• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy birthday, gi joe!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy birthday, gi joe!

On this day, in 1964, GI JOE made his debut.
    Happy Birthday!
    - ATC

Edit: I saw the commercial on Decades TV again... it said "this MONTH" not "this DAY." Oops. Sorry for the Fake News. I was still in diapers, so I don't remember personally. Joe was introduced on February 2, 1964. I didn't get my first Joe until around 1967-1968. My friend Howard had TONS of 'em, and my parents got me a Joe so I could have my own when I went over to play at his house. That was very cool! And it was a big step for a Mom who wore pants, was up to her eyeballs in "Women's Lib" and hated "those evil WAR TOYS" with a passion. She wasn't happy when I made the military my career; perhaps she's the reason I did it. Thanks, Mom! ;-)
    Last edited by ATC; 02-01-2022, 02:23 PM.

I didn't know that. Thanks ATC!

Comment

Here's the "Debut TV Commercial" on youtube:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X382bCvVvo

Remember, only GI Joe is GI Joe!

Comment

A lot of folks are celebrating today as Joe's birthday but I think it was the second of Feb when he debuted at Toy Fare in 64. Either way, it was a great time to be alive and I know it was that Christmas when my life changed.
        - Scott
        PH and Proud
        Bulletmann - Hyatta
        See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

Seeing the Adventure Team on store shelves and playing with my uncles childhood Joes is what got me started on my G.I.Joe journey. So, here's to you Joe. Better late then never.

Also, speaking of Birthdays, this year marks the 40th Anniversary of 3 3/4" Joe.
          The Joe Collecting "Geek".
          Visit my online art store for some cool art prints:
          www.etsy.com/shop/geekdragonart
          Also follow me on Twitch for some video game goodness at:
          www.twitch.tv/miketheretrogamer
          Want to see my collection? Check out my Instagram:
          www.instagram.com/miketheretrogamer
          Want to see my new art? Check out:
          www.instagram.com/geekdragonart

Comment

Working...
          X