• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Forum Status

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks drquest! It's now bookmarked.

Comment

Well thanks a lot for the kind words folks, it isn't final yet but with the way everything is going it isn't looking good. That said, the site itself will remain active as long as we can keep it going, but we won't be sinking anymore money into upgrades or security. (Meaning there may be some spammers slipping in.) vBulletin is a nice gig but it is a hacker paradise. Trust me, as many times as Charlotte had to rebuild this site, it really made us question the choice to re-up the license.

Like you I am not overly thrilled with the book of faces but there are many out there that prefer it. We were fortunate enough to carve out a small portion of it and fit into the block. But folks there lack the comradery we share here. It seems that when folks get into a group of strangers sometimes the beat their chests twice as hard to try to assert their dominance. Not to mention the vetting is twice as hard. No longer are we group of friendly collectors whom have met at shows or watched their families mature. Sucks but it is a sad reality.

Danny, PM me your phone number. The one I have in my phone isn't correct. I have tried to call you a few times as I cruised thru your area and my number doesn't seem to work.

Oh, and Brian Fink passed away unexpectedly several years ago, a sad loss to the collecting community.
      - Scott
      PH and Proud
      Bulletmann - Hyatta
      See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

I too will hate to see The Trenches Forum go away. I refuse to go to facebook. it'll be like the dark ages of the 1980s all over again. Such as life I guess. Lots of thanks to Scott and Charlotte for keeping this going for all these years! It was selfless, heroic, and much appreciated by us JoeHeads.
        - ATC

Comment

Originally posted by GI Defender View Post
          Like you I am not overly thrilled with the book of faces but there are many out there that prefer it. We were fortunate enough to carve out a small portion of it and fit into the block. But folks there lack the comradery we share here. It seems that when folks get into a group of strangers sometimes the beat their chests twice as hard to try to assert their dominance. Not to mention the vetting is twice as hard. No longer are we group of friendly collectors whom have met at shows or watched their families mature. Sucks but it is a sad reality.

Oh, and Brian Fink passed away unexpectedly several years ago, a sad loss to the collecting community.
          Another member mentioned participating in the cost. The Tapatalk forums are like that, where people can donate to help keep a site going and ad free. I for one would give what I can. I've done so at FHQ.

I am saddened to hear of Sgt. Fink's passing. I didn't know. When I first joined The Trenches a few years ago, he was so kind to me, sending me a part at no cost to help my collection. He didn't know me at all, I was a newbie to the forum.
          At the time there was talk of "passing the kharma." I was so touched by his kindness that I tried to do the same, "pass the kharma." I sent two or three items to other members at no cost, hoping to keep that alive.

Just now, I received a figure from Steve, Shermanator, that I received today. Seeing the cost of postage on the package, knowing he had to lose some money to paypal, and with the price he quoted he practically gave me that figure.
          That is a true Trencher. Not the jerks and trolls on social media. And I second what ATC just said.

This forum is special, and always has been, because of the love and work that you and Charlotte have put into it. We understand it can be time consuming and costly, that is why some of us are ready to help with the cost by donations.

We love this forum, and will hate to see it go.

Daryl

Comment

The one good thing about Facebook is Joezeta's auctions. I tune in whenever I can, and always learn something, even if I don't buy every time. He's a very knowledgeable collector, and a great resource. I didn't know about Sgt. Fink's passing either. He and I lived in the same general area, and almost met at a toy show in St. Charles years back. He saw me I'm sure, but I didn't know him by sight. Good guy. I too would contribute to help keep this forum alive. I still check here every few days. I check Facebook much less these days too.

Comment

Working...
            X