• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kentuckiana Show

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kentuckiana Show

The Kentucky Show is right around the corner (Jul 30). This is the show put on by Steve Stovall and his crew. Always a good time and always some killer deals to be found. Char and I are going, is anyone here?
    - Scott
    PH and Proud
    Bulletmann - Hyatta
    See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Definitely going. With my wife Heather, and my son Tommy who has autism. He had a good time last time we all went in 2020.

Comment

I've got a conflict this year. :-(
      Sure will miss it, though!
      I think NEXT year I'll try to go and even get a TABLE to offload some stuff... to make room for new stuff!
      I'm hoping my schedule will change last minute, but I'm not holding my breath.

What's the cool show special this year, Scott?
      Last time I went it was Buzz Aldrin... very cool.
      - ATC
      Last edited by ATC; 07-21-2022, 08:59 PM.

Comment

I would love to go, but, I have been to so many cons since October, I'm getting all conned out. One of these years.......
        The Joe Collecting "Geek".
        Visit my online art store for some cool art prints:
        www.etsy.com/shop/geekdragonart
        Also follow me on Twitch for some video game goodness at:
        www.twitch.tv/miketheretrogamer
        Want to see my collection? Check out my Instagram:
        www.instagram.com/miketheretrogamer
        Want to see my new art? Check out:
        www.instagram.com/geekdragonart

Comment

Dave, you will be missed. Steve has shown some teaser pics on facebook but I for the life of me cannot find them. It is an AT Theme.
          - Scott
          PH and Proud
          Bulletmann - Hyatta
          See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

Ah. The world *still* seems to live on facebook,. Facebook is a tool of the devil. :-(

I'd love to go this year, but I have to deliver a car to Norfolk VA this weekend. When you're having fun in Louisville, I'll be driving... and driving... and driving...
            :-(

Comment

I'll be there.

The show exclusive set is called "Idol from the Lost Jungle".

Comment

Here it is!

"Idol from a lost jungle"
                Click image for larger version

Name:	1659274212418_0_1659273786017~2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	5685

Thanks for the photos, Scott!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1_1659273775662~2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	5684
                :-)
                - ATC

Comment

Just got back from the great Kentuckiana show. I spent nearly my whole budget on new production items. Especially 5 nice boxes from Jeremy Milford of Pawtucket Platoon (pawtucketplatoon@gmail.com), and two repro latex Gi Joe SCUBA suits (one black and one orange) from Tearle Ashby at wetsuitman.com Tearle said he uses the original molds which the vintage wetsuits were made on. He purchased them from a guy who owned them and taught himself how to work with Latex. He didn't have any yellow jackets with him, as the suits take a long time to manufacture. They look fantastic! I can't wait to chose the lucky Joe who will go diving first!

The boxes are for figures I already own in vintage, as I don't collect boxed figures or carded items due to the expense. But these boxes are so nice and so well built that I really can't resist. I came home with the Adventurer, the Man of Action, the Talking Action Pilot, Adventure Team Talking Astronaut, and with the Talking Action Sailor (which I was hoping to find this weekend, but may pick up at Joelanta in March. I'm now planning a trip there (my first). I also got a nice MB MOA uniform from Derryl DePriest.

I was there with my wife and son Tommy. I was able to introduce Heather to Brian Becker and chat briefly. I didn't get to speak with other Trenchers unfortunately. Also unfortunately, we didn't spend much time with Tommy in the showrooms. He has autism, and has extremely sensitive hearing. Crowds are normally okay for him and he enjoyed the showrooms last time he was here. This time however, there was a crying toddler in a stoller and it went on much longer than necessary. By the time the family left the room, Tommy was already gone, and didn't want to return. I was very disappointed as I wanted to show him the Mego figures in one room and some of the Gi Joe stuff. So I spent my time shuttling back and forth between an hour or so in the showrooms, and spending time in the hotel room with Heather and Tommy. Fortunately, a Godzilla movie came on the TV later in the evening, and Tommy really enjoyed that. I also found a Galaxxian like game app on my cell phone which he became obsessed with and probably stayed up most of the night playing.

So I may have missed some of the items I had hoped to find at the show (see my want's list for the things I hope to find), but I think really they are more easily found on Ebay or though trading - or perhaps at Joelanta. I'm trying to complete several later sets, and need a couple of pieces for many, and a few uniforms from the 75-76 era. Most of those I saw were on figures priced at over $300. One of those would have been 3/4 of my budget. I guess I need to expand my budget!

Comment

Kentucky show is rapidly becoming my go-to show. Small and intimate with a very nice selection of stuff to choose from. Ricky didn't have the Joe Trunk anymore, said it was in his trailer and had like 6 Joes left in it. Never got the chance to go out but did get a nice blond nude PH from him. Got an early issue hard head Marine from Ace and some web belts and a rifle from Paul Nordstrom. I picked up the sleeper of the show, a mint Major Matt Mason with a working jet pack from Derryl DePreist. It was overlooked by many because it was filthy and all the card said was no broken wires. Got him home and in 15 minutes he looked like he had just come off the card. . .and . . .the jet pack still worked! The first I have ever found in the wild that was not destroyed internally! Picked up a few bits and bobs at Cotswold and also got Sterling some black series Star Wars stuff he was looking for. The best part, we spent most of the day with our friend Pat Kelly and his wife Coleen who we have not seen for almost 3 years. It was a magical weekend. Jim had I know when we waved and yelled across the room at you that was going to be the only time we saw \you, I would have came over for a visit. Next year's show should be better as it will be held at a new larger location. Just hope that there is a Cracker Barrel across the street because THAT was so convenient!
                    - Scott
                    PH and Proud
                    Bulletmann - Hyatta

Comment

I had hoped to talk to you Scott. Just to catch up. At least we saw each other! Just wasn't in the cards for me this trip. I agree on Cracker Barrel. We tried the Mexican place across the lot and while decent food, it was well below standard Mexican fare. We love Mexican food and have lots of good restaurants to choose from in Chicagoland. We did luckily find a restaurant/bar called Roosters, which was great. Never been to one before, but enjoyed it thoroughly! It was a great show though. Steve and others do a wonderful job and I'll return again as soon as I can. Next time I'll be on my own. Too little to interest Tommy, so he won't be here again anytime soon.

Comment

Sorry I missed the show, but I successfully delivered the cop car to Norfolk. It's funny how drivers act differently when you're driving a black & white Police Interceptor down the highway.

It's a bummer that Rick didn't have his locker full of Joes this year. That was the highlight of my last convention! I picked up a really cool blonde foreign head vintage German and a couple of awesome vintage action soldiers, too. I think that box of Joes was legen... dary! Maybe it will be back next year.

They're changing venues next year to a different hotel? Where is the next Kentuckiana going to be held? Inquiring minds want to know!

- ATC

Comment

The new venue is like a convention hall and Steve will be able to have everyone in one room. Literally, it has twice the room and a concession stand. I spoke with Steve and he said there are several hotels there within walking distance but he has not gotten the room quotes back yet so the hotel hasn't been announced yet. I'll keep you posted. I will say, I will miss the Hilton where the previous show was because the Cracker Barrel was across the parking lot. Best food at a show ever!
                          - Scott
                          PH and Proud
                          Bulletmann - Hyatta

Comment

Hopefully the new venue will have restaurants nearby for confabbing and whatnot.
                            If there are several hotels there, it's a good bet!
                            :-)
                            - ATC

Comment

Working...
                            X