• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Casting heads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casting heads

Anyone cast Joe heads?

I might get into that for the benefit of the project for my son.

I bought some cast hands (white resin) off ebay that are from Marx Johnny West hands (or Ertls). This hand design looks good and is shaped reasonably for use with rigid plastics, and the castings I received were well executed. I imagine they were from silicone molds.

Comment

I'm dumb - read hands not heads.

I have some heads cast by a fellow member. He used a yellow opaque resin with silicone mold material.

I have also experimented with head casting using cheap plaster two part molds and polyester auto body resin. Due to the soft vinyl, the source head came out easily leaving an accurate plaster mold. But I haven't found a substance that prevents the resin from migrating into the bottom of the mold because of curing heat. I would like to try Elmers to seal the plaster prior to the wax mold release, and using a thinish layer of epoxy prior to the resin to prevent the wicking issue. Plaster molds would be one time use.

Long story short, I think you can get excellent results with premium or cheap materials if you solve the problems, and solving them is part of the fun.

BTW, I'd recommend casting the mold with the neck ball in place on the source head and creating the casting with the head and neck as one piece.

Comment

You might be on to something, casting the head and neck together.

A. Saves me the trouble of having to figure out how to make the head accept a cots neck post.

B. Prevents the head from being mistaken for vintage.

Comment

You also get the aesthetic choice of traditional seams and rivets or a smooth one piece look with a cast-in neck.

I'm sanding the hair off one cast head, reshaping the skull to get the best look.
          Last edited by RX-79G; 12-26-2021, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X