• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your current project?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice pickups Myles! That last set has some nice body parts. The figure on the left, I'm curious, if a little removing of the flocking on the chin and under the bottom lip.
    Would it give him a mutton chop? That would make for an interesting character.

Comment

• I found there was only one forearm in the lot that could take a KFG peg. So I can't outfit all these Joes with hands. Rats!

Comment

• I've had limited success with talker repair, but I have gotten lucky a time or two.
        Here's some things I've learned.
        Patience, first of all. If you get frustrated, walk away and come back later.
        The needle must be in good condition, and fairly sharp. Not too sharp, as it'll cut through the talker tape.
        Check the condition of the needle with a strong magnifier.
        If you need to replace the needle, a 78RPM record needle is a perfect replacement.
        The hairspring that controls the needle movement, can be replaced with the wire that's in a sewing needle threader. https://www.michaels.com/loops-and-t...MaAk4IEALw_wcB
        I clean everything with alcohol and a Q-tip, especially the voice tape.
        You can remove the flywheel cover, with careful prying. You can soften the glue joint with acetone or liguid model car glue, like Ambroid or Tenax.
        Once you get to the flywheel, you can remove and clean it. Look for the two felt pads that attach to the flyweights; the pads can be replaced with new felt.
        It seems the pads are the main things that control the speed of the voice. I've played with the felt by starting out with thicker pieces, then trimming to get the voice sounding right.
        That was the most tedious part of the repairs for me.
        There was also a piece of black foam glued to the back of the talk box, that made contact with the talker chest back half.
        Seems that foam helped keep pressure against the speaker.
        There was also a very small piece of foam glued to the inside of the chest front half, right where the talker string goes through.
        I've read the purpose of this foam was to clean the string, and to minimally regulate the talker speed.
        Just make sure everything is clean before reassembly.
        I guess you could use some light oil, like clockmakers use, for lubrication of moving points, but I've never felt the need to.
        If everything is clean and in good order, your talker should work well again.
        I've managed to get soldiers, and AT Commanders to talk good again.
        I'm working on a Marine and Sailor right now; the Marine is giving me fits.
        Sometimes, no matter what you do, you can only go so far with successful repairs.
        Hope this helps.
        Camo

Comment

• Thanks Camojoe! That really does help. I always love to see a detailed description of repair technique like yours. THANKS!

Comment

• Fascinating!
            - Mr Spock

Comment

• I forgot one thing. If you see corrosion on metal parts, like the flywheel axle, don't use sandpaper to remove the rust.
              I use a light steel wool, or a scotchbrite pad.
              Just be sure to remove all residue.
              Camo

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	65.2 KB ID:	5739 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	58.7 KB ID:	5740

I got an AT Commander in need of several repairs today at mail call. He has good flocking, but needs a cleanup, new KFG hands, restringing, a uniform, dog tag, and repairs to the talking mechanism. He also needs new pieces on both arms to keep them from being floppy. So that will require replacing the arm rivets. Definitely a project Commander. The nice thing is, I feel motivated to do all of it myself, since he needs so much attention. This is my first KFG Commander. So I will keep him and restore him back to duty status. It will take some time however. Here's a couple of "before" photos of him from Ebay.

I also won an Joezeta auction item last night. Just an AT hand and forearm. I'll use that to finish the Sea Adventurer in the post above. Then I will find uniforms and gear for the 4 completed Joes from the sets in posts 198 and 209 above. Hope to get photos up this weekend. It's been a long time since I had something finished to show!
                Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 09-02-2022, 01:22 AM.

Comment

• Won an AT Commander uniform on Joezeta's auction, which was on again last night due to technical problems on Wednesday night. It should be here in about a week, and will be waiting at the Quartermaster's shop for the Commander to pick up once he's declared fit for duty. May be a while until that happens. But at least now he'll look like a Commander when he's finished.

Comment

• Well, I opened up the Commander today. I found the pivot joints holding the arms on are in perfect condition except they are hard and smooth, so it's a mystery why the arms were so floppy. Also, there is a good speaker, and everything inside looks clean and in place. Next thing I'll try is some oil on the axle of the fly wheel if i can get a drop in there. It seems the tape retracts haltingly, and never smoothly. So maybe a little oil there could cure it. If not, I plan to open the fly wheel housing and take a look in there. That to me is for emergencies only. Something I've never tried, and worried that I'd break it beyond repair if I did. I will get some acetone first to try the loosening Camo recommended. I can probably get felt from Michael's craft. This could be a difficult repair.

I went ahead and gave him new Geyperman KFG hands today. I have a stock of those I always keep for KFG repairs. Often that's all they need. I really love those hands. $7.99 at Cots.
                    Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 09-02-2022, 10:50 PM.

Comment

• Nice!
                      It's fun tracking your progress as these projects evolve!
                      Keep up the good work!
                      :-)
                      - ATC

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	94.2 KB ID:	5756

Here are the three new Joes from posts 207 and 209. I finally got hands for all of them. I should also have boots for them, and maybe even holsters. I'll have to decide which uniforms to put them in. I'll post photos once they are outfitted. This was a nice project. All still have original stringing, and were restored with original parts. Two will need reflocking. That will happen shortly once I find out if I get a job I've applied for internal to my organization. The scratched LA intrigues me the most. He must have done a belly crawl in a creek bed back in the 70s. I remember a commercial where Joe did just that, and always wanted to with my Joe - except there was no creek near my home. He'll be put in rugged gear of some kind, since he had a rugged life.
                        Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 09-09-2022, 03:44 AM.

Comment

• Well done! It sounds like you had fun putting them all together too! Good luck on your job application.
                          HUZZAH!
                          - ATC

Comment

• I looked back at the first post when I started this thread. I listed two projects I was working on.
                            - M5 kangaroo - I ended up putting a quasi interior into that tank and mounted the 37 mm anti-tank gun in the turret rather than that silly dart-shooting cannon. The turret is removable, so it would pass for a kangaroo, although I never detailed the interior like one, nor did I add any British decals. I'm going to call that one "done."
                            - Joe Rocketship - I'm finally getting around to this one, at last! I started that description in a new thread. I have been road locked by an inability to find a big piece of sheet plastic. Solved that problem!

It's funny how time flies...
                            - ATC

Comment

• That's what I like about this older format - the bulletin board websites. You can find your old posts easily, and reflect on what you've said and done. And also find your photos!

Comment

• I reached a decision yesterday and made a deal to bring Scott Wilde in on two restorations. He will fix the voice for the Action "Soldier" (what I think he is) in post 197 & 198 above, and also the AT Commander in post 217. So then in October, I'll have two more working Gi Joes in my collection. Scott has helped me many times with fixing talkers, and has never failed to return a Gi Joe in good working order. I'm looking forward to picking these up from him and shaking his hand again at the Kane County show. He also now does repairs to the Troubleshooter talking units. I have one of those which will be either shipped to him or dropped off in October.

The Commander got his face washed tonight. He has no eyebrows, but looks much better than in the photos. More cleaning will be done once the voices are working, especially on the Talking Soldier, which needs a deep cleaning.
                                Last edited by Myles_Falworth; 09-19-2022, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X