• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your biggest Joe mistake?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your biggest Joe mistake?

Here's mine. In the dark days before the internet, and before Cotswold, when there was nothing to be had for Joe heads except for yard sales which had dried up, I decided to make an explorer Joe. I used two backyard patrol mint in bag Japanese uniforms that I bought at a junk shop for $1 each, to make a single explorer Joe outfit.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200927_142218853~2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	51.5 KB ID:	4396

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200927_142104063_BURST000_COVER_TOP~2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	72.1 KB ID:	4397

http://www.gijoe.50megs.com/coastpg.html

I had no idea what those Japanese uniforms were worth when I took scissors to them. What's your big mistake?
    -ATC
    Last edited by ATC; 09-28-2020, 11:04 PM.

I bought a foreign head solider talker and put a MOA head on it. Also paid too much for a loose Spy Island set w/ a Sea Adventurer back in the early days of Ebay (late 90's), that restarted me into collecting Joes. I was just going to buy one for display for old time sake.

Comment

Taking my muscle body AT Joe in the tub with me when I was a kid. Most of his fuzz came off and for years his hair was cotton and was beardless. He has since been reflocked.
      The Joe Collecting "Geek".
      Visit my online art store for some cool art prints:
      www.etsy.com/shop/geekdragonart
      Also follow me on Twitch for some video game goodness at:
      www.twitch.tv/miketheretrogamer
      Want to see my collection? Check out my Instagram:
      www.instagram.com/miketheretrogamer
      Want to see my new art? Check out:
      www.instagram.com/geekdragonart

Comment

Too bad you didn't get a photo of Cotton-Head Joe! He could have been the inspiration for a country song!

Comment

• GeekDragon
          GeekDragon commented
          Editing a comment
          At the time, I never thought of a photo. Now, I would have taken a pic.

#1 probably was trading off my Troubleshooter vehicle I had as a kid.

2nd runner up is trading the vintage State Police Motorcyle I had. It wasn't in great shape, most just fall apart if you look at them funny, but uber rare and I'd still have it on my shelf.
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Custom Shirts

Comment

In the early days of rediscovering retro figures thanks to the Collectors Club, I wanted to have a non-talker body with the bearded flocked African-American head. I didn't know at the time how to properly remove the head and tried ... wait for it ... heating and then separating the bearded flocked head from the neck post on the Club talker figure. I ended up completely destroying the flocking on it. Felt like a complete idiot when I learned how to do it correctly. Won't make that mistake again.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
            I wanted to have a non-talker body with the bearded flocked African-American head.
            That's what I have. My younger brother had AT figures where I had PH figures. A few years back he gave me all of the toys he had left over from childhood, which included his AA talker head on an Adventurer body.

I have since had the head reflocked, he still has his original uniform, but on a non-talker body.

I'm sorry to hear that the flocking was destroyed. Have you tried having him reflocked?

Daryl

Comment

Traded a Magnum Power uniform (no accessories) for a beat up PH nude figure because I did not collect AT at the time.

Traded a vintage mint Heavy Weapons vest and accessories for 5 ME dog togs.
              - Scott
              PH and Proud
              Bulletmann - Hyatta
              See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

Originally posted by TNshooter View Post

That's what I have. My younger brother had AT figures where I had PH figures. A few years back he gave me all of the toys he had left over from childhood, which included his AA talker head on an Adventurer body.

I have since had the head reflocked, he still has his original uniform, but on a non-talker body.

I'm sorry to hear that the flocking was destroyed. Have you tried having him reflocked?

Daryl

I ended up donating the head to someone more capable than me at the time. If I'd held onto it longer I certainly would have.

Comment

Sold my Club AT Asian Adventurer uniform to someone.

Didn't order the Club AT Comrade of Action uniform set.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post

I ended up donating the head to someone more capable than me at the time. If I'd held onto it longer I certainly would have.
                    Oliver,

You can always have an Adventurer head reflocked to include a beard. As far as I know its the same head. I actually purchased a club accessory set for the talking AA commander, thinking of putting it on the
                    vintage figure I have, along with having a box for him. I never used it. I guess you could say that's one Joe mistake I've made. I think I gave $44 for it, then decided the vintage uniform was in nice enough
                    shape to keep him original.

Daryl
                    Last edited by TNshooter; 10-28-2020, 05:07 AM.

Comment

I guess another Joe mistake I made was not getting the accessory set for the last club figure, the B/W Joe. When the club shut down all of those disappeared fast. I didn't get the set because I had no desire for the figure.
                      I should have put him on ebay the moment I got him. Now I guess I'm stuck with it, since it doesn't have the accessory set.

I was also very disappointed in the 50th anniversary offering. I didn't get the accessory set for it either. I could go on a rant, but I won't. Since Hasbro put out 4" figures for the 50th, and they were NOT 50 years old. All
                      Hasbro could have done was to put out ONE figure for 1/6 collectors. And NOT RAH. How many versions of Snake Eyes or Duke do we need?

Comment

Working...
                      X