment

I still can't believe the Classic Collection is that old. Also, 21st Century could also be considered vintage.

Comment

Comment

I didn't think of the HOF guys. Wow. I guess they would be vintage also.

Comment

At 30 I would say so. I am thinking it was around 1994 when I dove head first into the hobby, which would be when Joe originally hit 30.

I don't think I would call them vintage though. To me, there is only one vintage. I think that there are those in the hobby that would never agree to terms that the HOF or CC should ever be called vintage. But honestly, I told my son that I did not like "Solo" and it was an insult to Star Wars. He said, "but this is my star wars". Hard to argue, he also had HOF and CC. So I can see where others could have a different perspective based on their age.

It will be hard to distinguish vintage Joes if we lump them all in one category.
              - Scott
              PH and Proud
              Bulletmann - Hyatta
              See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

Originally posted by GI Defender View Post
                It will be hard to distinguish vintage Joes if we lump them all in one category.
                Yes that is true. So, like I mentioned, would this be considered vintage modern? Or, Vintage CC? Or, would this be like 3 3/4" Joe were the RAH from the 80's is considered vintage, but different from vintage 60's Joe? Or am I just thinking too much about this?

Comment

Originally posted by GI Defender View Post
                  At 30 I would say so. I am thinking it was around 1994 when I dove head first into the hobby, which would be when Joe originally hit 30.
                  I remember those days when the debate was whether or not Adventure Team 'Joes were vintage. In 1994 the vintage Muscle Bodied 'Joes were less than 20 years old. To put it into perspective, the Timeless Collection began its run 21 years ago.

There is only one "Captial V" vintage that deserves that description and it is the 1964 to 1976 run. The others may some day technically become vintage but I think they will always be identified by their line's name: HOF, CC, ME, TC, and 40th.

Comment

I agree with GI defender. If everything is called vintage, then it distinguishes nothing. Right now the original painted head Joes are vintage. If somebody wants to say they have vintage adventure team, then we know they're talking about original fuzz heads. If somebody wants to talk about HOF or CC, we know what they're talking about. But if you call them ALL vintage (like a bonehead ebayer who doesn't know any better) just because they all have passed some arbitrary age criteria, then we're just going to be confused. (Unless we all universally agree to call PH Joes - my era - the REAL ones, that is...). ?

Comment

Working...
                    X