• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your current project?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some years ago I ordered a vintage right forearm for a Joe I had from Cotswold. The hole was smaller than the pegs on the figure! I don't know if some shrink a bit over time, or what.
    I also ordered a set of hard hands from them at another time, they came with teflon tape wrapped around the peg. So maybe some were made with different sizes?

You can try to put some teflon tape on the peg of the hand that slides in an out. Once you get the right thickness, it should fit right and stay in.

Daryl
    Last edited by TNshooter; 12-22-2020, 05:18 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	4675

This guy arrived in the mail yesterday. He has very nice hair, with no rubs, but a couple of small marks on the face. He has an intact pull-string, which extends fully but then retracts instantly and with no sound. Also, he's got floppy hips (needs restring) and a broken right arm. Looking inside the chest cavity, the first problem appears to be either a missing or damaged speaker - so that will be the first order of business, after replacing the broken upper arm/shoulder. I wonder whether the tape is still attached inside. Should be interesting.

Comment

• There's been a lot of activity on the forums since Christmas. Good to see! The projects thread was all the way on page 3, so I thought it was time for an update. I haven't been doing much on projects lately. My attention has been taken by the bad news on TV, and keeping us supplied on the homefront. Also my work has picked up considerably.

I have ordered some Joes recently, but none that need work. I have a couple of new Classic Collection Joes, and a Masterpiece Edition on it's way. I also purchased a reproduction of an Adventure Locker from 69. I think my next project will be sorting through some of my knock-off stuff better. I already have separate bags for Big Jim, Stony Smith, and Best of the West, but I don't have places to sort Mr. Action, Fighting Yank, and some of the other knock-off companies producing Joe gear during the 60's and 70's. I have a few online resources to help with identifying at least some of the pieces, and I've started a list of what I think I've got. Next will be to get some gallon storage bags, label them, and start putting things where they belong.

Comment

• Current project update: got the wheels and axles for the next MSV 6x6 project. Cut out the floorpan and cut the axle races. All I have to do is paint, cut the axles to length, and assemble it. I'll post pics when done.

Comment

• Attached Files
            Last edited by Unveiled; 03-22-2021, 06:34 AM.

Comment

• ATC
              ATC commented
              Editing a comment
              Great job! I always thought the Anzac uniforms were uniquely appropriate for the black Joes. The Coastwatchers were mostly POCs with a few Caucasians tossed in. I put one together based on a vintage Land Adventurer: http://www.gijoe.50megs.com/coastpg.html
              I also put together a unit of Anzacs: http://gijoe.50megs.com/ANZAC.html
              I've swapped out the white Joes when I ended up with a light AA ME figure and a darker AA 40th figure. I paired them up with the FDNY Real Hero guy, and ended up with an ANZAC trio that I really like. All of them wear the repro Aussie uniform.
              Good work on yours, Unveiled!
              - ATC

Name:	image_1156.jpg
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	5157Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1155.jpg
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	5158Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1154.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	5160Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1159.jpg
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	5159
            I purchased a large lot recently that had these three AT guys. The Land Adventurer had cracked KFG hands, so I've already replaced them with Geyperman hands. The Land Adventurer's uniform was in the lot, so these are his original fatigues. The Sea Adventurer still has decent original KFG hands. They are intact, and still flexible. I may replace them someday, but not a priority for now. The Sea Adventurer's uniform is for a muscle body Sea Adventurer. This guy is a classic body. But the uni looks nice on him, and has the original sticker. He does have a balding spot on the top of his head, however I think I'll just leave it, since it doesn't show, and the rest of the hair is in excellent shape. The Atomic Man is the real project here. You can see the deterioration of the KFG hands. Also, he had shorts which were all stretched out, and will be replaced with a nicer pair. He also has darkened arm and leg, which I don't know how to correct - however, the leg is incorrectly installed. The thigh is the left thigh, however the lower leg is put on backwards, with the knee joint flexing the wrong way. The easy fix will be the hands. I just got in a new shipment of Geyperman hands today, and he'll get two tonight. But fixing the leg will either require a transplant, or I'll need to remove the pin, and then replace it after fixing the orientation. So this may be my first pin replacement. Not much to lose, Here they are!
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20210609_171615.jpg Views:	1 Size:	130.3 KB ID:	5156
            Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 06-10-2021, 12:57 AM.

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	56.0 KB ID:	5162 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	54.9 KB ID:	5163 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	73.9 KB ID:	5164

Mail call today was very exciting! I received the huge lot I won a few days ago with all the vehicles. These two Joes were included. As you can see, the non-talking MOA was mauled by one of the wild animals the Adventure Team so frequently engaged, (or possibly by the original owner's brother, or the family dog). He needs a new right foot, a new right forearm, and a new left calf. He also needs two new KFG hands. His flocking is perfect, and his stringing is still fairly tight, so no restringing required. I'll have him fixed up in no time and ready to rejoin the Adventure Team! The Talking MOA needs restringing, but has perfect flocking, and no injuries of any kind, except for a left shoulder which needs a new attachment. However his tag is cut in half, and will need to be replaced. Also the string is wrapped tightly around his neck. May need voice repairs. But still a very nice figure.
              Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 06-11-2021, 05:31 AM.

Comment

• After a friendly tip from Daryl about the Mike Power leg above, I tried twisting the knee, and it did in fact twist 180 degrees around, and is now properly oriented. Thanks Daryl! I might not have tried it otherwise. Now I'm in search of a KFG wrist peg I got from the figure at post #147 above. I've decided to make him a hard hands Joe, which is what I think he really is. I'll use the KFG peg in the non-talking MOA I have, which will complete that restoration. I'll post pics once I have him reassembled. It was an easy fix, but required many of the good parts I still had on hand - especially feet. I may have to restock soon, or else start buying Elite Brigade parts to make life (and the budget) easier.

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	113.3 KB ID:	5167 I finished fixing up two Joes today. It was a rainy day today, so I had some time on my hands. The Mike Powers figure has his leg re-oriented, and has new KFG hands from Geyperman. He also got a new Mike Powers uniform from my stores. His shorts were pretty worn out and faded. The MOA has several shots to show the replaced parts including the right foot, the left calf, the right lower arm and peg, and both KFG hands. I found a nice uniform for him and he's wearing his original boots (or those of the talking MOA - but both are original to the set). The only remaining step is to tighten the joint in the Atomic Man's bionic knee, and also to wash the face and flocking of the MOA. Enjoy!
                  Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 06-12-2021, 08:55 PM.

Comment

• Nice work! Lookin' good!
                    - ATC

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	164.3 KB ID:	5186 Just placed a large (for me) order with Cotswold's. I'm stocking up on helmet clips, d-rings tent poles/stakes, and pilot mask plugs. Also picking up repros of hard to find comics like Jaws of Death, Attack at Vulture Falls, and the Atomic Man Training Center. I've decided that the 1975 AT stuff is just too hard to find, and way too pricey to pursue all of it in vintage. Reading Derryl DePriest's wonderful "The Collectible Gi Joe" clued me in the the rarity of these sets, which weren't in as much demand by 75. I also went through all of my belts last night, and counted the ones that need sliders. Unfortunately Cots doesn't carry tan colored sliders. But I'm picking up a few of the green ones and some of the white ones too. I want to get my belts in good enough shape that they are all useable, and then will outfit the Joes who need them. I also found only one intact holster in the 20 or so I had in my belts bag. My newest Green Beret got that one. Here's a quick pic of my two complete Green Berets. The one on the left is the newest member of the team. The new GB is the soldier with the ATV from my recent post on the Latest Finds page.
                      Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 06-20-2021, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• My newest project will be fairly small. I just won and received 7 Joe heads from Ebay. I have at least 5 or 6 Joes in storage that have various problems with their faces, or in the case of two PH Joes, they're both pinheads, and I hate pinheads! So both of those Joes will get newer noggins which work better with the various hats and helmets, and just look better. I'll try to match hair color, but failing that, at least the rivet color. I will probably end up with 7 heads which I'll sell probably on Ebay. I'll post some pics here with before and after for each figure so you can see the improvement. I'm looking forward to doing this, since it's easy, and will make a huge difference in my collection.

Comment

• I'm glad my suggestion worked for you Myles! I could see from your photo that the calf of the Atomic Man was turned around.

Those are two great looking Green Berets! I have only one, and the one missing part I has was the dickie. I'm guessing yours are original?
                          I got a repro from 3rd Son Books. Haven't had a chance to put it on him yet (since I'm not sure where I have stored him).

I have one pinhead figure. I've wondered if I cut down the headpost, and heated the head, if it would cool down in correct shape. But I haven't
                          seen any indication of anyone doing that online, He does look different, but with an action soldier helmet he doesn't look much different from
                          the other heads.

Daryl

Comment

• Daryl, to answer your question; Yes the Green Berets are both 100% vintage. The one on the right was assembled from pieces I got in various large lots I've purchased over the past few years. The one on the left, however, except for the belt and holster and boots, - every uniform item came from the auctions held on Spidee's facebook page by Joezeta over the past couple of years. He has much better prices in those auctions, and you can find some nice stuff there for reasonable prices. I'm not going to try anything with the pinhead Joe heads. It's too hard to remove from the pegs, and the heads are noticeably smaller than the regular Joe heads. So those will go on Ebay where someone who likes these heads can buy them.

Comment

Name:	20210810_225939.jpg
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	5247 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210810_225731.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	5244 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210810_225743.jpg
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	5245 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210810_225809.jpg
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	5246

Hey Joeheads! I mostly finished a project tonight. It's for the blonde foreign-headed talker at post #152 above. I had his voice box fixed by Scott Wilde. He turned out to be a talking Action Pilot! So I found an orange flight suit for him, but will fish out an older one with the tabs on the waist to honor this older Joe. He is waiting on boots which are currently on their way to my storehouse. I fixed the right arm tonight. I found that a "placeholder" upper arm I put on before shipping him to Scott, matches the rivet color very well. Also, the part just under the shoulder piece detached very easily due to a crack in the replacement shoulder part. However this allowed me to "plug" the rest of the original arm right into place. So now I have an all-vintage repair, which looks identical to the original broken part, and is holding in place nicely. His voice works, and he is now ready for re-outfitting, and to report for duty in the local US Air Force Joe unit. Located in my study. I will post photos of him tonight. Aim High!!!!
                              Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 08-11-2021, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X