• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Special Project for my Son

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There were a few "sportsman" sets out there that ended up in my collection. I don't remember where I picked them up. Some stuff is re-purposed Big Jim stuff, but some is 12" sportsman stuff. One is a duck hunting outfit with trebark camo and a duck blind along with a really cool shotgun. I think that one came with a female figure (that got a new head and is now wearing a Hitler Youth uniform on my shelf). Oddly enough, that figure was LEFT HANDED! That was unusual. Left hand is pistol-grippy while the right hand is open (they fit the shotgun nicely, left handed). Some of the "sportsman" stuff made its way into the Adventure Team milieu, the camping stuff contributed to an AT "base camp" setup. There may not be a big distinction between Adventure and Sportsman (like Capture of the Pygmy Gorilla, White Tiger Hunt, etc).

Tents are easy to make. In this pic, the table is a Big Jim table, as are the stools and cooking pots. The bucket came from Soldiers of the World. One leg of the table is a dowel, because I only had 3 legs (I've since found another). The tripod and coffee pot are from the General Grant (or Lee) set. The lantern and spotlight are keychains with the chains removed (they both really work). The fire pit is an old CD. My son (who was very young at the time) has stones glue-gunned around the perimeter, sticks with ends painted yellow and red, and some cotton ball fluff for smoke. It was a fun project he enjoyed. And it looks better than the crummy "version two" rubbery plastic one that came with the White Tiger Hunt set (or the original vacu-formed thin plastic original White Tiger Hut fire ring).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	tent.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	5205
    http://www.gijoe.50megs.com/Tent-pg.html

You can find sportsman-type boats at craft stores like Hobby Lobby that far outclass the Hasbro versions. Here's a pic of a Hobby Lobby canoe and boat flanking the Hasbro Pygmy Gorilla boat. The Mountie's canoe is much cooler, as is the Indiana Jones guy's rowboat. I was gong to put an electric outboard motor on that rowboat, but couldn't find one at a decent price. (They used to be all over the place when I was a kid, but now you can only get them from Japanese vendors and pay quadruple the price for postage!) Note the Hasbro boat was undergoing repairs when this photo was taken. I had cut out plastic that was progressively melting and replaced it with sheet plastic of the same thickness. I hadn't puttied, sanded, or repainted it yet. The Hasbro boat looks downright silly beside the Hobby Lobby boats; Land Adventurer has given up. Those Hobby Lobby boats aren't water-ready, though. They're decorations. If you wanted boats your son could play with in water, they'd probably ought to have a few coats of varnish or polyurethane before putting them in the water.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	boats.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	5204
    http://www.italspat.iwarp.com/boatpg.htm

Good luck!
    - ATC
    http://www.gijoe.50megs.com/

Comment

Working...
    X