• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Painting hair on a PH figure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting hair on a PH figure

I was thinking I read a thread here some years ago on the best type/brand of paint to use for painting a Joe head. I just got one on The Trenches FB page. I want to paint him as a blonde figure.

I searched but couldn't find the thread.

Does anyone here remember the thread, or know what type/brand of paint to use?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!
    Daryl

I also have a Joe that needs a new paint job. He also needed to be restrung, which I did(I believe I post pics here. I know I have pics of him on my instagram). Anyways, I have a set of Liquidtex Acrylic paints that I use since I am also an artist, and I have been meaning to try them out. I know acrylic should be the best type of paint to use. I have used this paint on models and it worked great. Maybe this weekend I'll finally paint my Joe. So, that's my recommendation.
    The Joe Collecting "Geek".
    Visit my online art store for some cool art prints:
    www.etsy.com/shop/geekdragonart
    Also follow me on Twitch for some video game goodness at:
    www.twitch.tv/miketheretrogamer
    Want to see my collection? Check out my Instagram:
    www.instagram.com/miketheretrogamer
    Want to see my new art? Check out:
    www.instagram.com/geekdragonart

Comment

GeekDragon, please let me know how it works outs! I'm not sure when I will receive the figure, so I have time.

By the way, what kind of cleaner is used for Acrylic paint? I know lighter fluid works for model car paint.

Daryl
      Last edited by TNshooter; 10-24-2020, 04:22 AM. Reason: additional question

Comment

Originally posted by GeekDragon View Post
        Anyways, I have a set of Liquidtex Acrylic paints that I use since I am also an artist, and I have been meaning to try them out. I know acrylic should be the best type of paint to use. I have used this paint on models and it worked great. Maybe this weekend I'll finally paint my Joe. So, that's my recommendation.
        I remember reading in the past that Liquitex acrylics are the paint of choice fore repainting Joe heads. I remember that Burnt Umber was the choice for brown hair, but can't remember the other three.

Steve

Comment

Blondes and red heads are the hardest to replicate. Since the paint fades over time plus the colors were mixed most likely manually and not by computerized means. Steve is correct, Liquitex or similar artist acrylics are the best. Clean the head with rubbing alcohol first.

Burnt umber is dead on match for brunette and eye brows. Black goes without saying. mixing the red and blonde I have found it best to mix the paint on the head and blend it with the original color. Blondes take yellow, brown touch of red and sometimes a dab of green. Red had brown and yellow mixed in.

Best part, if you make a mistake, alcohol will take it right off.
          - Scott
          PH and Proud
          Bulletmann - Hyatta
          See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

Thanks Steve and Scott! So liquitex is the best brand. But other colors are needed to achieve the original color? The figure I purchased has no paint at all for the hair. The seller sent me a chart from the unofficial Action Man HQ page,
            which lists Citadel as the brand, and Zamesi Desert as the color.

Scott, is brown touch of red a color from Liquitex? And when you say alcohol as a cleaner, is that rubbing alcohol?

Thanks guys!

Daryl

Comment

I looked on the Hobby Lobby site (which has very little Liquitex) and Michael's site which has a much bigger selection of Liquitex paints. No Burnt Umber in acrylic, but they have the color in a marker that is water based.
              No brown touch of red that I could find. They had a Cadmium Yellow Medium Hue. And a burnt sienna.

Any recommendations on where to purchase the paint I need? From what you are saying I won't be able to get the correct colors locally.

Blonde heads don't seem to be very easily available, which is why I wanted to paint this one blonde. If need be I will just go with burnt umber on this figure and look for a vintage figure with blonde hair later.

Comment

Alas, another question. Please be patient with me, I haven't done any head painting before. Liquitex has heavy body and light body paints, as well as the "regular" which I figure is for the common man over artist's.
                I'm guessing the regular is what I need to go for. Their website also says that all of their paints are water based. Which I figure means that water will wash them off?

Comment

Liquitex is a brand I prefer, but any artist acrylic should work. Brown with a touch of Red is a mixture, not a color. As far as Zamesi Desert, never heard of it. But if it is recommended I would not argue. One thing to remember, when it is wet the colors will be darker so when you mix your colors keep that in mind. No Burnt Umber is a shock. It is the most commonly used brown in painting.

I would stay away from marker as they may bleed into the rubber. I have seen a lot of folks use Sharpies and their Joes look like hammered crap when they are done.

As far as alcohol, rubbing is fine. Will not hurt the head or any paint from the factory. You say yours has no paint? sounds lie an AT head.
                  - Scott
                  PH and Proud
                  Bulletmann - Hyatta
                  See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

I agree, stay away from markers. They may be good for small touch up here and there, but not for a complete head.

Comment

Originally posted by GI Defender View Post
                      As far as Zamesi Desert, never heard of it.

As far as alcohol, rubbing is fine. Will not hurt the head or any paint from the factory. You say yours has no paint? sounds lie an AT head.

I have received the figure. I got him from Ed Decker on the Trenches FB page. The body is in super shape and has painted rivets. If the head was an AT head, it has been cleaned really well as there is no trace of glue residue.
                      The uniform is also in great shape. It's crisp, two pockets and has all of the buttons and snaps, and the pants have two snaps. They have come loose on one side and need to be resewn.

The Zamesi Desert color is from Citadel paints. The chart he sent me was from the unofficial Action man site. I'm guessing Citadel is a paint company in the UK.

Also, the scar paint is gone. I forget which color is used for repainting the scar. His eyes and eyebrows are in good shape paint-wise. He has blue eyes.

I mentioned the marker because I thought it might be good for eyebrows and the scar. Thanks for the warning on those Scott and GeekDragon.

However I never thought that acrylic paints would be water based. But that's what the manufacturers' sites are saying.

Daryl

Comment

Yes, acrylic paint is water based. You don't have to water it down alot. When I paint with it, I dip the brush in water and that's it. But, it just depends on what kind of consistency you want.

Comment

Thanks GeekDragon. Do I have to dip the brush in water? Please excuse my naivete, I'm new to painting with acrylics. Considering it's water based, I figured I would use the paint and then wash the brush with water.

Also, I need to know the color for the scar on his cheek.

Daryl

Comment

AT era heads at times strip clean. I have stripped heads in the past where the hair comes off in like a wig. leaving a smooth unpainted look. There my a white powdery residue, that is just glue remnants. Blue eyes? Well he will need to be either black or a red head as that was the factory match ups. Scar mix a little red and white to make pink and repaint, easiest of all the paint repair.
                            - Scott
                            PH and Proud
                            Bulletmann - Hyatta

Comment

Thanks Scott! I have (or used to have with grey creeping in) brown hair and blue eyes, I would think the blonde would have blue eyes. Since I'm painting him, I might just go against factory specs.
                              A custom figure. Unique maybe?

And thank you very much for the info on the scar color. Other than his hair, scar and lips don't have any paint or color, the eyebrows and eyes seem to be complete and in very good shape.

All in all, I'm very happy with this figure since it's in great shape, and the asking price was $29. I used to find basic nude figures for around that price on the bay, but not any longer.

I have a few soldier and marine uniforms to fill, but people are asking a lot for figures these days.

Daryl

Comment

Working...
                              X