• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GI Joe Collector's Club Black and White edition Joes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GI Joe Collector's Club Black and White edition Joes

Has anyone checked out what appears to be the final 12" exclusives from the Club, the Black and White editions? $90.00 a piece plus shipping seems a bit pricey to me. I'm really going to have think through spending $360.00 + shipping for four modern figures. That would buy a good amount of vintage Joe stuff.
    Later,
    --Mark
    "Only GI Joe is GI Joe"

I would like to buy at least one.
    Last edited by angelo7; 03-30-2018, 09:18 PM.

Comment

I thought that the Black and Whites were supposed to be the final membership figures. Extra figures are always offered seperately. Same goes for the add- on sets.

Comment

I'm a member, so I'll be getting the "free" one, which is the soldier, because only his accessory set is available separately.

The Sailor, Marine, and Pilot are available complete but separately.

I've arranged it with my family that I'll be getting the accessory set for the soldier, and either the Pilot or the Marine.

I'm not interested in the Sailor, as I've got a bad history with the Joe Wetsuits (I broke Dad's 40th Joe while dressing him (the Joe) in the Wetsuit.

I've actually got a fabulous neoprene wetsuit from Brazil that works wonderfully.

Comment

I most likely will get the set. It does seem pricey but import prices have went up recently so I imagine that may have a lot to do with it. I was not overly thrilled with the idea of these but the execution was amazing. From what Brian has told me, the images of the black and white figures seen in publications and on line are actually color photos. That is amazing to me. I am not a new Joe fan and have not bought a modern Joe since the add on set to Drive into Danger. This is Brian's last, and most likely my last purchase from the club.
          - Scott
          PH and Proud
          Bulletmann - Hyatta
          See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

Like AY, I'm getting the 'free' basic figure, so I'll get the soldier kit to complete him, and the Marine set. That's enough for me. I still don't like their pricing, regardless of limited numbers, whatever.

Comment

Not keen on the B&W figure at all. I'll probably just use mine as a zombie.

Comment

Interesting concept but I will pass I think.

Comment

I think I'll touch mine up a bit. From the AM forums I'm a member of, I've learned to paint my figures' faces.

For a proper black and white transition, the scar and lips need to be darker than the skintone, instead of lighter. So I'll mix up a grey for that.

I'll also fill out the eyebrows a little more, the rapier thin ones aren't doing it for me.

Also, personally, since its supposed to be "as seen on the first TV ads," I'll be giving my guy(s) the "racoon eyes" so as to better reflect those early commercials.

Comment

Got mine in the mail today.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180411_164715257~2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	528 I I wasn't keen on this one, but the instant I saw it, I realized he'd make a great non-human First Officer for my space ship crew!

Comment

Originally posted by ATC View Post
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180411_164715257~2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	528 I I wasn't keen on this one, but the instant I saw it, I realized he'd make a great non-human First Officer for my space ship crew!
                        Nice, I think a glittery cape would make the character look even more cool and like a 1950's B movie space baddie.
                        Fall in A, fall in B, fall in all the company!

Comment

I just received my freebie from the Club, it's a basic vintage style figure with white boxers on which the G.I. Joe logo is printed in black. There are only 2 issues I have with it, 1 being the use of the 40th Anniversary head with the tiny "piggy" eyes, the other being that the lips and scar are painted much lighter than the skin tone of the head. Those are both things that can be fixed with a little patience and acrylic paint. Once the accessory set arrives, I'll post some pics of Joe all kitted out, and then again after I fix the paint. My daughter is absolutely fascinated with him, and refers to him as "Alien Joe" or "Roswell Joe". I may just have to order one for her to customize. Cotswold has a metric ton of stuff under the Captain Cosmos and LoucoPorBonecos tabs that would make a great Sci-Fi B movie alien as amwic suggested. Coincidentally, we're building a flying saucer for Joe from a couple of the cheap plastic "saucer sleds" we got on sale at a discount store.

In any event, aside from the head choice, I think this is a pretty darned good figure, and not a bad idea for the Club's final hurrah.
                          Last edited by KneonKnight; 04-16-2018, 08:21 PM. Reason: Edit: Accessories just arrived today, and look fantastic given the overall theme. Unfortunately, the weather is absolutely beastly today, and to make matters worse, I received two left boots. Karen

Comment

@ KneonKnight, a flying saucer would be really cool!

Here's something i did a while back:

The glass helmet dome below is a 1:1 scale shaving foam pop off lid lol!

Last edited by amwic; 04-12-2018, 11:54 PM.
                            Fall in A, fall in B, fall in all the company!

Comment

Originally posted by KneonKnight View Post
                              There are only 2 issues I have with it, 1 being the use of the 40th Anniversary head with the tiny "piggy" eyes.
                              Except it's not, as far as I can tell from the pictures, as I've not received mine yet.

At any rate, it looks to be the same Masterpiece Edition/Timeless-esque offshoot that the Club has always used.

Comment

Working...
                            X