• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP to original Trenches member

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP to original Trenches member

Attention to the old guard AOL Trenchers: I have not confirmed it yet but was told last week that John (GI Trooper) Medeiros has passed away. I have been trying to find him for years and did actually reach out to him on Etsy awhile back. But that email has fell silent. Granted I have not found anything relating to an obituary online, but have been told by two other collectors he has crossed over to a better place. This is a sad time to be a Joe collector. The guy was truly one of the best I have met in the hobby. If you ever met him you were in awe of his knowledge and in love with his smile. The guy helped me tremendously in the hobby and introduced me to some of the finest folks in the hobby. Loved him like a brother, still do. Would have loved to have paid our respects. RIP Trooper, you were the best this hobby had to offer.

Met John at the San Antonio convention and he invited us to sit with him at the banquet. At our table was Char and I, John, John Sullivan (KB Toys exec), Cathy and Denny Jones, and Kurt Groen (Hasbro) and his wife. I still have the Cuban cigar Kurt gave me. From there John later introduced me to Linda Lum (Dreams and Visions) and from there the AP was born.

I could go on, but will only say, had I not met John, I would not have near the friends in the hobby I do today. I am proud to say I own three of his childhood Joes, They will forever be special.
    - Scott
    PH and Proud
    Bulletmann - Hyatta
    See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Was he the one who was writing the story involving the Trenchers back in the AOL days? Never had the chance to meet him in person, but talked with him on the old AOL Trenches board and in those awesome Sunday night chat rooms. Another great Trencher who will be missed by all.
    I remember he did an interview in White's Guide to Collecting Figures back in the mid 90's. I remember paging through it and seeing the interview and saying to myself, " I know that guy!" I have the issue somewhere. I need to find it.
    The Joe Collecting "Geek".
    Visit my online art store for some cool art prints:
    www.etsy.com/shop/geekdragonart
    Also follow me on Twitch for some video game goodness at:
    www.twitch.tv/miketheretrogamer
    Want to see my collection? Check out my Instagram:
    www.instagram.com/miketheretrogamer
    Want to see my new art? Check out:
    www.instagram.com/geekdragonart

Comment

Yes, John was very active in writing and preserving the history of Joe. I remember once I called him when he was selling off his Joes. He assured me that once he purged his collection, he would rebuild. He truly enjoyed the thrill of the hunt.

Last time we were together was the Norfolk Convention. Ironically he helped us decorate the booth with Band of Brothers props and figures he and I had made. Keith Zang shared the booth with us and peddled his helmets. Now they are both gone. Sad.
      - Scott
      PH and Proud
      Bulletmann - Hyatta
      See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

R.I.P. GI Trooper.
        :-)

ATC

Comment

Although I didn't know him, I still feel saddened learning of his passing.I remember hearing about Zang years ago.
          The ironic thing is, I was paging through a long lost repair tutorial tonite, and saw GITroopers name. I thought to myself "I know that name'".
          That kinda stuff weirds me out.
          Here's prayers for his family.
          Scott, do you know if there will be a memorial?
          If so, let me know, 'cause I would like to remember him in some fashion.
          Camo
          Last edited by camojoe; 07-19-2023, 03:13 AM.

Comment

John was a one of kind person in my opinion. Said to hear this for sure. I probably have stories from years gone by with him, but darn it's sad to hear. Met him originally on the AOL forums... wow such a long time ago.

It made me think of a thing I had on one of my websites years ago. It was a Toys of Christmas past. People would just recount some stores of their past. I just pulled it up to see if John had left one on there, but didn't see his name listed. In case anyone wants to read them, here's the link.
            Defending the Universe and Backyards since 1966
            Danny(Drquest)
            Captain Action HQ
            Custom Shirts

Comment

That was a fun read, Danny!
              The Sandbox was fun back in the day, too. There was even one of those Sandbox logos stuck to the bottom of Saddam Hussein's throne in Baghdad.
              Glad Scott stood up the Trenches or there would be a Website Wasteland for JoeHead meeting places!
              - ATC
              http://gijoe.50megs.com/

Comment

Working...
              X