• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Forgotten Soldier of the World

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Forgotten Soldier of the World

The Soldiers of the World series had all of the major players represented... as well as a couple of minor ones. Including the Russians and Brits made sense, as they were our allies. The Axis, composed of Germany, Italy, and Japan, is represented only by German and Japanese action figures (Italy was left out by Hasbro). The French Resistance is a weird one, because they were no more or less active than Yugoslavian Italian, or Greek resistance fighters, yet Hasbro included them. The Aussie was weird, too, because they weren't a major power (though they certainly augmented the British, much like the Canadians did). It always seemed odd to me to omit Italy, so I decided to put one together. Here's my Forgotten Soldier of the World from Italy. I figured the Bersaglieri would be the way to go, since they were the regiment that was the very best. The regiment were above-average in size and stamina, endured intense physical training and ALL of them had to qualify as marksmen. By the time US got into the war, the Italians were pretty much decimated (they were often used as cannon fodder by the Germans), but at least one division of Bersaglieri fought on with the Germans to the bitter end of WWII.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SOTW-bers2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	5528
    The figure is a 40th figure, dressed in a "kitbash" Italian uniform. Most of it is from Twisting Toyz. I tried to think a little bit like a Hasbro Executive and looked at ways to cut costs and put it in the same realm as the other SOTW figures. The trousers are oddball brown Joe trousers, nothing special... but it would mean Hasbro wouldn't have to come up with goofy knickers and leg wraps, which could get expensive and difficult for kids to PLAY with. The boots are generic combat boots instead of something special, again to cut costs. Each SOTW figure had a special weapon, ammo belt or pouches, and something else that was unique. So I figured a unique set of ammo pouches and rifle would be in order (like they did for the Japanese and German figures). The rifle is a Model 38 Carcano, rather than the 91/38 carbine, mostly because THIS rifle is authentic period, but is not as fragile with the skinny barrel and goofy folding bayonet (more play value and harder for kids to destroy). The backpack was a no-brainer since it was included with other SOTW figures (Japanese, German, and a flamethrower backpack on the Aussie). Heck, Hasbro could probably modify the Japanese backpack to work well enough. The canteen would be an easy one, too... cheap to produce and easy to include. The helmet is unique (like the German, Brit, French and Japanese headgear), but it is also a useful design for re-use (a pith helmet). Incidentally, the vintage pith helmet is terrible, and a better pith helmet sculpt would have been a welcome addition to the Joe line. There is also an entrenching tool and bayonet piece on Joe's belt that could be omitted, but remains on the prototype so the advocate has something to "give up" in the compromise of committee battling at Hasbro. Maybe substitute a knife or pistol. As the 1970s approached, it'd be easy to re-use the jacket and helmet in other sets (like they did the Aussie jacket and pith helmet. Perhaps they could even use a modified Aussie jacket for the Bersaglieri figure. IMHO Hasbro dropped the ball by failing to include the Italian SOTW (while oddly including the Aussie and French Resistance). A lot can be said for re-using components already in production, but with just a few unique pieces (certainly not any more than they did for OTHER SOTW figures), they could have put together an Italian infantryman in the Soldiers of the World series. Now I have one in mine -- the way Hasbro SHOULD have done it! :-)
    - ATC

Looking good. I also found it strange that Italy wasn't represented in the line. Maybe Hasbro didn't have the money for another figure?
    The Joe Collecting "Geek".
    Visit my online art store for some cool art prints:
    www.etsy.com/shop/geekdragonart
    Also follow me on Twitch for some video game goodness at:
    www.twitch.tv/miketheretrogamer
    Want to see my collection? Check out my Instagram:
    www.instagram.com/miketheretrogamer
    Want to see my new art? Check out:
    www.instagram.com/geekdragonart

Comment

Hasbro's "Axis" only has one point.

It's hard to draw a line between Berlin and Rome, and call it an "axis," when you only have ONE point... in Berlin!
      ;-)

Comment

Looks really cool ATC. I've not done anything in the hobby for most of the last year. I watched Kenny George's auction tonight, but didn't buy anything this time.

Comment

Joes go in phases for me, too. I don't even think about Joes for months, and then end up being a total Joe addict for a while... then it passes and I focus on some other hobby. I think I have too many hobbies...
          - ATC

Comment

I also collect the 3 3/4" Joes, so I tend to bounch back and fourth between them. Oover the last couple years, I have been focusing on the little guys, but over the last year, I started buying the 6" Classified figures, which are great BTW. I do need to get back to the 12" guys. I want to outfit all my figures in vintage Joe outfits and/or sets. Been thinking about it for years.
            Also, I collect comics, vintage Star Wars figures, monster mags and monster stuff and trying to get my art career off the ground and doing my own comic.
            The Joe Collecting "Geek".
            Visit my online art store for some cool art prints:
            www.etsy.com/shop/geekdragonart
            Also follow me on Twitch for some video game goodness at:
            www.twitch.tv/miketheretrogamer
            Want to see my collection? Check out my Instagram:
            www.instagram.com/miketheretrogamer
            Want to see my new art? Check out:
            www.instagram.com/geekdragonart

Comment

Working...
            X