• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Forum Status

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Forum Status

All, so you are aware, Charlotte and I may not be upgrading this forum anymore in the future as our current contracts run out. The page has been giving us problem and has been slowing down loading and frankly we do not have the time or energy to keep it up. I am thinking that this is due to the popularity and efforts going into social media platforms and not so much private forums like this. Plus the costs are going up and it is not financially feasible for us to continue paying for security measures for just a handful of folks. This will not effect the Trenches Forum on Facebook, just this one. If things change we will let you know.
    - Scott
    PH and Proud
    Bulletmann - Hyatta
    See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Very sorry to hear this. I used to have a Vbulletin forum but it was about $400 to renew. That was about 6 years ago.

Comment

I hate to hear that, although I can understand if it's becoming costly, But I much prefer posting here, than FB. I only joined FB to keep up with The Trenches, but I haven't found the traffic there to be any more interesting
      than the posts here. And FB has a lot of trolls and jerks.

But, I'm sure its much more cost effective.

It's sad to see such an institution as The Trenches end up going down. I've lived through that while working in the newspaper industry. That industry is dying. But a lot of forums for 1/6 scale figures seem to be
      dying also.

I hate to think that 1/6 collectors are losing interest in the hobby, but that's the only reason I can think of that's causing such a decline in forums like this one. Of course, not having anything new to collect, can
      cause people to realize they have nothing more to collect, and therefore lose interest in the hobby.

Lately I've been spending a lot more time at a forum call AMMO. Although it's in the UK and is mainly based on Action Man, they have all kinds of topics (like this site used to have) including Modern Action Man,
      GI Joe, Marx, Big Jim, Mego and others. And everybody there are really friendly. No trolls or jerks like FB.

I realize there are not as many posters here as FB, but I check in daily to see if there are any new posts. I haven't been on FB in a few days.

But if you and Charlotte decide to dump this forum, please at least give us a few days notice. So we can finish any unfinished business among us at least.

Thank you Scott and Charlotte for the wonderful forum you have provided us over the years!

Daryl
      Last edited by TNshooter; 12-16-2020, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Daryl, can you PM me a link to that forum?

Comment

I was kinda expecting this to happen. It is sad, but I completely understand. I belong to two other forums and one of them has a Facebook page and both are extremely active. It was fun while it lasted. Thank you Scott and Charlotte for all the great memories here. Guess I will have to follow the FB page more, which is cool also.
          The Joe Collecting "Geek".
          Visit my online art store for some cool art prints:
          www.etsy.com/shop/geekdragonart
          Also follow me on Twitch for some video game goodness at:
          www.twitch.tv/miketheretrogamer
          Want to see my collection? Check out my Instagram:
          www.instagram.com/miketheretrogamer
          Want to see my new art? Check out:
          www.instagram.com/geekdragonart

Comment

Scott & Charlotte, I understand that the economics of continuing the forum may not make sense any longer. I will be sad to see the forum disappear as well. Made a lot of online collector friends here. Facebook has sucked all the oxygen from the room. I for one much prefer the thread-based form of this forum, where you can pick and choose topics to read and easily add to common threads. On FB, old topics are continually scrolling off and being supplanted by new posts, so it's hard to follow or add to something like a how-to thread there.

I'll keep reading (and posting when I can) to this forum as long as it is up and running. Thanks to you and everyone else who has contributed to this forum over the years.

Steve S.

Comment

Originally posted by Shermanator View Post
              Facebook has sucked all the oxygen from the room. I for one much prefer the thread-based form of this forum, where you can pick and choose topics to read and easily add to common threads. On FB, old topics are continually scrolling off and being supplanted by new posts, so it's hard to follow or add to something like a how-to thread there.

I'll keep reading (and posting when I can) to this forum as long as it is up and running. Thanks to you and everyone else who has contributed to this forum over the years.

Steve S.
              Well said Steve, well said. I agree totally. I never joined FB through my adult life, but felt I had to, to see what was being posted. I'm sure it's more economical, but I've never wanted to go to FB. My family used to be members and quit. Friends have once
              been members and deleted their accounts. I would hate for The Trenches to end up disappearing altogether. I personally feel that the FB page is a shadow of what this forum once was. It would be nice to see everyone come back here, and this forum
              flourish once again.

I didn't know him well, but I wonder what Buck would say about the situation. Oh, I just realized I haven't seen Sgt. Fink in quite awhile. Not knowing his real name, I don't know if he posts on FB or not.

Sgt. Fink was the first person on the forum to be super nice to me, sending me a part that I needed, where I learned about passing on the kharma. I have tried to do that ever since, and have been able to at least a couple of times. That is the forum I
              remember and loved. There are others that I don't remember their usernames, after the forum disappeared for around three years, and I was not collecting for a bit due to burnout on the hobby. But I'm back, ready to go again. But FB is a hollow
              imitation of this board.

Daryl

Comment

Originally posted by TNshooter View Post

Lately I've been spending a lot more time at a forum call AMMO. Although it's in the UK and is mainly based on Action Man, they have all kinds of topics (like this site used to have) including Modern Action Man,
                GI Joe, Marx, Big Jim, Mego and others. And everybody there are really friendly. No trolls or jerks like FB.

If you can post a lint to this forum, I would like to check it out.
                The Joe Collecting "Geek".
                Visit my online art store for some cool art prints:
                www.etsy.com/shop/geekdragonart
                Also follow me on Twitch for some video game goodness at:
                www.twitch.tv/miketheretrogamer
                Want to see my collection? Check out my Instagram:
                www.instagram.com/miketheretrogamer
                Want to see my new art? Check out:
                www.instagram.com/geekdragonart

Comment

Just saw this, and Scott and Charlotte we all appreciate your efforts with the forum all of these years.

I don't do Facebook myself, don't expect that to change in the future, so I do hope we can all stay in contact.
                  Danny(Drquest)
                  Captain Action HQ
                  Custom Shirts

Comment

Originally posted by GeekDragon View Post

If you can post a lint to this forum, I would like to check it out.
                    Here is a link to the AMMO site:
                    https://actionmanmobileops.forumotion.co.uk/forum

Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G I Joe, Group Action Joe, and all other 1/6 Figures

Comment

Steve beat me to it, but that's okay. Thanks Steve!

Another forum that you might like is fuzzheadquarters, at https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/fuzzheadquarters/

Unfortunately its base membership have seem to have disappeared, but there are still a few of us that post there. If this forum closes, it would be great for new members to populate it.
                      Its core reason is for the Adventure Team. But what is great about it is that you can talk and post photos of just about any kind of 1/6 figures, vehicles, etc.

There's a section called off the scale where other scales, such as the eight inch Megos, can be discussed. Everyone there is easy going and laid back, so any kind of project you have
                      you can post without any criticism or someone saying "that's not historically correct." I've heard of other forums having members like that. But FHQ is an easy going group that appreciates
                      that other people have different collecting tastes.

Daryl
                      Last edited by TNshooter; 12-21-2020, 07:21 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Bummed to see ya may shut this great place down. If ya need donations to keep it going.....I am in. Let us know.

Comment

The Mego Museum has a GiJoe section as well. They added a Captain Action section this past year when I found out our email list hosted by Yahoo was shutting down.

Lots of great collectors over there.
                          Danny(Drquest)
                          Captain Action HQ
                          Custom Shirts

Comment

Can you give us a link to the Mego Museum?

Comment

This is directly to the GiJoe section. http://megomuseum.com/community/foru...e-Headquarters
                              Danny(Drquest)
                              Captain Action HQ
                              Custom Shirts

Comment

Working...
                              X