• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Special Project for my Son

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Project for my Son

I'm recently a father, and I want to carry the hobby on in my son, of course. But with the lack of GI Joe product on the market, he is unlikely to experience the 'new in box' awe after unwrapping a gift.

Or can he...

I plan to make my own line of figures that'll riff on the Adventure Team, The Losers, Challengers of the Unknown, and Hasbro's The Defenders.

I would like the figures to have their own logo and custom boxes, and a line of accessories to go with.

I rather like the look of these Geyperman Basic figures, and may adopt the look. I like the boxes in that I wouldn't need to make a lot of box art like if I chose a GI Joe/AT style box.

One idea is to use a few of the Cotswold Original Headsculpts, but am not 100% on board with it. May just go for a buncha Jakes that I paint myself.

I've got a few years to complete this project, as he is 4 days old as of this posting. But I hope to post semi-regular updates.

I am also open to suggestions and other ideas.

Great idea! I would love to watch this project as it progresses!

Comment

I too would like to see how this project progresses.

Comment

First update:

Got his mother on board with the idea. I think that may have been the hardest hurdle.

She doesn't completely understand why, but she likes the notion and the idea.

I wonder how much box art she'd be willing to make...

Comment

Second update:

I've been saving pictures from the internet that should serve inspiration for both that accessory sets, and the box art.

Varied in subject matter and character ethnicity, I don't want Rowan to have narrow worldview. He can have sets like Navy SEAL, Spelunking Gear, Secret Agent, County Sheriff, and Peace Corps Carpenter, among others. Promoting a healthy mix of military and adventure.
          Last edited by ActionYankee; 02-07-2021, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Trying to figure out a name for "my" action figure line is a little tricky. Nothing I'm 100% sold on yet.

I thought of:

Action Group,
            Action Brigade

Dal thought of Action Pack. Which sounds pretty good, if a little cheesy, but no cheesier than mine.Dal thought of Action Pack, which sounds like a pretty good knock-off brand, if a little cheesy. But it isn't cheesier than either of mine.

Suggestions?
            Last edited by ActionYankee; 02-08-2021, 12:48 AM.

Comment

I kinda like Action Brigade.

How about Elite Squad?
              Elite Group?
              Action Elite?
              G.I. Joe Elite?

I don't know if you find those cheesy, but considering you mentioned using Cotswold figures, I thought Elite might work in the name.

Daryl

Comment

How about incorporating your son's name? Like "Bobby's Brigade" or "Robert's Raiders" or "Tommy's Troops" or Andy's Adventurers?"

Comment

A fellow on AMMO suggested "Operation: Action," and I've been running with that.

It has a European Joe-licence kinda vibe to it.

Comment

Operation: Action is a cool idea.

But I like Action Brigade better.

I was thinking along the lines of ATC, using his name. But I didn't think of a good combination.

Maybe Rowan's Brigade? Or Rowan's Troopers?

And there is always your username, Action Yankee. It gives a Action Man/GI Joe vibe. Kind of international.

Daryl

Comment

I missed that his name was rowan. Rowan's Rangers? Task Force Rowan?

Comment

How about Rowan's Heroes?

Comment

I'm also really struck by the use of my screen name. Individual enough to been seen as a single identity, but could also be used by a group.

The only thing is it makes 'International' uniforms (British SAS, etc) hard to explain with the Yankee moniker.

I don't know why I dislike names that utilize my son's name. Perhaps because GI Joe is pretty general, and if his toys are named after him, they wouldn't have that generality.

I'm nit-picking, I know.

But now I know how the Hasbro group must've felt in the early 60's trying to name our favorite action figure.

Perhaps I should watch more Bob Mitchum movies.
                          Last edited by ActionYankee; 02-17-2021, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionYankee View Post
                            I don't know why I dislike names that utilize my son's name. Perhaps because GI Joe is pretty general, and if his toys are named after him, they wouldn't have that generality.

I'm nit-picking, I know.

But now I know how the Hasbro group must've felt in the early 60's trying to name our favorite action figure.

I can understand you're wanting the generality, and I don't think you are nit-picking. You are working on a project out of love for your son, so you want it to be perfect.
                            I can completely understand that, even though I don't have any children of my own.

As far as the G.I. Joe name, I once heard it came from the movie The Story of G.I. Joe. I finally got a chance to see it a few months ago. It's about Ernie Pyle, a journalist well known
                            among the troops in WWII since he traveled with them and wrote about them. Way back when there was a comic book called G.I. Joe. I think it was a term to generally refer to troops
                            in the war.

I think the comic books were done in the 1940's, the movie was in the '50's. It stars a young Burgess Meredith, better known as the Penguin from the '60's Batman series. Don Levine,
                            the creator of Joe, served in Korea.

I'm sorry, I guess you didn't want to hear the trivia.

Daryl

Comment

My Bob Mitchum joke at the end was a reference to 'The Story of GI Joe.'

Comment

Working...
                              X