• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your current project?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    Looks really cool though! Nice job! I won some parts for my MSV last night. Getting a new radar dish, green locking ring, and a couple of satellites. I also will have some parts for the searchlight. Just need a good housing for it now. Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• ATC
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20181112_172539522~2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	126.3 KB ID:	4208 Gee, Myles, after you get that baby all cleaned up, all you will have to do is give it a lift kit and put some real off-road tires on it! ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181112_172501937~2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	4209 It really improves the ground clearance, too! Unfortunately, it kind of ruins the originality... ?
    Last edited by ATC; 06-08-2020, 04:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	89.4 KB ID:	4197Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	91.0 KB ID:	4198
    Last two for today.
    This is how it looks closed.  The doors do not lay flat, and gaps are apparent.  Resulting from the warping of the top thin door. The controls and the launcher.  The ladder is included in the set, but the prongs that attach to the top were warped and don't secure to the top very well.  The original owner put the rubber "foot" of the ladder on the wrong end.  I'll bind it with rubber bands and see if I can warp it back the way it used to be.
    Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 05-31-2020, 03:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	82.3 KB ID:	4191Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	65.8 KB ID:	4192Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	87.7 KB ID:	4193Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	92.9 KB ID:	4194Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	167.1 KB ID:	4195
    Here's the back of the MSV. See photos for comments.
    The trays were washed today, but some black crud is still on one tray and more on the inside wall of the MSV.  The large area is hardened, and may need to be scraped out. Battery compartment has clean, bright leads and contacts.  Should there be contacts on the left? The upper doors are warped.  I'm thinking maybe a hair dryer directed at the inner curve of the door may flatten it?
    Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 05-31-2020, 03:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	4186Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	4187Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	4188Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	4189 MSV Project so far. You can see some closeups here of the "cab" or forward part of the MSV. I've ordered the sticker set from Patches of Pride, which should dress this up considerably. I also have some plastic polish, and am debating whether that will help as is, of whether I need to use sandpaper first. None of the scratches appear very deep.
    Needs new stickers.  Part of loop is broken. Lots of light scratches all over, but overall clear. Both headlight stickers fell off when I gently touched them.

Leave a comment:

• drquest
    replied
    The MSV is a cool vehicle for sure!

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    I started the restoration tonight. First I scrubbed almost all of the flat surfaces with a baby wipe. It worked like magic! All of the dirt came off, except for a greasy streak under where the drawers are. The windshield is actually much clearer and less scratched in person than the photo suggests. This MSV has the chair included. The front seats are arriving tomorrow. I'm still trying to find the connector piece, the green radar and the searchlight. I'll also remove some of the stickers. Most are damaged or discolored. I can get new ones from patches of pride. But once the seats arrive, I'll at least have a seat for two of the AT members. This is the first time I've even touched one of these babies. It's a cool hunk of junk, and I would love it if the batteries worked. The battery compartment had a cobweb inside, but it's very clean, and the leads are still shiny and wires still in good shape and attached. I haven't tried yet, however since I got it from an antique store, who knows? There are also some minor breaks. The rectangular green piece in the center console of the cab literally fell in two pieces when I started to lift it - but I have both pieces, so I can glue them together. And the yellow plastic "ring" where the post from the rear van section attaches seems to have a broken side to the "loop." However I don't think it impairs anything, and it is barely noticeable. For $57 plus shipping, I'm very pleased.

Also in the box (not the MSV box ) was a vintage sailor hat, a dress shoe, and a white vinyl belt with a gold buckle I don't recognize. I'll probably post a pic of the belt at the Facebook site to see if anyone knows who it goes with. Cheers!
    Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 05-30-2020, 05:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GeekDragon
    replied
    Nice. The MSV is one of my grail pieces. Can't wait to see it brought back to life.

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	1 Size:	100.2 KB ID:	4176Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 (7).jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.8 KB ID:	4177Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 (2).jpg Views:	1 Size:	133.7 KB ID:	4178Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	98.0 KB ID:	4179
    I won an Adventure Team MSV last night on Ebay. It needs some deep cleaning, the radar, searchlight, two front seats and both of the "satelights" (the black wheel projectiles). Maybe other things too. I'm looking forward to its arrival and to cleaning it up and installing the "new" seats someday soon. Should be a fun project.
    Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 05-26-2020, 05:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    I scored another Action Sailor uniform a little over a week ago. It's one of the ones with two pockets, and the trousers are really heavy denim with pockets. One of the work shirt pockets is partially detached, but doesn't show, and there is a top snap missing. The trousers are fine. So I'll have a fourth Action Sailor in dungarees. 4 of those, and 4 of the crackerjacks. Should be pretty sharp! I'll post some pics soon. I've been behind on a lot of stuff. Been very busy lately.

Leave a comment:

• GeekDragon
    replied
    Looking good. Keep it up.

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	48.8 KB ID:	4148

This week I finished the new Action Sailor in dungarees. Here he is. I also (today) went through my parts bin. I realized that now that I have two complete sets of feet, that I could probably build two new Joes completely out of the parts. So I did that this afternoon. I am in the process of finding heads for both, and then I will finish and post the pics up here for anyone interested.

One of the "new" figures needs restringing, and I also have at least two other figures which need to be restrung. One is a figure I just got from Ebay who looks great except for a mashed ball joint in his left hip. I have the extra ball joint, but will need to restring him to put it in place. So today I ordered 4 new "Oh No Floppy Joe! Restring Kits from Marshall Made Collectibles. My preferred stop for restringing the legs and head. I still like the Cots restring kits for restringing arms. So I keep both on hand. I also have acquired a few new tools, including a few of the ones I keep seeing in Toy Tinker Tim's great restoration videos. I'm hoping to keep improving my skills in the repair and restoration of Gi Joe and his equipment and accessories. I do think for AT figures though, I'll keep leaving the reflocking to the experts.

I don't see much activity here these days, so if you like what I'm posting, do me a favor and hit "like". Then I'll know to continue. I have several more projects in various stages of completion. When I've got some of them done, I'll post more photos. One I have mostly finished is the Troubleshooter vehicle. It has repro antennas but the rest is vintage.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 05-10-2020, 06:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    Well I'm gearing up to do some more restorations. I have a headless patent pending body which has nice painted rivets, and I just purchased a blond PH head from Ebay. So that will make a new Action Sailor. I think I'll put him in dungarees, with the mint sailor shirt I traded for. That will make a total of 3 Sailors in working uniforms. I also purchased two more AT Commander arms from Ebay, and they will be used (or parts will be used) to finish restoration of one or two Commanders I have which are in need of several repairs - including to the talking functions. One of them just needs a 50 year old knot in the talker sting untied and smoothed, and then that one may talk fine. I'll post some pics if I can get some of these done soon. I will be starting a week of vacation on Friday, so maybe I'll have time to wrap one or two of these up. Hope so. Stay tuned!

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    Yesterday I decided to go through all of the vintage Joes I have which aren't currently being displayed. I laid them all out on the bed, and then replaced the KFG hands on two of them. Then I took photos of all of them for some online files I've been building. I'll use the photos to keep track of what I've got, and which box they are in, as well as try to match them up with the Ebay photos of them at the time of purchase. My goal is to decide when I have enough Joes to fill all the uniforms I've accumulated for them. For AT figures, it going to be mostly 1 of each uniform type (from the AT sets). I'll also keep a few of the original AT members in their normal uniforms. The military figures I've got will eventually number 4 Shore Patrol Sailors, and 3 Action Sailors - some in Navy Attack garb. I also plan to have two complete Green Berets, 1 Army MP, and a couple of Marine Dress Parade Joes, plus some Joes in fatigues and in beachhead assault gear. In other words, it's not a huge collection. I plan to keep it that way. The Joes I counted in the boxes yesterday numbered 27. Finished an inventory this evening, and I have a grand total of 70 vintage Joes. 24 PH figures, and 46 Adventure Team Joes. Guess you can see where the emphasis is in my collection!
    Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 04-27-2020, 01:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	92.2 KB ID:	4114Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	96.6 KB ID:	4115Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	138.4 KB ID:	4116 Just got back 6 heads from Ray at Flock Concepts. This is the second and possibly last group for a while to be reflocked. They all really needed it. So now they are all reunited with their bodies. All are original to the figures, except the gray one. He was from a large lot I bought some time ago. No body came with the lot. But I found one for him. His face was all carved up - but I could tell he was a Land Adventurer. Some kid(s) tried to "shave" him possibly to make him a Man of Action. So now he at least has his original hairline restored. But the experience has turned him grey. I think he'll be the shopkeeper for the new GI Joe Dive Shop I plan to build. He looks pretty salty! I'm also going to need to tighten up some of the arm joints, which are really floppy on one or two figures. And I plan to replace the old discolored KFG hands with the new Geyperman hands from Cotswold. They just look a whole lot better. None of these guys came with any uniforms or equipment. So I'm still in the process of getting them outfitted.
    Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 04-21-2020, 06:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X