• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing vintage flocking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing vintage flocking

I suspect there are lots of different ways to remove vintage hair flocking. What method do you use, and why?

I've always used oven cleaner. It breaks down the glue nicely, and it's thick consistency is easy to control.

Comment

I usually soak them over night in alcohol. Works very well on vintage glues and on water based glue. After market glues like gorilla glue are a bit more stubborn, but worth it in the end.

Usually scrape and peel with an exacto knife. Once the flocking is done I scrub the head with soft scrub with bleach and a tooth brush.

Then you have a nice clean surface to repaint the brows or touch up areas with paint before flocking.

Same goes for Eagle Eye heads but you may need to use canned air to blow the excess alcohol or water out after cleaning. Moisture and flocking don't mix so well. You will end up flocking his eyes. Sure it just blows off with canned air, but man it looks creepy!
      - Scott
      PH and Proud
      Bulletmann - Hyatta
      See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

?? I soaked it for 2 days in plain old water. That softened up the glue enough for me to scrape most of the flocking off with a blunt fingernail. I soaked the head in a solution of 1/3 alcohol 2/3 water for about an hour last night, and that let me scrape the rest off. It seemed to work fine! Ready for flocking!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20181208_114411390~2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	44.1 KB ID:	2174

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181208_113124486~2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	2177
        Last edited by ATC; 12-08-2018, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X