• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inspiration for the AT helicopter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspiration for the AT helicopter

I was googling pictures of random stuff, and one thing was the little Hughes copter from Jaws 2 that gets taken under...And I got to wondering if part of the inspiration for the design of the Joe copter came from this little Hughes....And if not, does anyone have any ideas on how they came up with the design?....

Well, it was the early 1970s, so it was probably influenced by the Bell helicopters that were used by the Army (and Batman). Here's a pic of the 2-seat Bell design that Hasbro probably used as a guide, downsizing it (to save size and money) to fit just one figure.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkatPoP View Post
      Well, it was the early 1970s, so it was probably influenced by the Bell helicopters that were used by the Army (and Batman). Here's a pic of the 2-seat Bell design that Hasbro probably used as a guide, downsizing it (to save size and money) to fit just one figure.

True, the tail section on the Joe copter definately resembles the Bell more...But canopy and size wise, I was thinking something more like this.....If you took the Bell tail and married it to the cockpit on the Hughes...Shortened of course.....

1543 by Matthew Peregoy, on Flickr

I dunno...I was just curious where some of the inspiration for the design of some of the joe vehicles came from...

Comment

• MarkatPoP
        MarkatPoP commented
        Editing a comment
        That does look pretty close!

Click image for larger version

Name:	irwinhelicopter2-lg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	794Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (50).jpg
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	795

The Irwin model was inspired by the real life Hiller Hornet.

Comment

Originally posted by angelo7 View Post
        Click image for larger version

Name:	irwinhelicopter2-lg.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	794Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (50).jpg
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	795

The Irwin model was inspired by the real life Hiller Hornet.

Wow, that I did not know...It's an exact replica...

Comment

Working...
        X