• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paratrooper Joe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paratrooper Joe

On a whim, I picked up a cheap flare parachute on Ebay. It was 34" in diameter, but would stretch to 36". Made of thin fabric with sewn parachute cords. Figured I'd make a parachute harness or stuff it into a vintage parachute pack. But since it was a new toy, I had to go play with it first. I loosely wrapped it and tossed Joe into the air... and he came down with a billowing white canopy. Nice. Joe was a Walmart Man of Action repro with a Hasbro paratrooper uniform, ME boots, and a Cotswold helmet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	chute1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	5093

In the above pic, you can see the relative size. I think it's a tad small for Joe. I'd have preferred it to be a little bigger (maybe 40 or 42") for a slower descent. This one comes down faster than I'd like... then again, less time in the air means less time floating around as a target for enemy fire!

Click image for larger version

Name:	chute2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	5094
    Here's Joe on his way down. His right arm and right leg are in an awkward position, but I was throwing with one hand and trying to catch a photo on my phone with the other. I was lucky to get a pic AT ALL!

You may notice the parachute cord in the MIDDLE of the canopy. On the way down, it looks kinda like a white donut instead of a spherical chute. Not sure why a flare parachute has that center cord, but it didn't seem to affect the operation of the parachute. Maybe it keeps the rest of the chute deployed wider. I dunno. I thought it was a pretty cool parachute, though.

I just used rubber bands to hold the parachute on for testing.
    I'll rig up a better harness later.

Joe successfully completed TEN jumps without a mishap or issue.
    Thus, he earned his Jump Wings yesterday afternoon.
    "GiJoe, GiJoe, fighing man from head to toe..."

- ATC

Flare chutes are the greatest! I have a couple of my parachute packs stuffed with slap flare chutes I launched in Korea. I think they may be a tad bigger. Is this the guy you gonna hoist with the drone?
    - Scott
    PH and Proud
    Bulletmann - Hyatta
    See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

• ATC
      ATC commented
      Editing a comment
      My drone experiment was a failure. After a bazillion wrecks, I realized that Joe's floppiness was screwing stuff up. If his arm or leg moved, even a tiny bit, it'd send the drone off in another direction, out of control. By the time I got it UNDER control, Joe would move again, ever so slightly, starting the debacle all over again. It would have worked with a totally static Joe with a rigid seat, but it seriously lacked the "play value" I was looking for. I've always got wind blowing across the farm fields, too, which usually make drone flights sporty even WITHOUT a Joe dangling underneath it. Oh well. Nothing ventured, nothing gained (or learned). ;-)

Great photos ATC! Great that the parachute worked.

Comment

Very nice! I still haven't tried the parachutes on any of my Joes.

Comment

That 'chut is cool. I picked up the parachute guy that came out in the late 90's and he worked pretty good. I also remember trying out the chute that came with one of my favorite vintage sets, Sky dive To Danger(I need a new mask for it though). I just couldn't get enough height for it at the time
        The Joe Collecting "Geek".
        Visit my online art store for some cool art prints:
        www.etsy.com/shop/geekdragonart
        Also follow me on Twitch for some video game goodness at:
        www.twitch.tv/miketheretrogamer
        Want to see my collection? Check out my Instagram:
        www.instagram.com/miketheretrogamer
        Want to see my new art? Check out:
        www.instagram.com/geekdragonart

Comment

My bride was throwing away a plaid umbrella. The pattern looked like a Scottish kilt. The nylon was very thin. I figured it looked about right for a Joe chute. So I attached parachute cords and tried it out with a 21C British paratrooper (he must have enlisted in Scotland). It worked great! Not very stealthy, though.

Comment

P.S. another thing that makes great parachutes is the thin plastic table covers for parties. Available in a bunch of different colors. One tablecloth can make a couple of chutes. They also make good tents and ponchos, too.

Comment

Working...
            X