• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foot Swap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot Swap

Digging through my junk box today (a bin full of action figure body parts) I found an old Barbie and a Wonder Woman. Both were pretty useless for a variety of reasons, but one big problem was their feet. I did a foot swap, using CC Joe baby feet and Action Jackson feet. This made both figures at least marginally useful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210124_195516922~2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	4801

Are these movable Barbies? Otherwise, I didn't think their feet were removable. Are Action Jackson feet as large as CC Joe feet?

Comment

The one with a teeny tiny miniature microscopic feet was a sports Barbie that was almost super articulated. It had the double jointed knees and elbows. I just yanked out the feet, drilled the hole out large enough to accommodate the thicker action jackson foot pegs, then warmed the legs up in hot water and crammed the action man feet onto the legs.

The other figure, with the thicker ankles, had no foot pegs. It was almost like a blow molded lower leg, only the plastic was a lot thicker. I actually had to cut the feet off with a Dremel tool. Once I had removed the feet, the inner space available to mount the footpeg was slightly smaller in diameter than the peg itself it wasn't exactly round. So I used a drill to widen it a bit, which also made the whole round,, warmed the leg up in a couple of boiling hot water, and crammed the new GIJOE CC baby foot on. Because of the way it bulges the plastic after cooling, it won't come out, but it will still rotate like it should. It might not be the prettiest result, but I'm happy with it.

Now both of these figures can wear action fatigues and combat boots. Mission accomplished!

Incidentally, the Barbie has open hands, which makes it difficult for the figure to hold anything. I found that Big Jim accessories seem to work fine. The Barbie can hold the Big Jim shotgun, ax, etc, no problem.

IMHO the best female action figure is still the classic collection GI Jane. It's too bad they never did a super articulated version.

Comment

[QUOTE=ATC;n4803]and crammed the new GIJOE CC baby foot on. Because of the way it bulges the plastic after cooling, it won't come out, but it will still rotate like it should. It might not be the prettiest result, but I'm happy with it.[QUOTE]

I didn't realize the CC had baby feet. I do know that some had a protruding heel which others didn't.

[QUOTE=ATC;n4803]Incidentally, the Barbie has open hands, which makes it difficult for the figure to hold anything. I found that Big Jim accessories seem to work fine. The Barbie can hold the Big Jim shotgun, ax, etc, no problem.[QUOTE]

Yeah, Big Jim also had open hands. Newer Barbie accessories are made like the old Big Jim, with plastic brackets that fit over the hands.

Originally posted by ATC View Post
        IMHO the best female action figure is still the classic collection GI Jane. It's too bad they never did a super articulated version.
        Unfortunately Hasbro didn't make many GI Jane figures. The helicopter pilot, the vietnam nurse, maybe a couple of military sets and the AT figure with the crocodile. I had posted in the forums of the club that I would like to see a repro of
        the GI Nurse, even if it was a molded hair figure on the modern Jane body. Some others agreed. But what did they give us the last year? A black and white Joe. I didn't even bother getting the accessory set, but I should have. I don't think
        I can sell the basic figure I have without it.

Oh well.

Daryl

Comment

Unless it's a move-able Barbie (I only have one, one of the Harley ones which I think is still in the box somewhere), what I do with them is remove the head, and put them on Obitsu bodies. The Obitsu bodies are completely
          pose-able, come with different hands (I use the gripping ones) and the Barbie heads go right on with the correct neckpost (the body comes with 3 or 4). I haven't bought one in a while, but as I recall they were $25. They are
          popular in Japan, but I got them from a US seller called Junkyspot. Originally I got them on ebay, but the seller has a website now.

I recently reprised a long ago post at FHQ. Including photos I had done about nine years ago.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/fuzz...s-2-t8652.html

And then later posted a new thread about the third combo I had made with a Barbie head and an Obitsu body. The Obitsu bodies wear Barbie clothes very well.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/fuzz...s-2-t8652.html

I actually have a Barbie military outfit, with camo pants and if I remember correctly an olive drab shirt. Just getting back into the hobby after about 4 years or so I can't remember where
          they are. I will need to find another Barbie head and get another Obitsu body to put it on.

Last edited by TNshooter; 01-26-2021, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I look forward to seeing what you do the Barbies ATC. After you have them in fatigues and boots.

Daryl

Comment

Okay, here is a pic with fatigues and Boots as ordered.

Name:	IMG_20210124_200518869~2.jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	4808
              Maybe a granddaughter will like these someday. I don't see them being part of the Joe team.

Comment

Why not? The figure on the left seems capable. That's the Vietnam nurse uniform isn't it? Granted Barbies are not quite GI Janes. I have two Barbie heads on Obitsu bodies as FBI agents.
                A third is a Barbie head on an Obitsu body in a Barbie nurse uniform. I plan to have them in my 1/6 world. The reason I put the heads on Obitsu bodies was for more articulation. I'm currently
                watching an auction on three more heads. I like the closed mouth Barbies, I don't care for the vapid smile ones. Here is a Barbie head on an Obitsu body:

Name:	gi nurse.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	4811

I have a doctor in the works. The outfit on this one is a reproduction of a Barbie from the '60's. I was looking for a WWII vibe. Granted, I'm not exactly sure how the hat should fit.
                But I think, done in the right way, Barbies can be integrated into a Joe world. Barbie outfits fit the Obitsu bodies well.

Just my humble opinion.

Daryl

Comment

I prefer the female head sculpts with molded hair. They look more like action figures to me than the rooted hair sculpts.

Name:	IMG_20210128_150124546~2.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	4814

Comment

Working...
                  X