• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repairing damaged faces

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's one of my 'Joes (Action Man, actually) with battle scars.

I left him the way he was.

Comment

ATC,

The holes don't look too bad, they're battle scars from a past time and can be classed as a badge of honour. If they bother you too much then you could try heating up a small soldering iron (not too hot, just enough to melt the vinyl) and gently draw vinyl from each side of the holes to fill them, make sure the soldering iron head is spotlessly clean first.. when the holes are filled in, it will look a bit messy and rough, but this can be smoothed up with fine 'Wet & Dry' rubbing paper (1200 grit, or near).. The final gentle rubbing should be done with blunted 'Wet & Dry' paper (use two pieces against each other to blunt before use) and use a bit of water with the final buffing up, try match the sheen from the rest of the face. The rubbing paper can be torn into small strips and shaped accordingly when using it.

Good luck.
      Fall in A, fall in B, fall in all the company!

Comment

Thanks, all, for the hints and tips. I cleaned this guy up again and again with oxy 10 acne cleansing wash. I think he came out better, although far from perfect. I think I'm going to leave him as-is because it doesn't look nearly as bad as it did before he got super cleaned.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180812_182347267~2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1516

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180812_182336781~2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1517
        I still need to rINSE some of that oxy 10 out of his hair, but it's a satisfactory improvement.
        - ATC

Comment

If you haven't done anything yet, I suggest this product right here to fill the holes - http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/cnt...e-Adhesive.htm

It dries clear, and a drop should fill the holes nicely. Clean the area thoroughly with soap and water, allow it to dry completely, then apply the adhesive.. Any excess can be wiped off with a cloth before it dries, leaving a nice, smooth repair. After the adhesive has fully set, you can paint over it with acrylic paint. If you want to make sure the paint is as close to the original face color as possible, paint a piece of uncolored glass, then turn it over and look at the color from the other side. That will show you how the paint will look when dried. On such small areas, the match doesn't have to be exact, as it will blend into the overall color of the face from a distance of more than a few inches.

Good luck, and post pics of your final repair.

Comment

• ATC
            ATC commented
            Editing a comment
            Great tips! Thanks!

@ ATC photos,

The figure looks good to go for some backyard photo fun. To me, it appears that most vintage Joes and Action Man figures have their own unique face and all different than the next ( that's if you look hard enough).
          Fall in A, fall in B, fall in all the company!

Comment

The old trick of rebuilding a worn off nose with superglue might work well. Superglue dries clear and it easy to make matte with fine sandpaper, which causes it to look like the surrounding vinyl color. It may make the holes go away with the least amount of work. If it doesn't look good enough, it won't be hard to pic the hardened superglue out.

Otherwise, mix the appropriate color in water based acrylic paint and dab it is. These holes are small and won't take much to make invisible.

Before you do anything, clean the holes with a sharp toothpick and alcohol to get any grease or dirt out.

Comment

Originally posted by Gforce121262@yahoo.com View Post
              Or mix E- 6000 Adhesive with Modge Podge Glue and Sealer.

option mix Acrylic Paint flesh Color wi h
              2 Part Epoxy Adhesive .
              Why are you suggesting mixing water based products with chemically curing products? The epoxy or E-6000 will just trap the water in the Modge Podge or acrylic paint and prevent that from drying.

Comment

I am not mixing it with E- 6000 I am suggesting
                2 part Epoxy.
                E-6000 mix with Modge Podge act like Plastic when cured that can be used to fill the Holes

Comment

I know about the Super Glue trick.
                  I this believe if your going repair Vinyl .
                  use Vinyl Adhesive

Comment

I am not mixing it with E- 6000 I am suggesting
                    2 part Epoxy.
                    E-6000 mix with Modge Podge act like Plastic when cured that can be used to fill the Holes
                    You are suggesting mixing water (Modge Podge, acrylic paint), with resinous materials like epoxy or E-6000.

Modge podge cures correctly by allowing the water to evaporate. It can't if it is mixed into a waterproof glue like epoxy or E-6000.

Epoxy cures correctly by a chemical reaction. Droplets of acrylic paint water just interferes with that.

You're making mud by mixing substances that can't cure properly together. It's like baking a cake with silicone caulk in the mix.

Comment

No E_6000 and Modge Podge togethere mix become like Plastic use as Filler .OR
                      Epoxy and Acrylic Flesh Colored Paint MIX TOGETHERE as alternate FILLLER.
                      You can paint over the------- Modge Podge / E- 6000 after it Cures or this use Vinyl Adhesive .
                      it more flexiable than Suoer glue and Slightly softer, can still be sanded. or trimmed.

Comment

No E_6000 and Modge Podge togethere mix become like Plastic use as Filler .OR
                        Epoxy and Acrylic Flesh Colored Paint MIX TOGETHERE as alternate FILLLER.
                        You can paint over the------- Modge Podge / E- 6000 after it Cures or this use Vinyl Adhesive .
                        it more flexiable than Suoer glue and Slightly softer, can still be sanded. or trimmed.
                        Yup, you are mixing together WATER BASED acrylic paint with CHEMICALLY CURING epoxy, and that makes no sense. It might make something that seems to work, but it is unlikely to be stable because you mixed WATER with EPOXY.

Comment

No it works ratio is 1

Comment

No it works the ratio is 1:10 it also works on resin you can try it you can goggle it but it works both can certainly

Comment

You thin both with achohal if you like

Comment

Working...
                              X