• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your current project?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATC
    started a topic What's your current project?

What's your current project?

I suspect lots of Joe heads are working on projects. What's yours?

I'm currently working on:
    - M5 kangaroo (Stuart that I can easily convert into a kangaroo recon vehicle, and back again),
    - Joe Rocketship (4 decks, retro 50s sci fi type) 22" in diameter and 6' tall. Planning is done, now I need to execute. Been waiting for warm enough weather to work on it in my pole barn. I was stymied for years, looking for a nose cone. Finally found the solution! If I get the shell done this summer, I can work on the interior next winter. No rush. It's a hobby!

What are YOU working on?

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_1411.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.9 KB ID:	6278

Drquest is a great Joe! I got the Mike Power body (and extra goodies) today and am using most of it. I'll use the pelvis. ball joints and the entire right leg and foot. The left thigh was the focus of my work today. I hammered out the knee pin and removed the Mike Power silver knee peg. I'll probably use a cots knee peg but I salvaged a vintage peg from a broken thigh I had. So thanks to Drquest this Joe will be good as new! Pics to follow!
    Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 01-25-2024, 02:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• drquest
    replied
    Good deal! You can have this for cost of postage. Send me a PM with your address.

Danny

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    That would help a lot!

Leave a comment:

• drquest
    replied
    Ok, I found this if it would be useful. It's a Mike Powers body, the left foot is a painted rivet so didn't come with this body obviously.

Leave a comment:

• drquest
    replied
    That is an odd thing to do for sure. I've seen my share of tortured Joes, so who knows?

I'm sure I have some thighs/legs hanging around. I'll take a look.

Leave a comment:

• GI Defender
    replied
    Will gladly take the hand off your hands. . .if that is a thing. LOL Only reason I would say the tops were shaved off was to make a shorter figure maybe? In all my years I have never seen this type of problem. Thinking kid modification.

Leave a comment:

• ATC
    replied
    The top of the thighs must be cracked, because I can't think of a reason why anybody would want to carve them that way! I can't imagine anybody doing such a bad job, either! Maybe the plastic just got brittle over time and cracked. I've never seen damage like that before. Interesting.
    ATC

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_1406.jpg Views:	1 Size:	35.2 KB ID:	6259 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_1408.jpg Views:	1 Size:	33.8 KB ID:	6260 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_1409.jpg Views:	1 Size:	70.2 KB ID:	6261

Here you can see the problem with the thighs, and where they have either crumbled or been carved. I'll need at least a replacement right thigh for Joe to stand properly.
    Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 01-15-2024, 06:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    Thanks for looking Scott! I unfortunately found that the KFG forearms did not fit on the "new" upper arms I purchased. So I'm using the entire arms instead of trying the KFG hands. That said, I do have one AT left hand still in my stash. You're welcome to it. Let me know if you want it now or at the Kentuckiana show and I'll be happy to put it in your hand : ) .

Leave a comment:

• GI Defender
    replied
    I checked my stash, all my spare feet are lefts. I would be interested in the hard hands if you wanna part with them.

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    I realized I sold all or most of my spare parts. Thinking I was done buying broken Joes. Oh well! So I've decided to keep as much of this Joe's body as possible. Tonight I rejoined the head, body and legs. I kept the pelvis and ball joints, and both thighs. The calves were both replaced, along with a new left foot. I lost my wire tool I used for restringing, and need to make another one before stringing the arms in place. I knocked the broken pegs out of one forearm and one calf, and didn't crack either one. So this Joe will remain a KFG Joe. I put new KFG hands on the forearms tonight. So later this evening I hope to reshape another restringing tool form a coat hanger, and then string the arms in place. I still am missing a right foot, and even Cotswold doesn't have them in stock. So I will look for one on the Trenches FB page, and failing that will hope to find one at the Kentuckiana show. Once this Joe is re-outfitted I will post photos of the finished Team member.

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    Joe arrived today from North Carolina. This one is in the worst condition I've ever found. The plastic on the thighs and calves is brittle. I tried removing a chewed up foot, and a large piece of the calf broke off in my hand. So now I'm not sure I want to keep him as a KFG figure. The hammering out of pegs to save the lower arms probably would shatter the plastic, and one lower arm already has a large crack in it. So I'll replace the two yellowed ball joints, the pelvis (yellowed and cracked), both entire arms, the left lower leg that broke, and the right thigh. It had a large gouge carved from the inner side, which likely was a kid "repair" to hide a thigh crack. I'll have a go at the forearms but expect them to break while working with them. I don't think I have any arctic gear in my inventory that isn't already being used. So I'll find some other cold weather clothing for Joe. Maybe just a nice sweater and pants. We'll see.

Leave a comment:

• ATC
    replied
    Funny. Hope you don't get dumped on too badly! Around here they're hardly predicting a trace of snow. Lots of wind and low temperatures, though! Good luck with your Arctic explorer project!
    - ATC

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20240111_155902.jpg Views:	1 Size:	132.5 KB ID:	6249

The new project Joe, the beat up Land Adventurer is supposed to arrive tomorrow. For those in the upper midwest, we're expecting 10 inches of snow. If the reports are accurate and if he is delivered tomorrow, I will outfit him as an Arctic Explorer with parka, snow pants and snow boots. Unless I change my mind. If he makes it through the snow he's a hardy Northerner, and deserves special clothing and assignment. The replacement arms arrived today.
    Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 01-11-2024, 10:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X