• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hear voices....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hear voices....

I was sitting here browsing online for different joe sets, and a question suddenly occurred...Maybe a dumb question, I dunno...But was there a real voice used to record the voice for the original talking GI Joes?...

From John Michlig's GI JOE: THE COMPLETE STORY OF AMERICA'S FAVORITE MAN OF ACTION:

"
    After weeks of listening to audition tapes, a local DJ named King Arthur Knight was selected to create a soundtrack of appropriate-and, after some long hours, inappropriate-phrases for GI Joe to speak."

http://www.fullyarticulated.com/page...ge74/styled-3/

Comment

Originally posted by Joe90 View Post
      From John Michlig's GI JOE: THE COMPLETE STORY OF AMERICA'S FAVORITE MAN OF ACTION:

"
      After weeks of listening to audition tapes, a local DJ named King Arthur Knight was selected to create a soundtrack of appropriate-and, after some long hours, inappropriate-phrases for GI Joe to speak."

http://www.fullyarticulated.com/page...ge74/styled-3/
      Huh, interesting little read...Thanks Joe90...

Comment

Check the asterisk in that story... It's recently learned that the recollection of Hasbro's Sam Speers was faulty (King Arthur Knight actually voiced follow-up versions), and the actual voice of GI Joe for the very first "Talkers" was Bill Corsair, a disc jockey at WICE-AM radio. Soon after the gig, Corsair's National Guard unit was called to serve in Vietnam. Corsair remembers being paid $100 for the GI Joe session, which he also engineered.

Among other honors, Bill Corsair was awarded for his tour of duty the Bronze Star with Oak Leaf Cluster, the Combat Air Medal, and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry while serving with the First Air Cavalry

Comment

Originally posted by ATC View Post
          Check the asterisk in that story... It's recently learned that the recollection of Hasbro's Sam Speers was faulty (King Arthur Knight actually voiced follow-up versions), and the actual voice of GI Joe for the very first "Talkers" was Bill Corsair, a disc jockey at WICE-AM radio. Soon after the gig, Corsair's National Guard unit was called to serve in Vietnam. Corsair remembers being paid $100 for the GI Joe session, which he also engineered.

Among other honors, Bill Corsair was awarded for his tour of duty the Bronze Star with Oak Leaf Cluster, the Combat Air Medal, and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry while serving with the First Air Cavalry
          It would be so cool to find a youtube vid or something showing this guy actually doing the voices that were later used for the figures...

Comment

Working...
          X