• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where have all the Joe heads gone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where have all the Joe heads gone?

It sounds like a song:. "Where have all the Joe heads gone? long time passing..."

It's too quiet in the Trenches. Has Facebook and other social media killed our beloved forum? Or are we Joeheads all just dying of old age now? ?

I have to say that I think Facebook has driven everyone away from the message boards.

Comment

Facebook is a tool of the devil.
      (Insert grandpa Simpson's grumpy face here.) I hate to miss out on the latest evolution, but I refuse to use SpaceBook, MyFace, TwitterGram things.

It's almost like the 1980s again, when being a joehead was a relatively solitary hobby.

That's ok -- someday I'll have grandkids, and they'll play GI Joe with me! ?

Comment

Dave most discussions are now on Facebook. We have an active site there, not a lot of activity here anymore most likely because of it.

The format on Facebook is easy and posting pics is equally as easy. But the main problem with Facebook quite frankly, it is Facebook. The Joe sites are nice, but the rampant political gibberish makes it a place I would just as well stay away from.

As for the hobby, a couple of shows have popped up here and there, but like you I couldn't go. I was set to go to Kentucky but we had a guy in our office get Covid and we got put on a travel restriction. Knock on wood, we have dodged that bullet several times.

Havent done a lot of Joe stuff lately, but have gotten back into Major Matt Mason and been restoring them. Even flocked one. It is a great stress relief.
        - Scott
        PH and Proud
        Bulletmann - Hyatta
        See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

I am kinda surprised it is so quiet here. I go to 2 other boards, Universal Monster Army and Atari Age, and they are extremely active. Atari Age also has a Facebook group and the board is still rocking. Go figure.
          The Joe Collecting "Geek".
          Visit my online art store for some cool art prints:
          www.etsy.com/shop/geekdragonart
          Also follow me on Twitch for some video game goodness at:
          www.twitch.tv/miketheretrogamer
          Want to see my collection? Check out my Instagram:
          www.instagram.com/miketheretrogamer
          Want to see my new art? Check out:
          www.instagram.com/geekdragonart

Comment

Joe is way down on my priority list for now. Other real world concerns are pressing. Hope to get back to the hobby after the first of the year. Cheers!

Comment

Scott, you flocked a major Matt mason? That sounds cool! Let's see the pics!

I realize I'm probably missing out on a lot by not doing Facebook, but I just can't bring myself to become immersed in that insane Facebook world. I tried it, but Facebook just seems confusing, disorganized, and flooded with off topic garbage that usually ends up just making me mad. When pursuing my hobbies, I don't want to be mad. That's why I like the trenches forum. It's my happy place. ?

Comment

I prefer this online forum format to Facebook. It is much easier to create a thread, add to it over time and revisit it months later. I'd love to figure out a way to get others who are on Facebook to come over here and give it a try if they've never been here, or to get "old timers" to return.

Scott, perhaps you and Charlotte should advertise this site more on the Facebook Trenches? One thing I miss about the "old" Trenches was all the different sub-forums dedicated to specific lines, like the PH era, the AT era, the HOF era and the Classic Collection era. I will try to contribute more in the future.

Comment

Dave, here ya go. He is actually a lot cooler than I would have imagined. I used that flocking velvet powder that was sent to me by mistake by Flock It, Sucked on a Joe but looks good on Matt.

- Scott
                  PH and Proud
                  Bulletmann - Hyatta
                  See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

Originally posted by ATC View Post
                    I realize I'm probably missing out on a lot by not doing Facebook, but I just can't bring myself to become immersed in that insane Facebook world. I tried it, but Facebook just seems confusing, disorganized, and flooded with off topic garbage that usually ends up just making me mad. When pursuing my hobbies, I don't want to be mad. That's why I like the trenches forum. It's my happy place. ?

I hear you ATC. For years people were asking me "Why are you not on FB?" Others practically dismissed me, for not being there. People I knew that were there, said they saw problems with political debates and trolling.

But alas, I joined this year for the one purpose of to see what was going on in The Trenches world. Scott told me that everyone was there instead of here. I hate that, I would rather be here than on the book.

I recently had a member attack me there without provocation. That would have never happened here.

But, like Scott says, most of the activity is there. I"m not a member of a lot of boards, but the ones I am I've noticed a lot of drop-off of member activity. FHQ has had a "changing of hands" on the ownership of the site it uses, and each time the site goes to a different
                    company, more members drop away. It used to be a happening place, but it's now a ghost town like here I'm afraid.

If it hadn't been for The Trenches, I would have never gone to FB.

Daryl

Comment

Major Matt Mason came out great! Super work, Scott! I don't think I ever would have thought of putting a beard on Major Matt Mason. I suspect razor blades are hard to come by in space, so it certainly makes sense! ?

Comment

Well, he had a chunk of head missing so I had to get creative. He came from the KY show. I had eyes on the sales floor and scooped up a Sea Devil and three Mat Masons plus a Callisto for $50. I have since restored them all. This guy was a total repaint. As you can tell, I was waiting on the flag decal for his chest.
                        - Scott
                        PH and Proud
                        Bulletmann - Hyatta

Comment

I"m not on social media. I know I'm missing out on some useful/fun aspects of my hobbies, but I also truly believe I'm missing out on more bad than good. I've always enjoyed it here. I'm mostly a Mego collector--if it's any consolation, the Mego Museum forum, which I enjoy greatly and have been a member of for twelve years, has also been impacted by FB.

Comment

I have FB for professional purposes only. I am not fan of it, probably for the same reasons mentioned and not mentioned. My Joe collecting is mostly completed. I still need some of the harder to find late 70's stuff. Besides that, I still need to summon the will power to part with some of my extra joe gear and soldiers that need a new home.

Comment

Another non FB user here as well.

I'm in the technology field and even work with Facebook for connectivity projects, but it's not on my list of things I need to deal with.

I still run an email group for Captain Action(quiet as well) and frequent discussion boards, but if I'm missing out on stuff because of not having FB, so be it.
                              Danny(Drquest)
                              Captain Action HQ
                              Custom Shirts

Comment

Working...
                              X