• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Forum Interest?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember I created a forum around 15 years ago. There were barely any posts or members and I kinda forgot about it. I don't even remember what I named it.
    The Joe Collecting "Geek".
    Visit my online art store for some cool art prints:
    www.etsy.com/shop/geekdragonart
    Also follow me on Twitch for some video game goodness at:
    www.twitch.tv/miketheretrogamer
    Want to see my collection? Check out my Instagram:
    www.instagram.com/miketheretrogamer
    Want to see my new art? Check out:
    www.instagram.com/geekdragonart

Comment

Comment

I would post more often here, but life concerns have had me very occupied the past few months. No sign of letup either.

Comment

Almost 'Done Enough' to launch. I wrapped up all the Forum/Category rules.

It's a fairly nice day today, and I've got some time to myself, may take some header pictures.

Comment

"If they don't come here, screw them."

Well, isn't that nice. . . NO WHERE near the point I was trying to make. I think anyone that knows me personally, like many in this hobby does, knows that was NOT what I was saying. Thanks for trying to make me look like the world's biggest internet dick out there.

The point is, many active folks here are also active on Face Book and are also members of the Facebook Trenches there. TN Shooter you included. Some members such as ATC (Dave) are not. Guys like Dave are the reason it was painful to me to make my initial post. It is insulting to me and Charlotte to see a long time member of forums that we provided think that we don't care. Nothing could be further than the truth.

Fact is, we were gonna close down the Trenches years ago but were asked by some non Facebook friends to keep it open. Charlotte and I did some soul searching and decided to keep this place going. The folks that asked to keep it open have never posted here once. NOT ONCE. We try to cater to our friends, but there comes a time where it is not financially feasible to keep this site going at the level of expectation that we feel the Trenches deserves. Nothing you see here was free.

I did not have to post a forum closing thread but I did because wanted to slowly phase this board out and I have the utmost respect for our friends and members. It isn't disappearing as of right now but we are not going to continue to spend on web upgrades and virus protections, or security upgrades.

For those wanting to run their own boards, I say go for it. Just remember, pop up ads such as what you see on Tap a Talk are there for a reason. Also, hackers prey on message boards. My biggest advice, you are only as good as your security. Trenches learned this several times. Site Security isn't cheap.

In closing, I am appalled at the mere thought of what has been insinuated in this thread. I am saddened that some folks would think that Charlotte and I don't care about our members.
            - Scott
            PH and Proud
            Bulletmann - Hyatta
            See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

I'm sorry my best intentions got everyone a little flustered. I think these past 12-14 months have put a lot of stress on everyone.

Not just for the obvious, but within the hobby as well. The Trenches is going down, Patches of Pride is closed. 2nd hand prices are on the rise while the coffers continue to drain.

I just want a good casual meeting place for Joe heads. Facebook is ok, but I feel like forums are tighter, and more personal.

Scott, I'm sorry words got twisted here. And I would like to offer a formal invite to my forum once I get it running, if you'll come.

Comment

• GI Defender
                GI Defender commented
                Editing a comment
                I will be honored to join. Charlotte and I wish you nothing but the best of luck. My frustration was not directed to you for wanting to start your own discussion board.

Also, to be clear, the Trenches as a group continues to exist and thrive albeit on Facebook. In this digital world of Social Media boards such as this are kind of like a mom and pops candy store next to a Wal Mart. Nice to go in from time to time to reminisce, but the selection is better next door so thats where you spend the most time.

Another thing I wanted to touch on, we have NEVER asked for any member to donate money for this site. Only once every two years we get donations because this forum continues to finance the children's custom figure and diorama contest at Joe Lanta. It has always been Charlotte and my belief that this little slice of the internet was for the enjoyment of our members with no strings attached. Once you solicit funds folks want to know where their money goes and for good reason. We did not want the burden. Regarding sponsoring the contests, our logo on the Joe (Toy) Lanta banner tells the story.

Also, I find it ironic that when you visit Fuzz Heads HQ (which I am a member) to see the first post is from Daryl, talking about something he read on the Trenches Facebook Group. Guess he must have found something exciting.
              - Scott
              PH and Proud
              Bulletmann - Hyatta
              See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

I'm one of the folks you keep this Forum open for, scott? Holy cow! I feel special! And warm and fuzzy, too! Since I don't do social media, and probably never will, I'll keep checking the trenches as long as it's here. And when it goes the way of the dodo, I certainly understand. You and Charlotte have done a great job for many years and I think I speak for all Joe heads when I say "Thank you! We appreciate your long-term dedication to The Forum and the hobby!"

Comment

• GI Defender
                  GI Defender commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dave. you know I always have a soft spot for you. We go back way to far. I was not speaking of you when I wrote that. To explain: Several years ago while in Joe Lanta we had stated we were going to probably discontinue the boards. It was after our third (fourth?) hacking and we were pretty much a mess as it was our most costly fix and we lost every file which meant starting from scratch. We were being lambasted by folks who lost their photos that were stored in the gallery among other files. Basically, we were blamed for them losing the files they had stored on free web space we provided. Why they didn't back up the files is anyone's guess. We were approached by a few folks we knew, who told us we needed to keep it open as they didn't do face book. After thinking long and hard, we decided to build the board back. Those are the gentlemen have never posted here.

Dave you have always been a dear friend, and you know how difficult of a decision this is/was for us to make. Please don't misinterpret what I say as it was not directed at you.

I can't imagine anybody giving you flak over the many years of dedication to the hobby and generosity toward the Trenches members, Scott! Unless they just don't know any better, There seem to be maybe a half dozen (or less) of us on the Trenches these days. If you decide to pull the plug on it, you'll hear no "dissing" from me! Who knows... maybe I'll need to make myself a facebook account for the specific purpose of joining you on the Trenches. So if you want to pull the plug here to avoid hassle, flak, and expense, yank away! S'all good! Group hug! Kumbaya! :-)
                - ATC

Comment

I primarily access Facebook for the special interest groups, like the Trenches and other action figure sites, as well as vintage HO slot cars and the Parts Pit for vintage Aurora monster and other figure models. I rarely post anything personal on there. I also joined MeWe, a Facebook-like social media site that claims not to harvest and sell your info. There's at least one GI Joe group on their and a general vintage toys group I follow, but there's just not a lot of traffic because the site hasn't caught on like FB has.

Comment

Working...
                  X