• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GI Joe Winterfest 2023

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GI Joe Winterfest 2023

As I mentioned in Dave's post, last weekend was Steve Stovall's second Winterfest Show held in Louisville. We missed last year's show do to a nice layer of ice Mother Nature bestowed on us. But this year the weather held. This was Steve's first show at his new venue. His show was outgrowing the old hotel and their rates were going up so Steve found a better place for the events, The Paroquet Springs Conference Centre. I say events because his annual Kentuckiana Show will also be held at the new location.

The show itself was what you have come to expect from one of Steve's shows. Professionally ran, clean, friendly, and honestly, a strong family feel. We missed early bird as we arrived at 2155 and the early bird ended at 2200. So we had to wait for the next day. The Conference Center is nestled between two large hotels and a bevy of fine eateries, our favorite being a seafood restaurant aptly named "The Fish House". But there are many other places to choose from ranging from Bojangles to a steak house. Its not like having a Cracker Barrel across the street, but close.

The show itself was massive for a winter show. 60+ venders and all with GI Joe product. Not a Funko Pop in sight! There were the usual vintage dealers, Ace, Paul Nordstrom, Derryl DePreist, Steve Stovall, and Ricky Puckett (no trunk) were all there selling some high end as well as affordable vintage goods. There was Marx, Matt Mason and even Aurora models. It was a toy paradise! There were also 3 3/4 Joes and Marauder was there selling their 3 3/4 line which I am becoming a big fan of. Stovall was able to debut his reproduction Super Joe line that will soon be available at Cotswold. These figures are nice and very affordable at $35 a piece. I picked up a couple will be grabbing more for a little man I knows Christmas present. Best part is these figures have been re-engineered so they won't disintegrate over time. Sadly no one-two punch.

As I said, I grabbed a nice clean Green Beret uniform, two Takara Joes, two of the Super Joe repos and two of the Marauder WWII figs. I did not use the heads on the Marauder figs as I buy 3 3/4 vintage Joe heads from raginspoon for them.

I apologize for not letting folks know about this show in advance but was not comfortable recommending it and not having been to one. I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone in the future. Only word of advice is to wear comfortable shoes as it is a concrete floor and not carpeted. You'll thank me later.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	327316602_554992983318833_3361380670736096101_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=vQXKJ7v4XHAAX9hMFmA&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.xx&oh=00_AfCtHUZTQjRO1cembe0w0YRybCAPPG6fP_zx6kwsi3NKhA&oe=63E05902.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	5882Click image for larger version

Name:	327324421_874377440497346_6868191905783380780_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=i-BgXATGB6oAX8dZ9zA&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.xx&oh=00_AfC6AfoRDnZg4Y5Qd2ob_zyZ4RsHOVHO1gTP_VsjwswGwQ&oe=63DF790B.jpg
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	5883Click image for larger version

Name:	327417717_1178767399426935_516644092604867138_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=_0NiZ_ONRFIAX__i3iL&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.xx&oh=00_AfCzA3Za3PCEYL0ZqXAT7aHolip99ySMlGHjN0P8Pv107g&oe=63DFF99E.jpg
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	5884Click image for larger version

Name:	327727712_1389104665192801_3525546977098037194_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=KApdu35PUpUAX_VzGy1&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.xx&oh=00_AfDLxr9yx7MB9j45hrriQ25BuI0T9nX_0hkzVYyMOvyORg&oe=63DF0743.jpg
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	5885
    Click image for larger version

Name:	327782937_529886789242375_5199081203589067781_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=05gtmBUO_RcAX8XFURY&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.xx&oh=00_AfCVypdnLqrPPMK5VIgkEqoGjngNW0IQQnNy8gPbg9vCLg&oe=63E0380A.jpg
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	5886
    - Scott
    PH and Proud
    Bulletmann - Hyatta
    See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Nice pickups ! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Awesome pickups. Never heard of this show. May have to check it out one of these days.
      The Joe Collecting "Geek".
      Visit my online art store for some cool art prints:
      www.etsy.com/shop/geekdragonart
      Also follow me on Twitch for some video game goodness at:
      www.twitch.tv/miketheretrogamer
      Want to see my collection? Check out my Instagram:
      www.instagram.com/miketheretrogamer
      Want to see my new art? Check out:
      www.instagram.com/geekdragonart

Comment

Someday I'll go to this show too. That's a fantastic Commander's uniform Scott! Congrats!

Comment

That is a Green Beret uniform, not Commander. Early Japan tag and the waist tabs. One of the nicest ones I have found in awhile.

Geek, this was only Steve's second Winterfest Show. He does the GI Joe Toy Expo in July and it is always a good time. Dave (ATC) and I have both been to this show and it is always fun. It is in a new larger place this year and all in one room. No more ducking in and out of side rooms and missing something. I had never been to this show but apparently the word has gotten out, his door was twice what it was last year. Probably didn't hurt that the weather held off until Monday.

There were a ton of great deals in all sizes and genres of Joe. The new GI Joe Classifieds were going for $10-$15 each. Stupid low prices! I think you would like it.

Here is the official site with details:

https://www.kygijoe.com/index.html
          - Scott
          PH and Proud
          Bulletmann - Hyatta
          See photos of my collection on my Pinterest Page https://www.pinterest.com/scottbeckmann/gi-joe/

Comment

I've been to the July show three times, and will return this year. It's within driving distance and the people are always great.

Comment

Thanks for the info on this!

Had I known a little more in advance I probably would have gone to this show. Heck I might have gotten a table to sell off these boxes of stuff that my wife is tired of seeing in the garage.

Danny(Drquest)
              Captain Action HQ
              Custom Shirts

Comment

Danny someone on the sales floor dropped your name. I was within ear shot but didn't get the jist of the conversation but definitely heard "Danny and Dr Quest from Illinois". So you were there in spirit. BTW, I have a line on a nice Kid Action Robin. How difficult to find the shoes and gloves? (missing one each)
                - Scott
                PH and Proud
                Bulletmann - Hyatta

Comment

Originally posted by GI Defender View Post
                  Danny someone on the sales floor dropped your name. I was within ear shot but didn't get the jist of the conversation but definitely heard "Danny and Dr Quest from Illinois". So you were there in spirit. BTW, I have a line on a nice Kid Action Robin. How difficult to find the shoes and gloves? (missing one each)
                  Well that's funny

Nice to be there in spirit lol

Awesome about your Robin!

Surprisingly not too hard to find those, shoes easier than gloves. I'll check my stash and see if I have any extra Robin stuff, but I think I'm tapped out. Otherwise I'll keep my eyes open for you. Shoes are both the same, but which glove do you need? Wes is making repro gloves I believe, but I would hold out for original ones myself.
                  Danny(Drquest)
                  Captain Action HQ
                  Custom Shirts

Comment

Have not got him yet but will let you know! This is great news. I saw it in a pile that was going to auction and called dibs. The uniform and figure were pristine. Missing the bat-accessories as I recall but I can always find those. I want to get him dressed right first. Still looking for the Superman stuff I asked about, if you ever find it.
                    - Scott
                    PH and Proud
                    Bulletmann - Hyatta

Comment

Hey Scott, that was probably me who mentioned Danny! I was talking to Steve Stovall while you were at his booth and mentioned I had recently picked up an armless muscle body Joe from Danny and was looking for a pair of arms for him.

Danny you should definitely come to the show in July! And bring your excess stuff to sell!
                      Steve

Comment

That is a Green Beret uniform, not Commander. Early Japan tag and the waist tabs. One of the nicest ones I have found in awhile.

Geek, this was only Steve's second Winterfest Show. He does the GI Joe Toy Expo in July and it is always a good time. Dave (ATC) and I have both been to this show and it is always fun. It is in a new larger place this year and all in one room. No more ducking in and out of side rooms and missing something. I had never been to this show but apparently the word has gotten out, his door was twice what it was last year. Probably didn't hurt that the weather held off until Monday.

There were a ton of great deals in all sizes and genres of Joe. The new GI Joe Classifieds were going for $10-$15 each. Stupid low prices! I think you would like it.

Here is the official site with details:

https://www.kygijoe.com/index.html
                        Nice. I will have to look into this show one of these years. Classified's for $10-$15? Wow. Only one's I have seen that cheap have been the one's from the Snake Eyes movie.
                        The Joe Collecting "Geek".
                        Visit my online art store for some cool art prints:
                        www.etsy.com/shop/geekdragonart
                        Also follow me on Twitch for some video game goodness at:
                        www.twitch.tv/miketheretrogamer
                        Want to see my collection? Check out my Instagram:
                        www.instagram.com/miketheretrogamer
                        Want to see my new art? Check out:
                        www.instagram.com/geekdragonart

Comment

Steve, I think it was. LOL, yes I recall the muscle body part now.
                          - Scott
                          PH and Proud
                          Bulletmann - Hyatta

Comment

I'm looking forward to the next one in July!
                            Woo-hoo!
                            - ATC

Comment

We will see you there!
                              - Scott
                              PH and Proud
                              Bulletmann - Hyatta

Comment

Working...
                              X