• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    Found a good photo. I'm pretty sure this is the one you had. The Joe in the tan uni above is one I just purchased. I'll look for a tag when he arrives. I'll also look through my other stuff. Like to help if I can.

In the meantime, you can get the whole uniform here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-VINTAG...IAAOSw1hZeSzaS
    Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 12-24-2020, 06:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	figting_yank.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	4662Click image for larger version

Name:	Vintage-Original-Mego-FIGHTING-YANK-Figure-w-MP.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	4663

I'll bet this is one that you've described. I think your tan version is on the card back here.
    I haven't come across it, but will be on the lookout. You always find knockoff stuff in large lots. I do think I have some of the blue jackets from the West Point cadet, and also probably some of the Navy Dress uniforms. Also have a white rifle,and an unpainted brown one (both M-1s) which could be Fighting Yank. I'll go through my stuff sometime and post a photo for you. Then maybe we can figure out if I have any of the stuff you had back then.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• TNshooter
    replied
    Yes, the box back shown is for the Fighting Yank of the '70's. They changed the figure after the lawsuit from Hasbro. I found this photo of the original figure that caused the lawuit,
    because his hand had the backward thumbnail that Joes had.

Name:	fighting yank.jpg
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	4659

He had a metal dog tag, and his hands were copied from Joe. I have this uni somewhere, and as I recall the dog tag, but the uni is in sad shape.
    You can barely make out the lettering on his shirt were it says Fighting Yank.

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    I found this site a while ago. It may have something that would help. Don't know. https://www.crazedfanboy.com/spotlig...knockoffs.html

Leave a comment:

• TNshooter
    replied
    Yes and no. It was 52 years ago I had them. Does that uni have any kind of tag in it? To be honest I don't recall it having that many pockets.
    I remember the helmet was solid white and had MP on the front, but no stripes that I think the Joe helmets had. I don't remember red stitching
    on the collar. Oh! I just remembered the shirt was an "Ike" style. And I think the uni was lighter in color. I also remember a green shirt with the same "Ike" style.
    It may have been the uni with the small mortar (which was probably about 4-5" tall).

I'm sorry to be so vague, but it was such a long time ago.

The belt, I think, was the same color as the uni, with a holster that looked exactly like Joe's with a .45 and a white billy club with a red wrist strap.
    My mother was always pulling the tiny items from sets, especially after my younger brother was born. The air force dress blues had a necktie
    and a pin of small wings. I remember Christmas morning she said she was going to put those aside so my brother wouldn't choke on them.
    That was the last I ever saw of them.

I wish someone had a Fighting Yank reference site. I could probably remember what I had if I saw a photo of them.

But thanks for showing me the photo!!! I need to dig out my figures to see what I have. I'm thinking the first figure I got had his original in the box uni,
    with a metal dog tag. The uni was in rough shape, a pullover shirt that said Fighting Yank along with baggy green pants.

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	4650

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	1 Size:	50.2 KB ID:	4649

Does this look like the tan uniform?
    Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 12-23-2020, 07:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TNshooter
    replied
    Whoa, I got a few Fighting Yanks for cheap over the years, just to have. I don't know what Joe dog tags sell for these days, but if I were to spend that kind of money it would be for a Joe dog tag.
    But I appreciate your finding it and sending me the link.

I'm trying to remember the uniforms I had as a kid. I recall one, I think it was a camo shirt and pants with a pretty small spring loaded mortar and a cloth hat that I think was supposed to be a beret
    but fit Joe more like a tobagan. I also had a light tan/beige/off white MP uniform with a white helmet. And an air force dress blues. That's all I can think of at the moment. I didn't have shorts or a sailor's
    dungarees. The camo pants may be what I had. I remember the clothing was of the same quality as Joe uniforms.

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    Found a link to a Fighting Yank dog tag for you Daryl

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied

Name:	s-l500.jpg
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	4644

Daryl, I'll let you know. I have a sizable collection of knockoff uniforms and clothing already. I also would like to see pics of your collection sometime. If you have a link, I'll check it out. Here are some photos of the set with the Sea Adventurer I just purchased. Do any of these look like the uniforms you are searching for?
    Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 12-22-2020, 07:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TNshooter
    replied
    Scumbag alert! That was pretty low for the guy to back out after you paid for them. I think the original price is a bit steep. Although Joe stuff is selling for more than it did a few years ago, I got a couple of pygmy gorillas and a shoulder holster
    for far less than $84. And I'm talking three different sellers. The shoulder holster was the highest at maybe $25. I think I got the gorillas for around $8-10 each.

I found out after becoming an adult collector that a lot of the uniforms I had as a child were Fighting Yank, not Joe. So when you get the Sea Adventurer, and the clothes are not Joe, I would appreciate it if you let me know. I have a handful
    of Fighting Yank figures I got through the years (I didn't know about them when I was a kid) but it would be great if I could get some of the clothing for them.

The Marine Jungle Fighter set has a machete, so if you don't already have one, that will leave you with one extra.

Vintage boots, I have found, are hard to get. And not cheap. That's why my vintage guys are wearing repros. LOL

You seem to have a knack at finding great item lots and other stuff!

Daryl

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    I've been buying several things from Ebay in the past few days. I put a bid on two AT Joes on Facebook marketplace. I think I'll get them. I also tried to buy a vintage Abominable Snowman with a paint-free pygmy gorilla on Etsy today, but the seller backed out after I purchased and paid for the two (and also an AT shoulder holster). He said his fiancee had posted the sales prematurely and apologized, but then relisted all three items at much higher prices. I was getting all three for about $84, and the re-posted prices were north of $120 all together. What a raw deal! If you ever deal with an Atlanta reseller, check with me. You don't want to deal with a dishonest seller ever. So tonight I looked around Ebay, and found 3p of repro tall brown boots. The seller offered a discount, which I accepted. I got all three for less than the cost of 1p of vintage boots. These will stand in for now, until I can get vintage for the Marines I'm putting together - plus a couple of soldiers. And I also ordered a Sea Adventurer today, who comes with a lot of clothes, but whether they're Gi Joe is questionable. His flocking looks perfect though. Most of my Sea Adventurers have sort of crushed hair, or they look too uniform and neat. I don't think they're reflocks, but they don't quite look like the other Joes. Tonight I finally purchased one of the Canadian replicas of the Adventure wooden locker. I've been wanting one for a long time - especially since finding the vintage Astro Locker. So that's a box checked for me. And I also picked up a set of 3 Gi Joe vintage machetes. I'm going to need one of the 3 very soon, since I'll be putting together my Mouth of Doom set. This way I'll have a couple of spares.

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied

Name:	
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	4613Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	4612

There are still some good deals out there. I found this on Ebay a few days ago for $99. I thought that was a good price for an all-vintage Astro locker. I hope they post some of the other '69 lockers at that price!

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied

Here is the new uniform on a PH Joe who has been used as an Action Marine. I have all of the accessories in various bins, so will need to get the quartermaster (me) to dig into the stores and outfit this guy. Here's a better picture showing the awesome color of this uniform. The only real issue with the uniform is the snaps. They are all in various stages of corrosion, and the center snap on the front of the shirt will not stay closed. But I think this is a minor issue.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• TNshooter
    replied
    Great score! I've heard the Marine Jungle uniform is prone to fading, and that it's hard to get a set of pants and shirt that match in color. And for 60 bucks? That's a steal.
    You mentioned getting a mixed set of hands, I noticed he seems to have two left hands. The right hand is a gripping left hand, what I can tell from the photos.

I know you're leaning toward KFG, but since the right hand (as you said was dried out) is a left hand, if it were me I would go with the original hard hands. Since that's
    what the figure originally came with. Just my humble opinion, after all it's up to you.

But like I said, it's a Great Score! The uniform of the set is the hardest to find in good condition, the accessories shouldn't be too hard to find. He will be a great addition to your collection!

Daryl

Leave a comment:

• Myles_Falworth
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	53.6 KB ID:	4591Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	44.8 KB ID:	4592Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	44.0 KB ID:	4593Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	57.8 KB ID:	4594Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	65.1 KB ID:	4595
    Here he is! Mail call today brought in this wounded trooper. He seems to have paint or something covering his face and neck, and it looks grey. Will probably come off with a good wash. The right hand is also a dried out KFG hand, while the left hand is the original HH kind. I'll have to decide which to make him. I'm leaning towards KFG however, since I don't have many of those. He also will need at least a partial reflock. The uniform is beautiful. Small rust spot in the middle of the back, but both shirt and pants are Hong Kong tagged, and all snaps are present. Color is nice too. Not much fading. I found this guy by responding to an ad for a vintage Joe on Facebook marketplace. I asked the seller whether he was still available, and when she said it was, I asked whether they had any other Joe stuff. She send pictures of 7 Joes and 4 footlockers. I told her I was interested in the guy in the green outfit, and she said they could do $60 for him - so I happily agreed! They wanted $2000 for the rest of the set, which is too rich for my blood though. So today my Joe arrived in a splendid 1967 Jungle Fighter uniform. He also came with short black boots in minty condition and an AT dog tag with vintage chain. The figure himself has no cracks that I can find. Really nice figure but for the (hopefully) paint job and the flocking. Should make a nice addition to the Adventure Team. The uniform of course will go to a deserving Action Marine in my collection. I'll have to decide which one gets the treatment. Then I'll post pics of the whole set. Try Facebook marketplace! You never know what you're gonna find!
    Some kind of grey gook all over the face and neck.  Looks like a corpse. All chevrons and patches in place and looking sharp! You can see the KFG hand here. Here's the left side showing the HH and the other insignia.
    Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 12-12-2020, 10:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X