• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY Static Flocker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Static Flocker

I finally decided to take the plunge and delve into the world of DIY GI Joe head flocking. I watched several YouTube videos on building electrostatic grass applicators for model railroad scenery, then went out and rounded up the parts. I bought an electronic fly swatter from Harbor Freight for $4, a kitchen strainer from Walmart for $2.50, a couple "D" cell batteries for $5 and some electric leads with alligator clips on them (also from Harbor Freight; forgot the cost of them). I bought some clear Gorilla Glue to apply to the Joe head and ordered the "GI Joe hair color" flock from flockit.com.

I disassembled the fly swatter and removed the "racket" part, chopped off the handle of the strainer, epoxied the basket part into the swatter handle, attached one wire to the basket and the other one to the alligator clip test lead and in a couple hours I completed the applicator. My first flocking attempt was on a a 30th Anniversary Joe head. I was a bit impatient, as I was eager to see results,so I didn't get good coverage with the glue. He ended up having several bald spots. Also, too much flocking was falling through the strainer. I bought a set of plastic kitchen funnels, took the one that best fit in the basket, cut the end off it and inserted it into the basket to make a smaller opening for the flock to fall through. My second attempt was on a CC "recruit" head. I was more patient while applying the glue, making sure I got good coverage. This one turned out pretty well. Now I just have to figure out how to reattach it to a body without damaging the hair.

Steve
    Flocked CC Head Inside configuration of the flocker Completed Flocker

Here is a web page describing my flocker. Check it out!
    http://italspat.iwarp.com/Flockmaster.htm
    It works great!

Comment

Originally posted by ATC View Post
      Here is a web page describing my flocker. Check it out!
      http://italspat.iwarp.com/Flockmaster.htm
      It works great!
      Very nice! I may build one with the negative ion generator once I've reached the limits with the flyswatter version.

Steve

Comment

Working...
      X